Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QM 5.5" clutch, did I cook this thing and can it be resurfaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default QM 5.5" clutch, did I cook this thing and can it be resurfaced?

I'm going to put a call into QM today, but after 6 miles this thing started slipping like crazy. Everything was installed and adjusted to spec, I double checked. Problem was that to get the car in and out of my workspace I have to weave through a 45,000 sf maze of isles and do 3 really tight K turns with a parallel park job at the end to get into the lift. I didn't realize how hard that is on this clutch until I took it apart. Anyway, moving forward I'll tow the car in on dollys, not a big deal, but what do you think about the fiber plates? They are still well within spec, mic'd at .480. If they are glazed, what can I do to knock it off, sandpaper? How about the steel flywheel plate, just get it resurfaced like any other clutch?

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks
Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Oops forgot pics...

Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong specs, try this again....
For a Pro-Series Clutch the discard spec for discs is .095 but from the looks of it you might be using a Rally setup which is much thicker.
Pressure plate is .528 and the floaters are .177

Turns out V-Drive is the same.

I can't find a spec for the Rally discs but they are much thicker.

Last edited by geerookie; 08-22-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

I think I'm wrong about the actual measurement. I had the clutch specs in front of me for the Vdrive Rally discs when I measured and I was well within spec, just can't remember the exact numbers right now.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

I'm a little ticked I sent the pictures to QM, and they told me the clutch looks burnt beyond repair and suggested I buy another $1800 7.25"clutch. WTF is that? At worst I'd be looking at a new button and fibers or am I missing something here?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:18 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just take some scotch-brite or 400 grit paper and clean up the floaters and button. Find some specs on the discs and see where you are at. If they are done then buy new discs.
I know nothing about the Rally discs. I have the racing ones which are only .105 thick new. I have beat the heck out of them and after almost 2 years they are at .101, of course .096 is finished.

These clutches are tough, I wouldn't worry about it.
You can send the pressure plate in and have the fingers tested to make sure they weren't fatigued by heat.
Other than the discs being worn too much or the pressure plate not clamping there isn't much that will cause these clutches to slip.
The only other issue could be improper setup of the trilite bearing clearance but you implied that was good.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The flywheel saw a ton of heat, not exactly sure if the button flywheel is reusable or not.
Are the floaters warped?
What kind of driving did you do for those 6 miles - did it include the maze?

If you want a 7.25, you can get by with a $600 V drive and the button, which is around $200.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I doubt very much it is "beyond repair". I used my 5.5 for years and the fingers were getting out of align and looking worn, so I sent it back to them for a rebuild. They put in new fingers, and a pressure plate piece.

As for the rest....floater plates and discs should be easily ordered, normal wear items.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:49 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moespeeds
I'm a little ticked I sent the pictures to QM, and they told me the clutch looks burnt beyond repair and suggested I buy another $1800 7.25"clutch. WTF is that? At worst I'd be looking at a new button and fibers or am I missing something here?
You could always write them back and tell them that you'll buy someone else's $1800 clutch...
Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Ben it was the trip out of the warehouse Sunday that killed it. The day before I had a helper with me to check my blind spots as I was driving the car out of the shop, so it went allot faster and smoother. Sunday I was alone and sitting down low in that car it's tough to see! I was much more cautious and took my time, basically slipping the clutch the whole way. Stupid I know, but at that time I didn't understand how bad that was. I put a stock clutch back in for now, and I'll put this one back in when the weather changes, put the front wheels on dollys, and tow it in from then on. Not a big deal at all. Here is the exact response from QM, when I sent them the pictures you see and asked them if I should resurface the button and get new friction plates:

"Hi,
After a few of us here looked at this clutch it appears to be burnt beyond repair
Also that is only a 2 disc your car should have a 3 disc I would recommend a 38815190TL. This is more of the type of clutch you would need IT GOES FOR $2,288.00 but I would go $1,830.00 For you on this clutch."

I don't think $1800 is even much of a deal, I believe when I priced the 7.25" a few months back it came in around $1800 from Summit.

Anyway, not exactly thrilled with QMs customer service. I asked him what components were "burnt beyond repair" and why I couldn't just replace what was damaged, and never received a response. I also sent in an email form on their website asking the same question and got nothing back.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:41 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

well, QM never seems to be too interested in selling, people basically go to them, from what I gather, so don't take it personally.

Obviously, in the future, treat the clutch pedal as a digital device - either in or out, and avoid the gas when your foot is on the clutch.

You probably want to get a new button and clutch cover as well.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Also that is only a 2 disc your car should have a 3 disc I would recommend a 38815190TL. This is more of the type of clutch you would need
As an FYI my 2 disc (rally) 5.5" has been in my car for 3+ yrs, and that car was probably used much more often than a typical weekend car (ie a ton of TT and race weekends). Probably something around 50 race/TT days but I could have to go back and count exactly. My car is apart right now, but I'm not touching the clutch. It still looks great.

Ben is right, it's on/off and you have to drive it with that in mind. I will only give it any rpm if it absolutely needs it when getting rolling, otherwise I just idle it out and letter it chatter and catch up, and use as little slip (timewise) as I can get away with. The deep first gear M12 made this pretty easy, you have to abuse it a little more with the M6/ZR1 box.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:43 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

QMI clutches don`t like to be slipped and they don`t like to be pushed over center, whoever sold you that clutch should have impressed that upon you. If I was you I would find a QMI dealer with a QMI testing machine to test the cover and measure the floaters, you can get the button surfaced but you need to retain the .100 step, the .105 thick discs are junk down around .094
Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

He has rally discs which are much thicker than the regular "premium" metal frisbies.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
He has rally discs which are much thicker than the regular "premium" metal frisbies.

new .250
junk .225

Get notified of new replies

To QM 5.5" clutch, did I cook this thing and can it be resurfaced?

Quick Reply: QM 5.5" clutch, did I cook this thing and can it be resurfaced?