Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Wet track and street set

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Mister_OT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Wet track and street set

I am looking to create a new set for being a wet track days and street tires.
Two questions:
1. Wanted to get a C6 base 05 rims (5 spokes) on my C5. Any issue with that as track rims for a C5?
2. Tire... Good for wet track tire but also useable as a street tire. Any suggestions? I do not use the car as a daily drive.

I have a second set with dry track tires.
Appreciate the advice!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You may want to think about C5Z06 wheels. They are wider than the standard C5 and C6 wheels and the tires are generally cheaper than the C6 due to smaller diameter. Only drawback is that you can't put on a BBK on the front unless you put the C5Z rears in the front (you can put C5Z rear wheels on all four corners, but many recommend against this if you use traction control). Michelin Pilot Super Sports are solid. In a real rain with standing water on the road the more aggressive tires like NT-05s get a bit scary.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I, like many many others, have Z06 rears on all 4 corners and the traction control does not care. The difference in OD is less than 1/4". I can attest to the hairyness of NT05s in standing water. On a wet road, they dig pretty good but in standing water, point, shoot, and pray.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Mister_OT
Intermediate

OK, thanks. Got it. NT05, not the best rain track rain tires.
How about Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110?
Anyone experienced them on the track on rainy days?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 AM
sebdavid
Pro

I use Continental ExtremeContact DWs on the 17" OEM C5Z wheels at all 4 corners for that exact purpose (driving to the track and wet/rain tires) and am very happy with them. They aren't too expensive, last a long time and are good in the rain. Dry areas of the track won't instantly destroy them either if you don't push too hard.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

For a wet tire/street tire try the Conti extremes or Dunlap Direzza II. If you order from Tirerack, call Luke Pavlick at ext 362. He is an avid autocrosser/HPDE and knows his tires.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sebdavid
I use Continental ExtremeContact DWs on the 17" OEM C5Z wheels at all 4 corners for that exact purpose (driving to the track and wet/rain tires) and am very happy with them. They aren't too expensive, last a long time and are good in the rain. Dry areas of the track won't instantly destroy them either if you don't push too hard.
I ran the Conti ExtremeContact DW (18"/19") on four track days this year. Great non R-compound track tire (noisey in corners ). I live in the Pacific Northwet. I use these tires daily in the rain on the street. No complaints at all.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:54 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Michelin sport cups are excellent wet weather tires and good autocross tire, plus damn good street tires , run flats are toooo hard!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Wet track and street set

Quick Reply: C5 Wet track and street set