Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk to me about drag radials

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Default Talk to me about drag radials

Hey guys with my new setup i'm currently making 580rwhp/557rwtq, my Bridgeston RE-11's aren't cutting it all. This is what i'm experiencing...

1st gear= worthless
2nd gear=worthless
3rd gear= slip, and grab@ 50mph

My car is not a daily driver and is only driven in good weather conditions. Car won't see a drag strip or track day.
I'd like a tire that could provide very well dry traction to fix at least some of my symptoms above. If possible, also be able to be used for spirited driving around turns and twisty's. I'd like any first hand experience reviews on anything you may recommend. Tire life, cost, goods,bads, etc.

I'll be running a "19x11.5" inch rear tire and have considered the following:

Hoosier R6
Toyo Proxes R888
Nitto NT05R
MT ET Streets II
Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I can tell you that traction loss is a good thing to prevent parts breakage. One you stick the tires with that much power, you will surely start finding the weak links in the drivetrain. You don't want to really drive the streets on DOT slicks, whether drag or roadrace types in case of a rain shower you will be screwed. suggest you find a treaded tire with the best compromise you can find in your size. Then you just learn to modulate the throttle or the quickest launch! BTW RR tires heat up at speed on the track, drag will with a burnout first.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

IN addition, road race tires really don't have the all that good of forward bite, compared with drag radials. They really only have to put down power coming off of corners, and the that means high in second gear an on up, as opposed to digging in down in first gear.

Also if you drive road racing tires on the street they will harden up and in no time you will be skating around with very little grip at all.

There are some tires that are a lot sticker than the garden variety tires, and those are rated around 140 utog. Look at the Tire Rack site and they have some pages related to extreme performance summer tires that might be helpful.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I've run DR for years on the rear, both Nittos & Hoosiers. I liked both
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 PM
txoutlaw55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRs

I went to the Nitto NT05R for street/strip use. I'm running stock wheels on my 01Z. I ran Hoosier A6 295/30-18 at the strip a few times and got nasty wheel hop. Wheel hop = broken parts. The taller the side wall, the better. I haven't had any problems with water puddles or damp pavement with the Nittos. Overall, I like them and will buy them again unless something better comes on the market.

Get notified of new replies

To Talk to me about drag radials

Quick Reply: Talk to me about drag radials