Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone raced a Radical?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Has anyone raced a Radical?

I know they are very different cars... but, how does the Radical compare to a Corvette.... Performance, feel, cost to operate, etc. ?

Thanks,
Charley
Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I have never driven one on a race track but for lap time comparisons…
At monticello’s full course 3.6 miles, a SR3 ($93k - $125k) will do a 2:17.9 by a good driver, and an SR8 ($162k - $200k) will do 2:14.
A TT3 spec’d C5 ($25k’ish) will do about a 2:30.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Great info! Thanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Corvette is a sled compared to a Radical. I drove a couple a few times and they are slick.
If for example the Vette is running 2:09 and the Radical is only running 2:05 it will feel like the Radical is doing 1:50 laps! Absolutely no comparison. Very high maintenance and high cost.

If you just want to have a heck of a time screwing around on tack on the cheap buy a Spec Racer Ford. I drove mine 4+ years and did almost 50 events in it, ran in the instructor group and got along fine. At VIR on full course they run 2:14's.

1670# with a massive 108 Hp Ford 2 liter ... LOL ... but they are quite a rig. Originally converted from spec Renault by Rousch Engineering for SCCA. Braks pads and rotors last a season and 8 sessions at VIR will use about 8 gallons of fuel. The SRF also either wins or finished in the top 5 at the 12 hour enduro at VIR running with the Porsche's, Corvettes and BMW's ....

Norbert and Richard have their two cars and spares for sale ... $25K
Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, the owner of the track in Pyrump by Vegas is a big radical guy ... check there.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Snuckley
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing like the open-wheel feel with 2.5g's in the turns, but I chose not to mix it up with sedans on track at the same time, therefore limiting available track time.
Formula Mazda(FM) is another great option to the Radical. The newer generation has a sequential box. Again , high maintenance, but brakes last long.
At least go take an open-wheel course and do some races in their cars. When you look up at corvette drivers helmet next to you , you will understand my safety concern mixing it up. A local guy had a Radical and tangled with a sedan at a HPDE, he did not survive.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:07 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

This comes from a friend of mine who was interested in a Radical and looked into the cost of maintenance - recommended schedule:
- Engine rebuild- 30 hrs,
- gearbox inspect - every event. Rebuild frequently
- suspension bushings- replace 20hrs
- suspension rose joints-replace 30 hrs
- Front upright, wishbones replace 50-60 hrs
- drive shafts replace-20hrs

I'm assuming this pertains to use under 'race conditions'
Old 10-03-2013, 05:46 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If I was looking to spend Radical money I'd be looking at a used F3 car. I did an F1 course in France this summer and got 15 laps in their F3 cars. Those things are a hoot, low maintenance, and the ones we were using could be had for $25Gs. The brand new ones from Lotus can be had in the $60s but then you need to add an engine.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 10-03-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

I can say I am pretty educated when it comes to Radicals specifically the SR3. They work well and contrary to what is being said here they are cheap to maintain. Brakes are cheap, tires are cheap. They use hardly any fuel. A close friend of mine has had two. His first one which was a standard SR3 was 30k. His second one which is a high downforce version is powered by the same Hyabusa engine I think he picked up for around 50k. They are quite slow on the straights seeing about 132 mph up through the esses and onto the straight at Watkins Glen. I have no idea how his runs compared to others or how well he drives it compared to others. For performance reference I was running 1:11's at NJMP Lightning in a stock Viper ACR and so was he in hiw high downforce car this past June. Thats about 5 seconds a lap slower than Andrew Aquilante in his STO prepared car there. The other thing about them is if you get a good deal one all you're doing is separating yourself from the cash while you have it. They need nothing to be ready for the track. Done with it sell and and recoup the cash you paid for it. Just DONT crash it. Then it becomes expensive.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone raced a Radical?

Quick Reply: Has anyone raced a Radical?