Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Customer Racing

Old 09-01-2013, 06:45 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Corvette Customer Racing

GM really did try to build race cars for customers. At the time people like Jim Campbell discovered what Porsche was doing . i.e. - making money selling race cars. This seemed like a good idea at the time.

They were called kit cars or box cars. The car actually came in a bunch of boxes. You ordered them from the parts counter at your local dealership. Here's the story on the rarest of all C5 Corvettes. Only 42 were created. Here's the story.

Richard Newton
Old 09-02-2013, 01:36 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
GM really did try to build race cars for customers. At the time people like Jim Campbell discovered what Porsche was doing . i.e. - making money selling race cars. This seemed like a good idea at the time.

They were called kit cars or box cars. The car actually came in a bunch of boxes. You ordered them from the parts counter at your local dealership. Here's the story on the rarest of all C5 Corvettes. Only 42 were created. Here's the story.

Richard Newton
Cool story, but I wouldn't call a "Box Car" a race car any more than I would call the totaled C6 frame that I bought to start mine. Building race cars would be along the lines of what Porsche has done and Viper too....I can write a check, and pick the car up and drive it immediately!

I saw one of those box cars sitting in the exact shape seen in that article and was thinking for a time on building the current race car out of it. Just thought it easier to start with a C6 chassis if I wanted a C6....
Old 09-02-2013, 07:20 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Randy,

the car you saw was chassis number 39 of the 42 built. It is still in its original form. I don't agree about the "box" status as there were no boxes delivered with it. It (like in the picture) was delivered as roller. The engine was installed (I am not certain when it went to the LS6, but I know chassis 39 and 40 were LS6s as they both were delivered to neighbors of yours (so to speak). 40 went to Pratt and Miller for a mega dollar build. It was sold to a Nor Cal racer some years ago although I don't think it ever competed above club level. 39 still sits waiting a build or buyer.

The car came with wheels/tires (from a non Z06 as they were the staggered C5 sizes) but no brakes, so a roller in the true sense of the word. I have forgotten but I don't believe it came with shocks either.

One of the most notable missing parts was the balsa wood floor, so although it had a torque tube and transmission there is no floor in the car.

Although they don't have a full VIN, there is the number sequence of the build number in the 42 cars that were built on the front of the chassis.

Both were delivered through Crown Chevrolet in Dublin in 2001.

Randy, I see you have moved from the Camaro to a Corvette. I imagine you like the new car better. If you have any links to any incar videos please pm me.

Unfortunately I have sold both my CMC race car and my 98 1LE track car that Alan put together for me.

Perry
Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool story
Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Randy,

the car you saw was chassis number 39 of the 42 built. It is still in its original form. I don't agree about the "box" status as there were no boxes delivered with it. It (like in the picture) was delivered as roller. The engine was installed (I am not certain when it went to the LS6, but I know chassis 39 and 40 were LS6s as they both were delivered to neighbors of yours (so to speak). 40 went to Pratt and Miller for a mega dollar build. It was sold to a Nor Cal racer some years ago although I don't think it ever competed above club level. 39 still sits waiting a build or buyer.

The car came with wheels/tires (from a non Z06 as they were the staggered C5 sizes) but no brakes, so a roller in the true sense of the word. I have forgotten but I don't believe it came with shocks either.

One of the most notable missing parts was the balsa wood floor, so although it had a torque tube and transmission there is no floor in the car.

Although they don't have a full VIN, there is the number sequence of the build number in the 42 cars that were built on the front of the chassis.

Both were delivered through Crown Chevrolet in Dublin in 2001.

Randy, I see you have moved from the Camaro to a Corvette. I imagine you like the new car better. If you have any links to any incar videos please pm me.

Unfortunately I have sold both my CMC race car and my 98 1LE track car that Alan put together for me.

Perry
Hey Perry....

Long time no hear from. I crashed my Camaro BADLY in 2011, nearly killed myself in that one, and one stage of my long recovery was to build the new car as a replacement. I talked to Alan, after looking at used race cars for a long time and finding nothing worthy, about building off of that "car", but I found the salvaged frame and I have the fab buddy who built the car that saved my life, so we went that route. Here is the build thread:

Randy's Build

I chose the car because I could use many parts off the Camaro, that was now a ball of tin foil and sold to a scrap yard for $137.

