Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toe setting for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Default Toe setting for autocross?

I always run the same alignment for track and autocross due to the drudgery of the alignment task. I've always run just a touch of toe-in , but occasionally I hear reports of a touch of toe-out helping on courses with slow tight turns. (To be honest, the pure SOTP feel on the track is neutral handling on the high speed corners, but a touch of understeer on the slow corners.) What's the opinion here for autocross toe settings? I'm going to have the front end apart over the winter, so changing the alignment for a test autocross session now won't be any additional work for later when I put the suspension back together. The suspension is a '96 C4 that's under my '69.

Thanks for any constructive input.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Common wisdom dictates a little toe in in the rear and a little toe out in the front. Car will turn in nicely but you'll lose some high speed stability. Personally I run zero toe up front and a touch of toe in in the rear but I don't do auto-x, just track.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:58 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

In my 94 Z07 coupe I ran zero toe on the front but went 180 deg on the tie rods at the autox site (3 of 6 flat) giving me about 1/8th to 3/16th total toe out. Way to much for the street but helpful on the slow tight average autox course.

For the track a bit of toe in in the rear is most helpful. However very slight toe out isn't out of the question in the rear again for autox only.

And I probably wouldn't bother with either unless you are running very seriously for points/trophies.

1/16 toe out up front and a 1/16th toe in in the rear is a really good compromise.

Same for camber. For autox if you can get a degree or more of negative up front (more if you have coil overs) and about half of the front negative in the rear is a real help on an autox or track. But will wear out the tires quickly on the street.

I am amazed at the stock alignment settings on the C6Z06. -1.0 deg in front and -1.25 deg in back stock! (+/- 0.60 so you can be in stock spec at -1.6 deg up front and -1.85 in the rear). That is tire eating camber.

On my race car we stopped at about 1.75 to 2 deg negative camber up front because you started to cause problems with braking given the front tires weren't flat to the road.

Last edited by pkincy; 09-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I run zero in front

3/8 total in in the back

autox & track
Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Camber isn't what eats tires, it's toe out that eats tires.

I've run what some folks consider crazy negative camber (-2 in the front and -1.3 in the back) on the street in my Z06 10 years, and yes, the inside edge does wear a bit more than the outside, but the wear isn't horrible. If you really want to even it out, flip your tires after 10,000 miles and you will be fine.

Toe out with big negative camber will eat tires, but if you run a bit of toe in it won't be bad at all.

I change toe at the track from 1/8 of an inch of total toe in, to one full turn on each tie rod toward toe out, and go to about 1/8 of an inch of total toe out, and then change it back when I pull off the race tires.

Just my experience

Get notified of new replies

To Toe setting for autocross?

Quick Reply: Toe setting for autocross?