Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Brake fluid question

I have a question about about brake fluid. A few months ago I put on a new set of Stoptech ST60 /40 and flushed the system with Motul 600. Since then I really have not driven the car very much other than bedding the rotors and pads and drove a around town for maybe a hundred miles. Today I was getting the car ready to take to the track this weekend and noticed that my brake fluid was almost black. What would make the fluid get so dark so quickly?

Thanks!
Charley
Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen fluid go black quickly when in contact with the covers that have black rubber on the inside also see it on clutch systems that cycle fluid through ... none of which happen or are present on a C5 system .... only thought is that you had some really nasty black fluid in the lines and when you collapsed the pistons you pushed it back into the reservoir..... but a flush should have eliminated that
Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

when you flushed the system did you activate the ABS system with a tool to insure a complete flush? Look at this link starting with post #4

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f5/wa...-600-a-124135/
Old 09-27-2013, 04:36 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
when you flushed the system did you activate the ABS system with a tool to insure a complete flush? Look at this link starting with post #4

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f5/wa...-600-a-124135/

Most likely this. If you didn't activate the ABS when flushing, you just pushed new fluid from the reservoir straight to the caliper. Sometime following the flush, you most likely activated the ABS circuit and it pumped the old dark fluid from the ABS block and lines into the system.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

I noticed this on mine months after I did some work. I also noticed some wetness around the cap. Mine was not black but considerably darker that new. Cap was not sealing so went to autozone and bought a new seal for the cap. Fixed the wetness issue. I will bleed brakes in a fee months and see after that. I also agree with what others have posted.
GL
Chris
Old 09-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks guys. I am sure it was caused from actuating tie antilock. I guess it shows how important it is to cycle the antilock when bleeding the brakes.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Brake fluid is also a great solvent.

In an old system it will clean gunk out of every pore in the system.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake fluid question

Quick Reply: Brake fluid question