Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me into (or out of) a GTA/ASA Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Talk me into (or out of) a GTA/ASA Car

I've done 9 track days/HPDE this year for a grand total of 10. Current car is a 2013 Z06 that is an ABSOLUTE blast to drive (both on road and at the track). It is bone stock with the exception of a set of Sport Cups, LG Wheels and a PFADT Rear Tow Hook.

I *really* like track days and would like to progress further (time trials, w2w etc)...I also know that I need safety equipment and that when/if I have an incident that it would bring the suck to have it happen in my '13 Z...so, all that being said...if I'm going to drop a bunch of $$$ into track days then I might as well have a full-time car for it.

I'm literally a breath away from keeping Sport Cups on my car full time (yes, I know, these are not 100% track tires, but I'm moving that way)...blame it on bosco (I've read too many of your threads/posts) but I'm really leaning towards a GTA/ASA car. They seem to offer a HUGE bang for the buck and it looks like they are reliable for what they are. I see a truck and trailer in my future as well as a track membership (or two!). Appreciate any input from those that have been down this road (bosco) or have thought about it...
Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the switch to a converted ASA Monte Carlo 2+ yrs ago. Fast, fun and affordable (relative to trcking a vette). For track this was the best decision for me, no regrets. Be prepared 1st time out, it handles different than the vette. Bias ply tires allow for a lot more pitching and catching than radials.

Best advice I can give is to buy from a reputable race shop or racer. I purchased mine from Scott Lagasse Racing in St Augustine FL. Bosco recommended him but I also found several additional references on their work. He is building a car that he is looking to sell right now.

video from June
https://vimeo.com/69693616
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't beat up a street car. Buy an old used tube-frame race car and drive it as hard as you can. You won't come close to its potential, so you won't hurt it.

If you run into something, it's an easy and cheap fix, especially compared to a street car.

I converted a salvage Viper into a race car; I felt guilty trashing a perfectly fine mint street car. Going to a used stock car is even better.

You won't be disappointed, trust me.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I've a ASA LS1 powered car and trailer I'm considering selling and going in a different direction. Car is well sorted with no issue. Runs great. Price would be FIRM at $25,000 including trailer. I've got a lot more in it than that. However, I'm not sure I want to sell the trailer. Car is housed just up the road from you at Hallett. Bosco and Greg at Pinnacle and Scott Stephens who runs the race shop at Hallett know the car well.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 08-15-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by Webz
I made the switch to a converted ASA Monte Carlo 2+ yrs ago. Fast, fun and affordable (relative to trcking a vette). For track this was the best decision for me, no regrets. Be prepared 1st time out, it handles different than the vette. Bias ply tires allow for a lot more pitching and catching than radials.

Best advice I can give is to buy from a reputable race shop or racer. I purchased mine from Scott Lagasse Racing in St Augustine FL. Bosco recommended him but I also found several additional references on their work. He is building a car that he is looking to sell right now.

video from June
https://vimeo.com/69693616
I'm definitely curious as to how it drives, that is for sure. My only experience with bias ply tires are on my old rockcrawler, but that's an entirely different discipline.

That's a sweet video there...picking on all those vettes...and then you let the viper by...LOL...just teasing, you were slowing down to pit out.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Rick: that is a SWEET car (and trailer) you have there! Definitely one of the better looking ones that I've seen for sale. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, but if/when, I will keep your car/trailer in mind. I'm trailerless (and truckless) right now so a package like yours is really nice. May I ask the direction you are going?

Regarding Pinnacle - I have not talked with Greg yet, but I plan to. Everything I've heard about him/Pinnacle has been good, especially regarding GTA/ASA cars. Last time I was at ECR the shop was closed (they were racing out of town from what I recall). If I do go with one of these cars I most likely would join ECR and garage it there (I'm right at an hour from ECR and MSR). Having Pinnacle at ECR does factor into that decision. Unfortunately I live on a zero lot line and I have a (small) 2 car garage that fits my vette, my ducati and tools without much more room, so a full-on racecar and trailer would have to reside elsewhere (ie - the track!)...and I don't plan on moving anytime soon.

