Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 guys what are you using for replacement axles half shafts

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C5 guys what are you using for replacement axles half shafts

Just wondering, the threads on mine look they they been through hell. I see C6 Z06 axles on Ebay for $200 ea. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-21-2013, 01:25 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Local Autozone has rebuilt ones for a reasonable price.
When you say the threads on the axle - are you talking the splines that go into the diff on the output shaft or the threaded end that goes through the hub where the large bolt attaches? If the exterior threads are not totally destroyed and just rough, purchase the proper size die and new bolts. Die will be expensive and hard to find, but a lot cheaper than new halfshafts.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:28 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Threads are galled. Running a die down them will most likely just peel them off in places and cause me some serious grief down the road.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:19 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Stay away from parts store axles for track applications!!

The boots are too flimsy and will expand and break things. My buddies track car pictured here. The boot wrapped up at 140mph+ and took out the brake line. He got lucky since the line did not break.

Moe - I have a couple of OEM spares if you need one.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Scott I'm going to just start asking you directly every time I have a question! Thanks for the offer, but I already ordered the new Z06 axles. After some poking around the price wasn't bad and I'm not so hot on using a reman on something like an axle.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins

The boots are too flimsy and will expand and break things. My buddies track car pictured here. The boot wrapped up at 140mph+ and took out the brake line. He got lucky since the line did not break.

Literally exactly what happened to me in early 2008 when I put the car back together from the Pocono accident. Used a parts store axle. Boot swelled, grabbed the brake line and did the exact same thing. My luck was that I was running 2-3 lap tests of everything on the car to make sure it was right after the rebuild. Had I stayed out longer who knows what would have happened. Please do not used flimsy, rubbery boots on axles!!!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I successfully used Advance Auto spares. I had the OEM boots replaced on my OEM axles, but the job was done poorly and they leaked. I previously used a set of NAPA axles, and the boots blew up at 140mph and took out my abs wiring and the fuel pump ground. I also re-routed the hard brake lines after the incident to keep them far away from the boots.
To make the Advance Auto boots work, I zip tied the boots, in the bottom of each accordion valley. It worked for a weekend at Mid-Ohio.

So, in a pinch, you can make parts store ones work, but stick to OEM pieces if at all possible.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

I bought OEM C6 Z06 axles. Got them off ebay $200/ea
Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
I bought OEM C6 Z06 axles. Got them off ebay $200/ea
Somebody told the C6 guys that C5 axles were better and a bunch of them are swapping out their axles for C5s. I got a pair of almost new C6s for $200 from my mechanic and they're doing just fine at 150mph at the Ridge.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

From what I've read, the early C6 axles had issues, so guys were buying the harder C5z axles. They were supposedly corrected, and made even stronger in the C6z models.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins

I should post the picture of my underwear after I saw that on my car after coming off the track.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
From what I've read, the early C6 axles had issues, so guys were buying the harder C5z axles. They were supposedly corrected, and made even stronger in the C6z models.
I snapped a C6Z axle on my dedicated track car (450rwhp, 3150lbs). I have only been tracking it for 1.5 years and I have no idea how many sessions it had before I bought it. My shop told me 04 C5Z axles were the strongest, that is what we threw in. They measure 1.300" in diameter. Anyone have a C6 or C6Z axle handy and can measure them? My spare C6 axle is in the trailer which is in storage, won't have access to it for a couple of weeks.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Correct. The C6Z06 drag racers are using C5Z06 half shafts due to reduced strength in the later model.

That is why you see them on Ebay. Now drag racing puts a lot more stress on the half shaft so road racers may benefit from their takeoffs.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 guys what are you using for replacement axles half shafts

Quick Reply: C5 guys what are you using for replacement axles half shafts