So far no real in car video. I am still recovering as a driver, and am slower in the Vette than I was in the Camaro. However, this past weekend, a few weeks ago, I was able to break a major barrier and get past a few fast cars that I was always able to finish in front of before...so it is coming back slowly. I am just having fun at this point!

Good to hear from you!

Randy
Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I've always wanted one of these cars to keep permanently and to vintage race when I'm old.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

I think these cars are worthy of speculation. They're not as cheap as the L88s used to be but people are smarter now. I remember when you could pick up a real L88 for around $2,000. I think the box cars may be the L88s of the C5 generation. Maybe.

Richard Newton
Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Most have been built in to World Challenge cars. As LG said he built two of them. Another Privateer outfit from Texas (I recall his name was Green but my memory is poor) also built 2 of the first 20. I delivered a loaned part off of No 39 to him at Laguna Seca to get one of his cars running in a WC race in 02 or 03 and stopped in and said Hi to Lou.

They certainly would be fun to run in vintage racing in 2020 or 2025 whenever they are eligible. The original owner of No 39 built a 90 ZR1 race car he was looking forward to racing about now (2015) in Vintage Racing but unfortunately passed away too young for that to happen. I have thought of buying No 39 from Lil Jeff as I do have a remote garage I use to store a car or two, but at my age, the likely result would be the same as Larry's. Lil Jeff is about 10 years younger than I am and I although he has posted it for sale, I suspect if it doesn't sell now, he expects to make some money on it in another 10-15 years, particularly as it is the last unmolested, unbuilt one remaining as far as I know.

Does anyone know where No 40 is now? That is the one Rodriguez sent to Pratt and Miller for a $100,000 build. I think he drove it at Sears Point a couple of times and decided that it was just too darned fast to handle and sold it. But I only met him once with Larry so that is as much speculation on my part as real memory. I do expect it may still be in Northern California.

Here is a link to LilJeffs forsale posting on this forum that has pictures of 39 and 40 and some of the documentation he got from Larry. http://jeffstevens.org/C5R-kit.htm

Last edited by pkincy; 09-04-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 AM
GS478
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default #40

Pretty sure #32 is in central Texas, my paperwork says #32 but i have not seen the stenciled vin. Car is used sparingly at HPDE's.
Got it from San Jose, Ca. about 5 years ago. Think this is the one referenced: sent to Pratt & Miller, they did roll cage, suspension mounting points, fuel cells, etc.
Car was like new condition, only some shake-down time and reported to be never raced.
Built to 2004 World Challenge specs. LS6-Ryan Flaconer built engine, penske coil-overs, Randy Pobst carbon seat, etc.
R.Rodriguez is believed to be the original owner.
Has LG hood and headers. Hey Anthony.
A "proper" race car, it's the **** to drive. The car is much better than this driver.

For a couple of pics go to: San Jacinto Corvette Club/ San Guacamole Racing Team-red c5
http://www.sanjacintocorvetteclub.or...cRaceTeam.html
Old 09-07-2013, 01:01 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Some great photos of the Jeff Stevens car.

I suggest that before anyone buys one of these that they check with Danny Kellermeyer for the provenance.

You're not buying just an old race car here. You're buying Corvette history. You want to be able to trace this history back to the day when the chassis left the Bowling Green plant. Without a complete documented history it's just another old Corvette race car with an interesting story.

People don't pay money for stories. They only pay for documentation.

Richard Newton
Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

People don't pay money for stories. They only pay for documentation.
and on occasion they pay good money for phony cars with so-so documentation, one of the most famous C-3 Corvettes of all time is a phony car...and yes I can back up my claim.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GS478
Pretty sure #32 is in central Texas, my paperwork says #32 but i have not seen the stenciled vin. Car is used sparingly at HPDE's.
Got it from San Jose, Ca. about 5 years ago. Think this is the one referenced: sent to Pratt & Miller, they did roll cage, suspension mounting points, fuel cells, etc.
Car was like new condition, only some shake-down time and reported to be never raced.
Built to 2004 World Challenge specs. LS6-Ryan Flaconer built engine, penske coil-overs, Randy Pobst carbon seat, etc.
R.Rodriguez is believed to be the original owner.
Has LG hood and headers. Hey Anthony.
A "proper" race car, it's the **** to drive. The car is much better than this driver.

