Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to compete with dying p/s pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Need to compete with dying p/s pump

I'm up tomorrow for a champ event (points) and the p/s is making the moan/groan dying noise buy still is giving assist so far.

Any issue running this for 4 champ runs tomorrow?

Redline full syn fluid.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:20 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I would run it. I have had power steering pumps whine and as long as it is still providing assist, it's good to go.

BTW - Turn One is having a 20% off sale this month so you should order now. I did and saved 66.00. Get it with their pulley too.

www.turnone-steering.com/‎
All Turn One power steering pumps are now 20% off! When purchasing, use the coupon code "250LIKES" to receive the 20% off discount. Enjoy! Coupon code ...

G/L
Old 08-03-2013, 08:17 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2002rich
Honestly, I would run it. I have had power steering pumps whine and as long as it is still providing assist, it's good to go.

BTW - Turn One is having a 20% off sale this month so you should order now. I did and saved 66.00. Get it with their pulley too.

www.turnone-steering.com/‎
All Turn One power steering pumps are now 20% off! When purchasing, use the coupon code "250LIKES" to receive the 20% off discount. Enjoy! Coupon code ...

G/L
Excellent. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Looks like 250 plus 80 for the pully less 20% so about $264.

What's a stock one run?

ac delco reman $65.

AC delco new $277.

Above Rock auto.

If a reman will last a couple of years, maybe the way to go?

Not tt or wtw.

Not a hard part to bolt in.

Last edited by froggy47; 08-03-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:36 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I ran Laguna Seca a few years ago with a failing rack. It was not fun, but doable...It would kick in and kick out at the "worst" times...hehe. Drove it for a day, then got a remaned rack the next day. I replaced the pump with a Turn One and never had a problem.

This was all in my Camaro, the Corvette has the stock PS pump as the Turn One pump was damaged in my wreck. It has been OK so far.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Not a hard part to bolt in.
That's nice, because it is a real bitch on a C6 with the ABS valve block in the way.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:05 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Save your self a lot of time and aggrivation in the long run. Replace the pump with a Turn One - do it once, do it right - then never have to worry about it again. Be sure to purchase their slotted billet pulley well worth the $. Makes install A LOT easier than the plastic GM unit.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:14 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Save your self a lot of time and aggrivation in the long run. Replace the pump with a Turn One - do it once, do it right - then never have to worry about it again. Be sure to purchase their slotted billet pulley well worth the $. Makes install A LOT easier than the plastic GM unit.

I talked to one of the guys there and they say the pulley allows the pump to run cooler and therefore the fluid won't damage the components in your rack. Considering how hard it is to get hold of racks right now (I had to replace my, due to an issue with a magnetically balanced piece with the variable assist it was unable to be rebuilt) I consider it not just the price of the pump but an investment in your steering rack.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
I ran Laguna Seca a few years ago with a failing rack. It was not fun, but doable...It would kick in and kick out at the "worst" times...hehe. Drove it for a day, then got a remaned rack the next day. I replaced the pump with a Turn One and never had a problem.

This was all in my Camaro, the Corvette has the stock PS pump as the Turn One pump was damaged in my wreck. It has been OK so far.
I "think" the rack is fine, just a noisy pump.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Is there a way to tell if the rack is ok? 55k miles stock rack. Everything works ok just the moan/groan.

I do know what a failed ps pump feels like, had one go on my 1996 lt4, it reverts to armstrong steering. Rack was fine.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:56 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Is there a way to tell if the rack is ok? 55k miles stock rack. Everything works ok just the moan/groan.

I do know what a failed ps pump feels like, had one go on my 1996 lt4, it reverts to armstrong steering. Rack was fine.

I don't know a scientific way...but mine felt like it was kicking back or fighting me on turns where the pump was taxed. Thought/hoped it was a pump but there was no moan, and it drove fine at low speeds.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I don't know a scientific way...but mine felt like it was kicking back or fighting me on turns where the pump was taxed. Thought/hoped it was a pump but there was no moan, and it drove fine at low speeds.
Thanks,

I ran 4 comp runs today, I'm thinking the ps is a bit heavy but not at all like my lt4 which truly reverted to armstrong. I run 295 a6 hoosier so that itself is a bit like turning a steam roller.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

That happened on two of my C5s. While going around a long right hand corner the steering boost would cut out and back on. It caused a lot of jerking of the steering wheel as I went around the corner and the steering effort increased and decreased.

Bill
Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still running the original pump from '99 in my car with 315's and I did buy the Turn One pulley because it makes maintenance a ton easier.

The key is slow down the pump rotation, synthetic fluid (Amsoil here) and lots of cooling! I use a cheap trans cooler from Advance Auto. It was about $50.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman

I talked to one of the guys there and they say the pulley allows the pump to run cooler and therefore the fluid won't damage the components in your rack. Considering how hard it is to get hold of racks right now (I had to replace my, due to an issue with a magnetically balanced piece with the variable assist it was unable to be rebuilt) I consider it not just the price of the pump but an investment in your steering rack.
Was this on the C5, what happened
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Was this on the C5, what happened
It was. The boots on the PS rack were "wet" and I had to top off the PS pump reservoir. After I had the pump lock up on me on my last lap at VIR (turn one where I'd gone a bit deep, not fun!) I took it over to see Kurt @ Phoenix. Got a rack from a salvage yard and sent the original to Turn One, who told me it wasn't repairable.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM
0Johnny@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turn one's are a nice little upgrade
Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Froggy mine started groaning about June last year and I continued to run it every weekend until this past April when my Balancer walked off and destroyed the rack. It just wouldn't die! Anyway got a turn one, though I haven't tried it out yet it's a really nice looking unit. Get the pulley it will make your life easier in the long run.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks all, I ordered a new pump & will do a vid on install.

Don't want that noise plus running with a dying pump "may" damage the rack, my rack is good at this point.

Get notified of new replies

To Need to compete with dying p/s pump

Quick Reply: Need to compete with dying p/s pump