Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another to the dark side... bought an ASA car

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Another to the dark side... bought an ASA car

When I started this venture, there was only 1 thing I was sure of... that I didn't want an ASA/GTA car. Well, what can I say. When you're wrong, you're wrong.

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I looked at ASA cars and quite simply put, they just don't do it for me.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...d-cup-car.html

After a LOT of help from some people on here (and some not here) who took way more time than they should have to answer 1 ridiculous question after another, I headed down to sunny Florida to visit Mike Cope Racing and check out what he had to offer. After a couple of hours and a handshake, I decided that this would be my next ride:

It is a 2003 Howe chassis car previously run by Tony Amico. It is the car that he used to win the 2008 SCCA GTA SARRC Championship. For an engine it will have a serialized ASA LS1 with a few upgrades. The fuel injection is also staying on it. AP brakes, Jericho 4 speed, 9" rear, ... pretty much everything in it built for bulletproof reliability. Right now, it sits in a few pieces waiting to be put together and have a few of it's minor issues addressed by Mike before I head back down to pick it up.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 09-30-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats Brian. Looks to be a nice ride. So...what was the bill $.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Congrats!!! Sometimes crow tastes good...LOL!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice choice!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Congrats!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:19 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice! Our numbers are growing!!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Congrats on the new car.

I too was hesitant about going Stock Car from my Corvette but have not regretted it for a second.

3 of us in Cincy and 1 in St. Louis have made the change over the past 2 years. We have learned a lot about the cars and track them often.

Give me a shout if you have any questions about it
Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by WNeal
3 of us in Cincy and 1 in St. Louis have made the change over the past 2 years. We have learned a lot about the cars and track them often.

Give me a shout if you have any questions about it
I certainly will.

Where are you guys finding to run them? Do you get to VIR these days? There is another of us from Cincy in the market right now... if he comes through, there would be a pretty hefty group of us in the area.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I certainly will.

Where are you guys finding to run them? Do you get to VIR these days? There is another of us from Cincy in the market right now... if he comes through, there would be a pretty hefty group of us in the area.
Check out 10/10ths Motorsports

I have 2 events in Oct. 1 at Gingerman and 1 at Putnam Park

www.1010thsmotorsports.com

Old 10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by WNeal
Check out 10/10ths Motorsports

I have 2 events in Oct. 1 at Gingerman and 1 at Putnam Park

www.1010thsmotorsports.com

I've been out with you guys a few times in years past... albeit in a different car. You guys put on a hell of an event.

I was in this:
Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 AM
mphox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, I bought Tonys other car from Mike Cope. It is a SBC motored Intrepid body car. I hope to get it out to the track for the first time in the next month.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 PM
millstreet
Heel & Toe

welcome to the dark side

cheap consumables, safe, & fast
Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about a few picks under the skin? 3 link with a track bar in the back? lets see the details
Old 11-13-2013, 09:49 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Well... it took a 2300+ mile road trip with a 26' trailer the whole way, but it was worth it. Left on Thursday from Louisville to head down south. Spent the weekend in sunny Florida (beats the freezing temps here in KY for sure). Sunday morning, hooked up the trailer and took off straight to VIR for the Trackdaze HPDE to test it out.

I had some minor hiccups but nothing too unusual for a "new" car. First session I had a WICKED vibration on the out lap. Turned out to be nothing more than an old wheel weight that was missed when mounting the new tires. Pulled it off and made it out just in time to get 1 lap. The following session ended with a tow back from the pits to our spot WAY up the hill (thankfully the paddock will be ready next time I'm there). I shut it off in the pits when they pulled us all in after a wreck and had no starter when I tried to fire it back up. Turned out to be nothing more than a loose wire.

After back to back sessions flagged for people stuffing cars into walls I FINALLY got a few laps under my belt in the afternoon. All I can say is WOW. This thing is the definition of fun. It is also a complete 180 departure from the Corvettes. The learning curve is STEEP with the clutch in the pits and the Jerico. I'm sure plenty of people were laughing at the clown who couldn't drive through the pits but by the end of the day I had it pretty much figured out. Functional... but not quite smooth yet.

