Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracks in US that sell photo credentials for bigger events

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:01 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Tracks in US that sell photo credentials for bigger events

The wife and I have been traveling for photography. We go to various events where we can purchase photo credentials that allow us to get up and close.

This is very common in the air show arena but so far all I've found is Road America offering photo passes for ALMS which we plan on doing next year.

Anyone else know of tracks that do this? We plan on doing Sebring next spring but they did not sell a special pass.

Any other tracks you know of?
Old 09-15-2013, 06:28 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Typically you'll have to acquire media credentials through the sanction body of that series, but generally you'll still end up dealing with the track. Some are stricter than others (are you legit, what outlet are you shooting media for, purpose, restrictions on how/where you can post, etc).

Best bet is to contact the media director for each series (or someone in their office) and explain your inquiry and go from there. They vary on level of difficulty to deal with. PM me if you want any contact info for various series.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Rolex 24 hours of Daytona I was told you can get every where to take pics with just the garage pass. I will find out in Jan when I head down how true this is.

Here is WGI without a photo pass. I would have liked to be in a few different areas but they did allow me to be very close.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:15 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe Sebring will allow with proper credentials. Contact Dvandentop, he knows how to get them.
You have to wear long pants and long sleeves, and from what I am hearing, maybe fire suits in the near future.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:59 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Road America has been doing it for awhile.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:25 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
Rolex 24 hours of Daytona I was told you can get every where to take pics with just the garage pass. I will find out in Jan when I head down how true this is.
Not true. While you can take pics anywhere, you can't GO anywhere. Access to the photo areas ON the track, basically between the spectator fencing and the track barriers, you can only get in with a photo vest, which you have to have credentials. For the 24, they pass the vests out very stingy, our team of two for this past 24 was only allowed 1 vest. Plan on leaving a CC with them as collateral for your photo vest. ISC tracks (NASCAR) are generally the hardest to deal with. You will NOT get in a photo area without a vest, and even with a vest, if you are in the wrong area, you'll find out in a hurry.

I have current 2013 grand am media credentials. It requires a lot of paperwork/fee's, and fairly large insurance policy and pretty tight restrictions on what you can do with your video/photos.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

for sebring you need hot pit access which is allowed behind the wall but right behind the pit boxes so real up close and personal with the teams and would also need a firesuit during the actual race which sucked since i didnt have a firesuit during that trip when i went down.

i got my hot pit access from a racer who was running the historic races they run during the alms downtime which worked out great. pretty much full access except to vip tents like audi and other manufactuer private tents.

also on the last turn section before the main straight at pretty much night darkness i did get yelled at by some guy for not having a reflective vest on and official press credentials

Last edited by dvandentop; 09-15-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Not true. While you can take pics anywhere, you can't GO anywhere. Access to the photo areas ON the track, basically between the spectator fencing and the track barriers, you can only get in with a photo vest, which you have to have credentials. For the 24, they pass the vests out very stingy, our team of two for this past 24 was only allowed 1 vest. Plan on leaving a CC with them as collateral for your photo vest. ISC tracks (NASCAR) are generally the hardest to deal with. You will NOT get in a photo area without a vest, and even with a vest, if you are in the wrong area, you'll find out in a hurry.

I have current 2013 grand am media credentials. It requires a lot of paperwork/fee's, and fairly large insurance policy and pretty tight restrictions on what you can do with your video/photos.
Well that stinks. I guess I miss understood what someone told me.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
Well that stinks. I guess I miss understood what someone told me.
you can get into the garage area most likely, just not in the real "photog" areas between the spectator fencing and the track barriers
Old 09-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by drivinhard
you can get into the garage area most likely, just not in the real "photog" areas between the spectator fencing and the track barriers
Someone I know was taking pictures of the track through openings in the fence and I assumed it was a photography area. Maybe there are some openings which garage pass has access to?

Guess I could ask him. Lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Tracks in US that sell photo credentials for bigger events

Quick Reply: Tracks in US that sell photo credentials for bigger events