Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 normal oil and coolant range when tracking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:38 PM
jranaudo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C5 normal oil and coolant range when tracking?

Does anyone know what the range would be for a normal oil pressure while driving on track and cooling temperatures as well?

I recently had my oil changed and my oil pressure goes between 40 psi and up to 70 PSI if I get on the gas little bit hard. I don't remember this happening before i got my oil changed.

Either way it would be good to know the range of temperatures or PSI before I had to track which I am getting ready to do soon.

thanks!!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

It has been a while since I ran a C5 but the numbers with an engine oil cooler and thermostatic bypass valve installed are very similar to my C6Z. Coolant would run about 230, oil would run about 260 and the oil pressure would vary between 25 at idle and about 50 with engine rpms above 1100 or so.

I didn't really monitor the coolant or psi very much but I did keep an eye on the oil temp. Without an oil cooler I saw oil temps run about 300 degrees on my 97 and on one hot day at the Glen the oil temp on my 03Z hit 319 degrees. With a Ron Davis Racing Radiator w EOC installed the coolant temps dropped down to the 200 level and oil temps dropped to the 230 level. Once I installed the thermostatic bypass the coolant and oil temps went up about 30 degrees each but I could drive the car in 30 to 40 degree weather since the valve kept most of the oil from going through the cooler until the oil temp got above 180.

Bill
Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jranaudo
Does anyone know what the range would be for a normal oil pressure while driving on track and cooling temperatures as well?

I recently had my oil changed and my oil pressure goes between 40 psi and up to 70 PSI if I get on the gas little bit hard. I don't remember this happening before i got my oil changed.

Either way it would be good to know the range of temperatures or PSI before I had to track which I am getting ready to do soon.

thanks!!
Without knowing the oil/wgt/filter/etc it's hard to say, all those make a difference.

Having said that, the range you are listing seems fine to me.

I think you are just paying more attention to the pressure/temp (a good thing).

Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM
jranaudo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes I am paying more attention. Probably it. No oil cooler but probably eventually get one installed at some point.

Thanks guys!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 normal oil and coolant range when tracking?

Quick Reply: C5 normal oil and coolant range when tracking?