The clutchless shifting is an absolute blast. As good as it feels to rip through a good heel-toe braking zone, this is a whole new level of awesome. The brakes are simply amazing. The pedal pressures are WAY more than the Vettes, but they are unbelievably precise and predictable. I never even began to push hard and was still braking deeper than I ever could with my C5Z with the AP T1s. As I get better with the bias adjust, getting them dialed in should make it even better.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to hook up any data or video so I have no hard numbers but it feels like a rocket. The track was packed... I don't think I had a single lap without having to deal with at least 3-4 cars. I was also just getting used to it. I wasn't even remotely coming close to pushing hard. I was coasting into braking zones, short shifting, and being very gentle on the throttle. Even with all of that, my father was clocking laps in the 2:10 range. Through massive traffic and driving about 50%, I'm more than happy with that. There are a LOT of seconds to be gained. Unfortunately, it will all be paved and widened next time I'm there so I won't get a good comparison in lap times with my previous cars.

OK... enough rambling. Thanks again to all of those who helped along the way!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:57 AM
racer313g
Instructor

Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by racer313g
Here.

Happy now?

And yea, that is a "1" after the 77. I spent a lot of time on that.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

The learning curve is STEEP with the clutch in the pits and the Jerico. I'm sure plenty of people were laughing at the clown who couldn't drive through the pits but by the end of the day I had it pretty much figured out. Functional... but not quite smooth yet.

The clutchless shifting is an absolute blast. As good as it feels to rip through a good heel-toe braking zone, this is a whole new level of awesome.
CONGRATS!! Nice looking car! You are spot on regarding the clutch and the pits...LOL...I'm sure I've had some folks laughing at me (I'm used to it by now anyway LOL)...but once you get out on track it's "hey, slow down, I can't catch you...."

Welcome to a new world of fun!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:54 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Well... it took a 2300+ mile road trip with a 26' trailer the whole way, but it was worth it. Left on Thursday from Louisville to head down south. Spent the weekend in sunny Florida (beats the freezing temps here in KY for sure). Sunday morning, hooked up the trailer and took off straight to VIR for the Trackdaze HPDE to test it out.

I had some minor hiccups but nothing too unusual for a "new" car. First session I had a WICKED vibration on the out lap. Turned out to be nothing more than an old wheel weight that was missed when mounting the new tires. Pulled it off and made it out just in time to get 1 lap. The following session ended with a tow back from the pits to our spot WAY up the hill (thankfully the paddock will be ready next time I'm there). I shut it off in the pits when they pulled us all in after a wreck and had no starter when I tried to fire it back up. Turned out to be nothing more than a loose wire.

After back to back sessions flagged for people stuffing cars into walls I FINALLY got a few laps under my belt in the afternoon. All I can say is WOW. This thing is the definition of fun. It is also a complete 180 departure from the Corvettes. The learning curve is STEEP with the clutch in the pits and the Jerico. I'm sure plenty of people were laughing at the clown who couldn't drive through the pits but by the end of the day I had it pretty much figured out. Functional... but not quite smooth yet.

The clutchless shifting is an absolute blast. As good as it feels to rip through a good heel-toe braking zone, this is a whole new level of awesome. The brakes are simply amazing. The pedal pressures are WAY more than the Vettes, but they are unbelievably precise and predictable. I never even began to push hard and was still braking deeper than I ever could with my C5Z with the AP T1s. As I get better with the bias adjust, getting them dialed in should make it even better.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to hook up any data or video so I have no hard numbers but it feels like a rocket. The track was packed... I don't think I had a single lap without having to deal with at least 3-4 cars. I was also just getting used to it. I wasn't even remotely coming close to pushing hard. I was coasting into braking zones, short shifting, and being very gentle on the throttle. Even with all of that, my father was clocking laps in the 2:10 range. Through massive traffic and driving about 50%, I'm more than happy with that. There are a LOT of seconds to be gained. Unfortunately, it will all be paved and widened next time I'm there so I won't get a good comparison in lap times with my previous cars.

OK... enough rambling. Thanks again to all of those who helped along the way!
You only lapped me like 14 times in my chump E30

Pointing you by on the right next time though - ears are still ringing!

And yes - I want one....

And it's fun to watch the paddock cruising!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:03 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Advanced

Nice car!

Get notified of new replies

To Another to the dark side... bought an ASA car

Quick Reply: Another to the dark side... bought an ASA car