Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dark Blue Shield from HJC

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM
jnel04
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New Dark Blue Shield from HJC

Not sure if this is a good section for this, but figured some of you might appreciate it.

I ordered an HJC AR-10 II helmet for the upcoming Texas Mile since they mandate an SA 2005 or SA 2010 helmet. My eyes are very light sensitive and I don't want to wear sunglasses under my helmet. There are a bunch of helmet shield options from HJC, but there seem to be very few technical details available. I liked the idea of the reflective/silvery shields since I thought that would decrease the incoming light more than a standard dark smoke shield.

The photo of the RST Blue shield on Amazon made it look very silvery and reflective, but there were no details about the opacity. I purchased anyway, thinking I'd just get the dark smoke shield if this one didn't work out.

When I first took it out of the package I thought they sent me the wrong shield. It looks amber/light smoke. I had to double check the packaging to make sure it was actually the RST Blue.

It looks more silver/blue when installed on the helmet.

But it is essentially see through, with very little light protection.

So I called up HJC to ask about their other shield options and was told they have an unreleased shield called "Dark Blue" that is based on their dark smoke lens. The rep said it'd be available online in a few weeks. The rep agreed to let me purchase over the phone, stating I would be one of the first people outside HJC to have this shield.

It arrived and it is quite dark, very blue, and very reflective. Exactly what I was looking for. I wore it when driving around today (getting more than a handful of crazy looks from other drivers) and it did a great job with the bright sunlight. I had no eye strain at all, but felt it would be comfortable to wear even on a more overcast day, but probably not on a darker rainy day.

Clear vs. RST Blue vs. Dark Blue

RST Blue vs. Dark Blue

Dark Blue

Old 09-14-2013, 07:16 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha scrolling down and hitting that last pic made me laugh

Yes! This was the right place to post your new lense. I'm happy you did because I was curious about the different lenses myself.
I have a similar HJC helmet and I really like it. I couldn't ride around town with it though, it would be too much of a tease!
After getting that helmet and some track time, I CRAVE putting that thing back on in the Z. There's not the longest of seasons for that around here.

Thanks for the report!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:56 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I just bought an HJC Si-12 and the silver lens. Did they mention any other darker colors coming out? he reflective silver lens I got isn't very dark either.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I love the dark shield on my HJC and might pick up the blue to spice up the look.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:11 PM
jnel04
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Haha scrolling down and hitting that last pic made me laugh
Haha, I was channeling my inner teenager with that selfie!

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I just bought an HJC Si-12 and the silver lens. Did they mention any other darker colors coming out? he reflective silver lens I got isn't very dark either.
I think he mentioned a line of them coming out but don't quote me. I would be very surprised if they weren't coming out with a silver counterpart to this one. You could call HJC to find out for sure, they were very helpful w/ no wait time to talk to a rep.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:35 PM
pkmoose
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Awesome Post! Thanks for sharing, I may have to look into getting the darker shield (I have the clear and "smoked" at this time) when they become available.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:35 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I called them up and they were surprised that this was on forums already :P

Anyways, there's going to be the darker blue reflective shield, and a silvery type one they're calling "black chrome".

Anyone in South Florida, Wine Country Motorsports in Jupiter is going to have some of them Thursday-Friday of this week.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

These are now available on HJC's website: http://hjc-motorsports.com/HJCmotors...lue-shield.php

It looks like the full swatch of colors is:
R.S.T. Blue
R.S.T. Silver
Amber
Dark Smoke
Dark Blue (new reflective AND dark)
Black Chrome (new reflective AND dark)
Pink
Clear

Get notified of new replies

To New Dark Blue Shield from HJC

Quick Reply: New Dark Blue Shield from HJC