Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glueing Plastic Fender Well Parts

Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 PM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Glueing Plastic Fender Well Parts

MY 2000 C5 and I hit a tire wall at turn 8 Summit Point last October ( probably need more skid pad time.)
Due to a back operation, I was side lined for some time. At any rate I'm back in the groove and am dying to be tearing nose, LF fender, and LR quarter panel off because they are fractured. I have replacements and have to sand and paint these. Here's my question: the black plastic fender wells or wheel wells(LF and LR) have some fractures in them. The LF fender wheel well has fractures just below the triangular headlight bracket. I would rather NOT remove these but would like to use some epoxy and fiberglass matting and sandwich the wrinkled black plastic in order to make the repair. I'm thinking of making a form or template from plywood from the undamaged right side. Then coating it with wax or something similar, attach it to the LF w/ 1/4-20 screws, then glue and laminate the front side, remove the template or form then do the same on the back side. I'm not looking for pretty, I'm looking for sturdy. Anybody do this before? What epoxy is compatible on the black plastic fender well? JB weld? 5 Minute epoxy?
Bottom line is I would rather not replace the fender well for about a crunched 12" x 15" section.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a crack at the top of the fender in the inner liner as well as some busted up headlight area in my race car last year. I just used thin cardboard and taped it with slick packaging tape to make it slick, duct taped it in place/shape then used fiberglass mat and resin from Home Depot and it worked great. A little sanding and grinding after and like new!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:49 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

drill the ends of the cracks. That'll keep em from spreading. Get yourself a vac pump and some vac bagging supplies and sandwich the part with a few layers of fiberglass weave wetted in with a good epoxy. Then add your release film and absorber mat, shrink the vacuum down on it and call it good.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Just use an aluminium plate and splice the crack.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:22 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Rich, best wishes for your continued recovery!! And good luck with the repairs - hoping to see you back at the track soon.

Mike
Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree with Falcon. Put something behind it and rivet it together.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Agree with Falcon. Put something behind it and rivet it together.
Exactly what I did... quick shot of black spray paint and unless you were really looking for it you would never notice.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

Bolt on your LF fender, LF headlight/cover and front bumper and check your alignment before repairing the crack. Then rivet them in place and remove the fender, light and bumper. Finish like the others have said. This will both form and function.

Get notified of new replies

To Glueing Plastic Fender Well Parts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glueing Plastic Fender Well Parts