Originally Posted by rikhek
I've a ASA LS1 powered car and trailer I'm considering selling and going in a different direction. Car is well sorted with no issue. Runs great. Price would be FIRM at $25,000 including trailer. I've got a lot more in it than that. However, I'm not sure I want to sell the trailer. Car is housed just up the road from you at Hallett. Bosco and Greg at Pinnacle and Scott Stephens who runs the race shop at Hallett know the car well.

Rick
Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Rick: that is a SWEET car (and trailer) you have there! Definitely one of the better looking ones that I've seen for sale. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, but if/when, I will keep your car/trailer in mind. I'm trailerless (and truckless) right now so a package like yours is really nice. May I ask the direction you are going?

Regarding Pinnacle - I have not talked with Greg yet, but I plan to. Everything I've heard about him/Pinnacle has been good, especially regarding GTA/ASA cars. Last time I was at ECR the shop was closed (they were racing out of town from what I recall). If I do go with one of these cars I most likely would join ECR and garage it there (I'm right at an hour from ECR and MSR). Having Pinnacle at ECR does factor into that decision. Unfortunately I live on a zero lot line and I have a (small) 2 car garage that fits my vette, my ducati and tools without much more room, so a full-on racecar and trailer would have to reside elsewhere (ie - the track!)...and I don't plan on moving anytime soon.
FYI, car was bought from Greg/Pinnacle. I use the trailer as my storage "garage" at Hallett as I don't have room at the house to store. Also great to not have to haul the car around. I've only used the car as a track day toy, no wheel-to-wheel racing. It's a nice car. I bought it for the same reason you're contemplating. Specifically, I'd progressed enough as a driver that I didn't want to subject my 08 Z06 to the rigors of hard driving as well as the expense of consumables running the Z06. The ASA car costs a fraction to run as compared to the Z06. The ASA car is also faster around the track than the Z06...

As far as the direction I'm going you can read about it here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-race-car.html

Last edited by rikhek; 08-15-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you buy one get one that is completely and sorted and ready to run if you can. I bought an out of date roller a couple of years ago and it still sits in my garage waiting for me to finish it. When it's finished it will still be out of date but I will have about 1/4 of the price of an up to date model so it'll be a cheap track toy within my budget. I have vowed to finish it by the end of this year.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by Han Solo
If you buy one get one that is completely and sorted and ready to run if you can. I bought an out of date roller a couple of years ago and it still sits in my garage waiting for me to finish it. When it's finished it will still be out of date but I will have about 1/4 of the price of an up to date model so it'll be a cheap track toy within my budget. I have vowed to finish it by the end of this year.
I'm with you 100% - it has to be 100% turnkey or no dice. I do not have much free time (well, except at work to play on the net...LOL) so I want to spend it having FUN!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Rick - you are a lucky man! I remember seeing that thread. That is good to know where your car came from.

Originally Posted by rikhek
FYI, car was bought from Greg/Pinnacle. I use the trailer as my storage "garage" at Hallett as I don't have room at the house to store. Also great to not have to haul the car around. I've only used the car as a track day toy, no wheel-to-wheel racing. It's a nice car. I bought it for the same reason you're contemplating. Specifically, I'd progressed enough as a driver that I didn't want to subject my 08 Z06 to the rigors of hard driving as well as the expense of consumables running the Z06. The ASA car costs a fraction to run as compared to the Z06. The ASA car is also faster around the track than the Z06...

As far as the direction I'm going you can read about it here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-race-car.html
Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Rick - got a question for you: I'm a lardbutt (6' 300 but I'm working on losing weight)...how much of a pain (ie - how much vaseline will I need to apply to squeeze into a car like yours) will it be to get in/out of a car like yours?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:57 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Rick - got a question for you: I'm a lardbutt (6' 300 but I'm working on losing weight)...how much of a pain (ie - how much vaseline will I need to apply to squeeze into a car like yours) will it be to get in/out of a car like yours?
I'm 6' and was 245 pounds until recently losing 51 pounds. I've had no problem at all getting in/out when I was 245. I don't think you would have a problem but that's pretty subjective. Come up to Hallett for their next HST track day and check it out. You'd get to drive the track in your car and see my car.