For a couple of pics go to: San Jacinto Corvette Club/ San Guacamole Racing Team-red c5
http://www.sanjacintocorvetteclub.or...cRaceTeam.html
If it is the Rob Rodriguez car it is as described but it is Number 40. Bought with the Number 39 that is unbuilt and it is pictured on the RV rack with #39 as delivered to Crown Chevrolet in Dublin. That picture is on Lil Jeff's for sale page linked above.

Rodriguez sent it to Pratt & Miller and although I never saw the invoice he said he spent over $100k having it built there. Those build pictures are also on Lil Jeff's for sale picture. The right side is the P&M build and the left is the as is #39 sister car.

When Rob got it back he was moving his family from Castro Valley to a new home and domestic bliss came before having a great race car so it was put up for sale. I think it was sold in one of the consignment shops in San Jose. I also think the thing was stupid fast and he had a bit of a rethink on running that a lot at Sears Point, which was our local track.

Someone got a great deal. Mind (pm is fine) telling me/us what you paid. Anything short of $130k was a steal.

If I am reading Lil Jeff's pictures correctly the vin is on one of the frame rails up front. A call to Alan Blaine at Blaine Fabrication will confirm that.

30 years from now I don't know which will be worth more. 40 which was built and built well or 39 which is as sold and unbuilt.

Likely I won't still be here to find out, but it is an interesting question. I brokered the sale from Larry to Lil Jeff and have since thought about buying it as I do have a garage where I store a number of cars, but that same $19k invested in stocks likely is more of a sure thing than a car. But for a real collector I have often felt that you are getting an original piece of history buying the #39 car as is, and just putting it in your collection. It did sit in the showroom of Crown Chevrolet for a number of months.

PM me and I will give you my email address and I can put you in touch with Alan or Lil Jeff if you like.

Perry

Last edited by pkincy; 09-09-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:24 AM
indianavette
Burning Brakes

Richard Newton
Richard, m'lad --

Wunnerful story. Getting those first few quietly built on a Saturday at BG is another good yarn. Someone needs to be monitoring the whereabouts of these cars. I once had the list of the teams that got the first 20. Weren't they encouranged to buy two so they could use one as a donor? For a long time I was storing this frame for Tommy Morrison. It's now under a C5 racer in Florida. Still have the TT and tranny.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:48 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

I think the first 30 were fixed roof coupes chassis' and 31-42 were delivered with the Z06 motor. I can only be certain about 39 and 40 however.

Even those as delivered had the base coupe wheels/tires on them, i.e., non Z06 size rims/tires, as no one ever expected those wheels/tires to do anything but roll the chassis on/off a trailer.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Are people actually paying a premium for these? Usually factory specials have special parts/engineering that make them desirable. This is the opposite as they are unique in that they had nothing unique (other than a special number) and everything of interest came from the teams/builders.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Racer-38
Racer

My race car is one of these original C5R's, It is car #13. It was the first to be skinned in C6R carbon body panels. It was called the Mule car. Designed and built by Corvette racing division/Pratt&Miller/Riley&Scott. The cars sits as it was built except for the drive-train. Engine: Golen road race 7.0L-650HP custom built. Trans: Rockland Standard road race ratio 6-speed. Diff: Rockland Standard road race 3.90 gear. Original Penske shock package,AP calipers,Motec engine&dash manager with GPS and intergrated Chase-cam.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Given all the work the fabricators do to the car, many people have forgotten that they can easily be converted to C6R body panels.

Can you post pictures?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Customer Racing

Old 09-11-2013, 04:52 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Bob Mayer's Serial # 13

Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Some day we need to get Will Cooksey to tell us the story of that Saturday morning when these cars were made. That in itself is fascinating. I can say that these cars were not made for Chevrolet. They were made for SPO. That in itself is interesting.

Richard Newton
Old 09-12-2013, 06:09 PM
indianavette
Burning Brakes

Some day we need to get Will Cooksey to tell us the story of that Saturday morning when these cars were made. That in itself is fascinating. I can say that these cars were not made for Chevrolet. They were made for SPO. That in itself is interesting.

Richard Newton

Richard --

True that!

rjk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Customer Racing