Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety question with tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:57 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Safety question with tires

Im interested in the bridgestone re11 but they are no longer available in 245/40r18

bridgestone does however make it in the re11a but Im not sure about mixing the two revisions of this tire if there could be some huge difference in rubber compounds and sidewall stiffness

which would be safer - using a 245 re11a up front and a 285 re11 in the rear

or a 275 re11 up front and 285 re11 in the rear (the 275 is recommened for a 9" rim and the stock front are 8.5" - I know some folks will go this route on the street, but Im not sure if the risk of the tire unseating during hard driving)

If I dont go with the re11 my only other option is the kumho ecsta xs, which supposedly doesnt have the best rain or cold traction and Im likely going to have to daily drive my car this winter (since my other car his pretty much shot the ****)

thanks for the input!

Old 09-20-2013, 03:34 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Can't talk to the Re's but I've had the Kumho Ecxsta XS tires and no way would I run them in the winter. Tread depth is only 8/32s. The groves are not designed to channel water like an all season tire and Kumho recommends not using them in temps near freezing or in snow. Definitely not a winter tire.
They were quite good on the track for me. Loud, grippy and lasted for ~ 15 events. Probably could have squeezed a few more too. The center rib on the Nitto NT-05s I have now look like toast after less than half that. In fact, I will post some pix next week to get the opinion of other NT-05 users.

Quick Reply: Safety question with tires