Hallett's schedule is available at:

www.hallettracing.net
Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Rick: Thank you for the info, I will have to take you up on your offer this Fall. Have never been to Hallett but have always wanted to go. Their track day pricing is amazingly low!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an ASA car too. I struggled with it at first as it wasn't as sorted as I was told it was. Plus I didn't like the bias ply tire feeling as much but that could have been related to the setup. One thing to consider I ended up getting a set of adapters to change it over to the corvette bolt pattern and wheels to use old scrubs. If you stay with the bias ply tires they are cheap but so are Grand Am take offs. I know I picked up more than 5 seconds a lap switching from a newer set of the 15" bias ply to the a old set of the Pirelli 18" tires. Part of that was me just being more comfortable driving the 18" tires more.

Another thing that is great about these cars is that they are so easy to work on. You car get to everything very easily. I had to pull my transmission and it was out of the car in 15 minutes. Just easy access to everything. It took me longer to get the car up in the air than to get the trans out.

It is a different feeling than driving vettes and other production cars. There isn't a bushing on my car so you feel everything on the track.

It can be brutal in the pits sometimes, no flywheel, smaller turning radius, and a bigger cam...

All that being said I am happy with my choice. I wanted a car with a cage and it seemed to be a cheap way of getting a car that is safer and fast. Finally getting fast in it and its a lot of fun to drive now. If you haven't drive a Tex or a Jerico 4 speed it is a blast to shift without using the clutch. Just slam it in the next gear as hard as possible. Not sure if anyone mentioned it these cars are pretty light. Mine weighed in at 2550 full of gas and the monte body on it. Its currently at 2325, but that is another story...

I say go for it
Old 08-15-2013, 02:50 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Ricky Sanders Racing and Mike Cope Racing have some good cars for sale at very fair prices.

The Lagasse's put together a nice, clean, well set up car as well.

It is hard to go faster for less money than these rides, and if you get tired of the stock car look it is possible to hang the new Howe Camaro or Mustang body on them. My car buider, Woody at Bemco Fab has done several.

Last edited by bosco022; 08-15-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Addicted: I appreciate you posting your experience, definitely good input, thank you. Looking forward to forgetting about the clutch! The lightweight aspect is great too. I like the access you speak of...in my old rockcrawler Jeep everything was easy to get to, makes a big difference when it comes to maintenance/repair, etc.

Bosco: thank you for your input. If you have any input on Rick's #5 car I'd like to hear it.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default ASA/GTA Car

I went through the same decision making process early last year. I did finally go with the ASA/GTA car. I have never regretted the decision and it was the right decision in terms of safety and $$. I had been racing a Corvette in ST-1 for several years prior.
I do agree with "Addicted" in terms of it taking awhile to get a feel for the car. The transmission, the handling etc..... These are no nonsense race cars with no frills. They beg to be driven hard.........
If you want to PM me your number I would be glad to call you and I can answer any questions you may have.
I too may be putting my whole operation up for sale as I have a daughter entering college and the $$ from a sale would help with tuition.
My car is a "Howe Enterprises" car with a Monte Carlo body on it. It actually left the factory as a GTA road race chassis. My car is NOT a converted oval track car. I have a tremendous amount of spares that could go with the car along with a completely decked out 22' Vintage Outlaw trailer. Just a thought.....not sure I am ready to sell but maybe by the end of the season. Good Luck with your decision and I will help any way I can.

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Talk me into (or out of) a GTA/ASA Car

Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Scott - I really appreciate your input, may be sending you a PM over the weekend. I may be ready to move before the end of the season though...getting the itch...looking at trucks/tow rigs tomorrow...

Brad
Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go see Greg Rodgers up at Pinnacle Autosports at Eagle's Canyon in Decatur. He's "local" and always has cars up there for sale or he can build you what you want.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:41 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

As long as we are on the subject - can anyone discuss the pros and cons of an ASA/GTA type stock car vs. a Panoz? I see them come up for sale once in a while and it seems pretty similar type ride.

Quick Reply: Talk me into (or out of) a GTA/ASA Car