Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downgrading from C6 Z51 brakes to Base??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:17 PM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Downgrading from C6 Z51 brakes to Base??

So i am thinking about downgrading to base brackets and rotors because the rotors are half the price. I assume ill burn through a set per year with HPDEs so might as well save $150 each time. Anyone have any experience with racing on base rotors? I am pretty sure base C6 is same size as C5Z? Not sure on that though. I don't care about looks and I am only getting blanks...

Thanks for any and all input.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You could burn through a set of pads in a weekend if you have a weekend long event, depends on how you drive. You're trading heat dissipation for saving a few bucks. I personally wouldn't do it, in fact I just upgraded to z06/GS brakes w/ slotted rotors for next season.

I was very happy with my z51 brakes, but I want lasting ability. If the base rotors will give you even less performance it may not even be worth the trouble.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:40 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaWING66
So i am thinking about downgrading to base brackets and rotors because the rotors are half the price. I assume ill burn through a set per year with HPDEs so might as well save $150 each time. Anyone have any experience with racing on base rotors? I am pretty sure base C6 is same size as C5Z? Not sure on that though. I don't care about looks and I am only getting blanks...

I don't think the price difference is quite that large but here are some details to consider.

The Z51 calipers will fit the base model brackets but you will move bias forward as the base/C5 use a rear caliper with a larger piston than the Z51 rear caliper. (due to rotor diameter ratio). So you might want to get base rear calipers.

The C5 front rotor is a curved vane design - the C6 base front rotor is the same basic dimension (325x30mm) but it went to a pillar vane design with a higher vane density, a deeper heat dam and more mass.

The C5 and C6 base rear rotors are the same.

It might open up some interesting wheel options!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

You need to search online for rotors, I am buying base C6 Brembo blanks for $41 each shipped on Autopartswarehouse.com.

Google and look around. You would have the "heavy duty" brakes.

I would never downgrade brakes.

Try a different pad, Carbotech is a good start IMO.

Rotors and pads are consumables, just like tires and oil.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 09-24-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You need to search online for rotors, I am buying base C6 Brembo blanks for $41 each shipped on Autopartswarehouse.com.

Google and look around. You would have the "heavy duty" brakes.

I would never downgrade brakes.
I'm running these as well. They are the BASE rotors (12.9") and not the Z51 (13.4") so the OP would need to "downgrade" the brackets to use them.

As far as the front to rear bias, you can a) Let the computer adjust the bias just like it does normally and/or b) Adjust pad compounds front to rear until you get braking performance that you like.

I've been tracking my C5Z for a few years and I think that the Brembo blanks are the sweet spot for cost vs performance (aka crack-resistance). Last year when I was running a forum vendor's "cheap" blank rotors I cracked at least one front every track weekend. This year, I ran the C6/XLR Brembos and went the whole season on one pair. The best part is that they're only about $15 a pair more than the "cheap" ones.

I say if you can find some inexpensive brackets to go ahead and try it and see what happens. Worst case, if you don't like it you can re-sell the brackets and rotors to any C5/base C6 owner for almost what you paid for it.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I'm running these as well. They are the BASE rotors (12.9") and not the Z51 (13.4") so the OP would need to "downgrade" the brackets to use them.

As far as the front to rear bias, you can a) Let the computer adjust the bias just like it does normally and/or b) Adjust pad compounds front to rear until you get braking performance that you like.

I've been tracking my C5Z for a few years and I think that the Brembo blanks are the sweet spot for cost vs performance (aka crack-resistance). Last year when I was running a forum vendor's "cheap" blank rotors I cracked at least one front every track weekend. This year, I ran the C6/XLR Brembos and went the whole season on one pair. The best part is that they're only about $15 a pair more than the "cheap" ones.

I say if you can find some inexpensive brackets to go ahead and try it and see what happens. Worst case, if you don't like it you can re-sell the brackets and rotors to any C5/base C6 owner for almost what you paid for it.

I stated the price for reference, if I can find Brembo's for a base C6 for $40 shipped each he should be able to find them for Z51 brakes for a little more money and have them last a good bit longer than what he has been using.

I use the rotors until the crack, resurface them and finish them off as street rotors.

EDIT

How does the computer control brake bias?? You are not supposed to activate ABS on track, otherwise the computer has no control over front to rear brake bias.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 09-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Rockauto.com has rotors from Bendix, Raybestos and Powerstop( all high carbon) from $45-$75 each. For the J56(Z51) optioned brakes.

When you look them up, scroll down to the "High Performance/Heavy Duty" section.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:13 AM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Thanks Fast. RockAuto is been what i have been looking at. They do have a lot of cheap options but most are drilled.

I think there may be some confusion. I am not going down to C5... the c5z question was just out of curiosity. I am only thinking about going to reg C6 size...

But yeah, I really want to steer clear of drilled anything because they just crack, so Brembo Blanks for $40 each would be great. I am having trouble getting a set of z51 blanks period. Most are drilled. And then its still about $275 shipped. Hence, regular C6 setup which is still larger than C5 and pair those with carbotech C12s or whatever.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:22 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

We keep a few sets of these on hand for Z51 - undrilled.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-serie...-+Single+Rotor

But they are slow on the re-stock - we have to order special from Centric.

Sometimes when they don't have them they sub in the drilled ones and we're like

Last edited by KNSBrakes; 09-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

I think there may be some confusion. I am not going down to C5... the c5z question was just out of curiosity. I am only thinking about going to reg C6 size...

