Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runflats and PTM Settings.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 PM
irieman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Runflats and PTM Settings.

I'm running my Z06 (with PTM) on what I can assume will be a cool VIR track later on this month. I took off my stock Michelin PS2 run-flats after 1000 miles, but I plan to put them back on for VIR to get some final use out of them. Am I crazy for running the run-flats? Yes, I assume???

Any suggestions on PTM settings? Thanks.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Hi Mike

I took off my stock Michelin PS2 run-flats after 1000 miles, but I plan to put them back on for VIR to get some final use out of them
Final use out of them????

If they only have a 1000 miles on them they've got A LOT of miles left on them!!!!

I put 10,000 street miles on a set on my original chrome wheels on my ZR1. Then I swapped them over to my Z06 when I got some Comp Gray wheels and a new set of PS2's for the ZR1.

Since putting them on the Z06 they've got another 8,000 miles of street driving, and also probably more than 3000 miles of hard track driving. I've run them at VIR and Daytona, and the PS2 ZP is a great tire. It's certainly not as sticky on the track as the Pilot Sport Cup or Hoosiers, but it's very nice on the track for being a street tire.

So....my original set of PS2 ZP tires has more than 20,000 miles with a bunch of track time. I won't be running them on the track anymore, but they've still got several thousand miles worth of tread for street driving.

When my Z06 engine blew last weekend at Daytona I was running ZR1 wheels with PSC ZP tires.

I brought my ZR1 out to run the rest of the event, and it has the stock PS2 ZP's on it with 10,000 street miles on them. I didn't have time to swap the PSC's on for the two Saturday afternoon sessions, and was going to put them on for running on Sunday. However, the track was damp for the first session Sunday morning and I left the PS2 ZP's on for the rest of the day. I might have been a couple seconds faster per lap, but 180 across the S/F line was fast enough and I kinda backed off and took it easy for the Sunday afternoon sessions anyway.

So....run the hell out of your PS2 ZP's - they're a great tire!!!

BTW, my '09 ZR1 doesn't have PTM, but I think a lot of the ZR1 guys run PTM 3 for track day events. Go take a look or do a search in the ZR1 section for info.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-14-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added BTW
Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 AM
irieman
Racer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hi Mike

Final use out of them????

If they only have a 1000 miles on them they've got A LOT of miles left on them!!!!

I put 10,000 street miles on a set on my original chrome wheels on my ZR1. Then I swapped them over to my Z06 when I got some Comp Gray wheels and a new set of PS2's for the ZR1.

Since putting them on the Z06 they've got another 8,000 miles of street driving, and also probably more than 3000 miles of hard track driving. I've run them at VIR and Daytona, and the PS2 ZP is a great tire. It's certainly not as sticky on the track as the Pilot Sport Cup or Hoosiers, but it's very nice on the track for being a street tire.

So....my original set of PS2 ZP tires has more than 20,000 miles with a bunch of track time. I won't be running them on the track anymore, but they've still got several thousand miles worth of tread for street driving.

When my Z06 engine blew last weekend at Daytona I was running ZR1 wheels with PSC ZP tires.

I brought my ZR1 out to run the rest of the event, and it has the stock PS2 ZP's on it with 10,000 street miles on them. I didn't have time to swap the PSC's on for the two Saturday afternoon sessions, and was going to put them on for running on Sunday. However, the track was damp for the first session Sunday morning and I left the PS2 ZP's on for the rest of the day. I might have been a couple seconds faster per lap, but 180 across the S/F line was fast enough and I kinda backed off and took it easy for the Sunday afternoon sessions anyway.

So....run the hell out of your PS2 ZP's - they're a great tire!!!

BTW, my '09 ZR1 doesn't have PTM, but I think a lot of the ZR1 guys run PTM 3 for track day events. Go take a look or do a search in the ZR1 section for info.

Bob
Hey Bob!!!

Thanks for the response. Sorry to hear about the engine in your Z blowing. That the type of news I didn't want to hear about before taking mine out on the track for the first time

I thought it was going to be nice to pull my GrandSport out of the stables if I had Z problems....Heck...you pull a freaking ZR1 out!!!

I run Pilot Super Sports as my daily driver tires and was going to use them as my wet weather track tires once I switched to Cup tires as my prime track tire. I'm glad to hear that the PS2 ZP's standup pretty well, even at Daytona, so it looks like I'll keep them for at least the rest of the year...or the first handful of HPDE's...to help with the budget.

I'm afraid Daytona will get addictive and I'll be making the expensive journey down there every year. Bob as I said before your so lucky living just around the corning from the track. I was in Alabama last week for business and it reminded me that I need to place Talladega on the track schedule for next year, too. I wish I could retire early and move to the south.

Thanks Bob.

FYI, If I didn't get back to you I did receive the TIPS. Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by irieman
....I run Pilot Super Sports as my daily driver tires and was going to use them as my wet weather track tires once I switched to Cup tires as my prime track tire. I'm glad to hear that the PS2 ZP's standup pretty well...
I've got a set of PSS on Z06 wheels, and I've run them at Sebring and Daytona - they're a GREAT tire!!!

I like the PSS a little better than the PS2 for the track, but either one will do a good job for you if you aren't running the Sport Cups.

Have fun at VIR, and I'll c'ya at Daytona in about 2 months.

BTW - there are no track day events that I know of at Talladega. There's no roadcourse at 'Dega, so the only thing that can be run there is the tri-oval. The only thing I know of where you can drive around the track there is the "Vettes 4 Vets" event the end of May every year (it was May 25th this year):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...y-whos-in.html

Here's a link to their website:

http://vettes4vets.org/

All you get to do is a lead-follow around the track. As I recall, each session is 5 laps, and you can do a couple sessions. There is a pace car (actually a pace truck) that limits speed to 90 mph, but guys commonly let a gap develop as they go around NASCAR 1/2 so they open it up going down the back straight to get some speed. It doesn't require a helmet or anything - it's not a "track event" in any sense. But, it's interesting driving around the track and it's a good gathering of Vettes for a good cause.

The main superspeedways beside Daytona that have roadcourses are Homestead, Texas, and Pocono, but I believe those tracks only run part of the tri-oval and maybe get a short run around one end of one of the banked sections - so nothing like running the Rolex 24 course at Daytona where you'll run 99.5% of the tri-oval.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-15-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Added BTW
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 PM
irieman
Racer

Hey Bob...

One more quick question. What's your recommendation on open lug-nuts that will work with the Cup Wheels. Other than Pfadt's $45 per set what else is there? I heard Napa (Part Number: ????) is a good source, too.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by irieman
Hey Bob...

One more quick question. What's your recommendation on open lug-nuts that will work with the Cup Wheels. Other than Pfadt's $45 per set what else is there? I heard Napa (Part Number: ????) is a good source, too.
That I can't answer - I don't have Cup Wheels, just the stock Z06 and early OE ZR1 in chrome and Comp Gray.

I haven't changed lug studs to any extended ones - I've still got the original OE lugs, so I just use closed-end McGuard and Gorilla lug nuts.

But, any lug nut with M12 x 1.5 threads and 60° cone style base will work.

The answer here on the forum of how to get more performance from your car is often jokingly "TITANIUM LUG NUTS".

So, here's a link to some nice open-ended titanium lug nuts:

http://thmotorsports.com/i-248174.as...abberNOFITMENT

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-15-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Runflats and PTM Settings.

Quick Reply: Runflats and PTM Settings.