Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross Video. Steve A. 7/28/2013.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Autocross Video. Steve A. 7/28/2013.

Here's the latest news. I sold my Corvette. All of my videos were posted under "A&A Corvette Autocross Videos." This day I drove a 2008 Z06. Stock, except for a bigger front sway bar and Hoosier tires. Next time I get a chance, it will have my camera setup I hope. I didn't expect much performance, since it has such tall gearing in 2nd. After the first few corners, I knew I had a very fast car. The car might have been a little slow exiting those slow corners, but I'm not sure if the tires could have handled anymore anyway. Then when the rpm's got higher, it was a blast. Like riding a rocket down the track. The slalom speed was like nothing else I've driven also. Amazing. I went over to my friend with the 04 Z06 that I usually drive, and told him we were wasting our time with his car. Nothing against C5's, but this newer Z06 was in a class of its own. Here's the video.

Steve A.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Cool Steve. It's funny, I still hear from different people that they prefer the C6Z over the C5Z and visa versa for auto-x. How did your times compare with the C5Z? The guys that bought my T1 car have been taking top time of the day in it ever since they bought it. And that's going against modified C6Z's on hoosiers. I think all the weight reduction I did in the front along with the chassis stiffening from the cage is the main reason.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Where's the autox? That's pretty straight, I don't doubt the c6 liked it.

Pull out of some TIGHT corners with an M12 tranny and it would be different I'd venture.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The funny thing is that the C6 Z06 is a non competitive car vs the C5z and the GS, At the national lvl Some of the best have tried and cant win in one. You seem to have a course designer that keeps things very open and fast. Way faster than what the national SCCA office would allow
now a C6 Z06 with the GS gears, is a hard car to beat, and the GS gears hurt the vette when it gets out on a road course
Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redtopz
Cool Steve. It's funny, I still hear from different people that they prefer the C6Z over the C5Z and visa versa for auto-x. How did your times compare with the C5Z? The guys that bought my T1 car have been taking top time of the day in it ever since they bought it. And that's going against modified C6Z's on hoosiers. I think all the weight reduction I did in the front along with the chassis stiffening from the cage is the main reason.
Tom Berry in the Evo was 1.6 seconds ahead. He was top time for a car. The other modified cars were anywhere from 1 second to .10 ahead of me. I PAX 8th. It's really hard to compare times. I've PAX 1st. in the C5 Z06 before and usually in the top 10. Looking at that, the C6 Z06 is not any faster.

Originally Posted by bsalie99
The funny thing is that the C6 Z06 is a non competitive car vs the C5z and the GS, At the national lvl Some of the best have tried and cant win in one. You seem to have a course designer that keeps things very open and fast. Way faster than what the national SCCA office would allow
now a C6 Z06 with the GS gears, is a hard car to beat, and the GS gears hurt the vette when it gets out on a road course
The C6 Z06 is probably more track dependent then the C5. Seat of the pants feel, the C6 felt super fast. More then likely, because it seems to have a power band. So when it gets in those higher rpm's, it takes off. The C5 is more linear. I would have to do more then 4 laps to make a better comparison. But on this day, this track, and my driving style, the C6 was fantastic.

Steve A.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Steve,

On the typical autox course is there a general rule of thumb for how much more time might be saved per 100lbs lost off the car?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Steve,

On the typical autox course is there a general rule of thumb for how much more time might be saved per 100lbs lost off the car?
No general rule that I'm aware of. My car was down to #2760 with Aero when I sold it. During practice runs, I had the passenger seat in and a passenger. So you're looking at #200 min. When it came to race time, I kicked out the passenger and took out the seat. More times then not, I went a tad slower. .10 to .50 That totally confused me. My car was corner weighted and the sway bars were all neutral with only me in the car. I think the passengers weight added more rear traction. It offset the added weight. ???????

Steve A.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross Video. Steve A. 7/28/2013.

Quick Reply: Autocross Video. Steve A. 7/28/2013.