Base C6 caliper mounting brackets and rotors are exactly the same as C5 and C5Z. The caliper itself is slightly better/stiffer than the C6 caliper. Any rotors made for C5/Base C6/Cadillac XLR will fit the base C6 bracket.

This is the Brembo rotor that we are using with good success on our C5s:
Brembo North America Brake Disc NLA - 3/10 : Amazon.com : Automotive Brembo North America Brake Disc NLA - 3/10 : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 AM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Ohhhhhh... thanks Scooter. And the link doesnt work...

Thanks for the input KNS. I checked around and the same rotors for BaseC6 are $100 less shipped... so if they perform as well, then why not downgrade?

MBB, are you talking about performance or longevity? I doubt there is much of any difference between C6 and C6Z51. And i know the Base C6 brakes are plenty strong enough for my skill level.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:40 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Thanks Fast. RockAuto is been what i have been looking at. They do have a lot of cheap options but most are drilled.

But yeah, I really want to steer clear of drilled anything because they just crack, so Brembo Blanks for $40 each would be great. I am having trouble getting a set of z51 blanks period. Most are drilled. And then its still about $275 shipped. Hence, regular C6 setup which is still larger than C5 and pair those with carbotech C12s or whatever.
C5, C5 Z06 and base C6 brakes are dimensionally the exact same brakes. Internally the C6 rotor is better and the C6 caliper is more sturdy.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Ohhhhhh... thanks Scooter. And the link doesnt work...

Thanks for the input KNS. I checked around and the same rotors for BaseC6 are $100 less shipped... so if they perform as well, then why not downgrade?

MBB, are you talking about performance or longevity? I doubt there is much of any difference between C6 and C6Z51. And i know the Base C6 brakes are plenty strong enough for my skill level.
C6 Z51 rotor is .5 bigger than the C6 base and C5 rotor(12.9 vs 13.4). As far as the caliper goes I think they are the same.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Base C6 caliper mounting brackets and rotors are exactly the same as C5 and C5Z. The caliper itself is slightly better/stiffer than the C6 caliper. Any rotors made for C5/Base C6/Cadillac XLR will fit the base C6 bracket.

This is the Brembo rotor that we are using with good success on our C5s: Brembo North America Brake Disc NLA - 3/10 : Amazon.com : Automotive
Link is dead, the " NLA 3/10" means no longer available as of March 2010.

I use these, cheapest I can find.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...Passenger+Side

Be wary of these on Amazon, there are some listed as Brembo but are not, read the reviews as I got taken and posted a review.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

C6 base and C6 Z51 calipers are the same. The bracket is just a quarter inch longer to account for the larger diameter rotor.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

EDIT

How does the computer control brake bias?? You are not supposed to activate ABS on track, otherwise the computer has no control over front to rear brake bias.
Starting with the 2001 models GM went to dynamic rear proportioning instead of using a proportioning valve to limit pressure to the rear brakes. Now they use the ABS system and its ability to detect individual wheel speeds and modulate brake pressure to individual wheels to replace the proportioning valve. From the Service Manual:
Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP)
The dynamic rear proportioning (DRP) is a control system that replaces the hydraulic proportioning function of the mechanical proportioning valve in the base brake system. The DRP control system is part of the operation software in the EBCM. The DRP uses active control with existing ABS in order to regulate the vehicle's rear brake pressure.

The red brake warning indicator is illuminated when the dynamic rear proportioning function is disabled.

Bill
Old 09-24-2013, 10:48 AM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Right, i know there is a size difference. But what are the reasons NOT to switch? Brake performance is negligible.

Get notified of new replies

To Downgrading from C6 Z51 brakes to Base??

Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 AM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Rockauto.com has rotors from Bendix, Raybestos and Powerstop( all high carbon) from $45-$75 each. For the J56(Z51) optioned brakes.

When you look them up, scroll down to the "High Performance/Heavy Duty" section.
I think the J56 option is Z06?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...55-brakes.html
Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

How many track days are you doing per year? What skill level are you? When I first got my 97 there were no aftermarket or race pads available and I had to use stock pads and rotors. I could easily get 15 track days out of a set of stock C5 rotors. Pads would make it through a two day track event and allow me to use them on the street afterwards. At the time I had 5 years of track events under my belt so was running in the advanced groups Vs novice.

Given the same conditions the Z51 rotors should be able to stand the same amount of abuse and they give you some advantages the base rotors will not provide. They have more mass so they can absorb more heat thus reducing the chance of overheating your brake fluid, they do provide a slight increase in brake torque due to the larger diameter and placement of the caliper a little further out from the center of the hub. If you are replacing them on a once per year basis I think the advantages outweigh the $150 decrease in consumable costs.

By the way I recommend using the stock rotors that you can get from GM Parts House or Parts Taxi Vs aftermarket rotors. I know with my C6Z the stock rotors pretty much out perform anything else on the market (including the high dollar two piece rotors). They go 5 days before cracking at a price of $92 each shipped to my house and the high dollar rotor rings go for 7 days before cracking at a price of $260 each shipped to my house.

Checking the current prices it looks like front base rotors are $73 each and front Z51 rotors are $100 each, rear base rotors are $62 each while rear Z51 rotors are $77 each. That is $270 for 4 base rotors or $354 for 4 Z51 rotors. So you are looking at $84 more for the Z51 rotors plus whatever the difference in shipping costs will be.

Bill
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 AM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

C6 shipped: $145 Brembo, $115 Centic Premium
C6Z51 Shipped: $245 Raybestos/Centric

for all 4...

Last edited by ShaWING66; 09-24-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Downgrading from C6 Z51 brakes to Base??