Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 aero

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:27 PM
shawng89
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 aero

Has any one made ducting to use the fender cove vent to vent the front wheel well before? Also I'm getting an acp heat extractor this winter and was going to vent the top of the wheel well as well but I'm unsure of what would vent the best I may attempt to do both ways if it would not cause any harm.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:09 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend Joyce has her front fenders vented in this way. It looks pretty easy to do, just make sure you screen the hole off, and don't be shy about making it BIG. Getting the air out of there is a good thing.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:31 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Do you have any pictures of her setup?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I did this. Not sure if this is what your talking about. I also closed off the brake duct opening. Autocross only.

Steve A.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 PM
shawng89
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
I did this. Not sure if this is what your talking about. I also closed off the brake duct opening. Autocross only.

Steve A.
i am going to do something similar to that with a large screened off hole on the top of the wheel well , but i was also going to make some duct work that went from the back lower part of the wheel well up to the fender cove vent to help get rid of the air that is being routed to the front brakes . I am not sure if that will be overkill though.

Last edited by shawng89; 10-17-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:17 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you are going to open the top of the fenders, you'll want to seal that to the bottom of the hood to get the most effect. So make sure you compare the hood openings to the openings that you put on the fender and make sure there's a way for you to seal them off.

As far as venting out the back of the wheel well I think what you're really trying to do is get the dirty air from behind the tires. However you're doing that at the cost of pulling hot air from your engine compartment through those vents.
I've seen a car that has done it very effectively and if you look in the side vent you can see the whole back of the tire. I didn't take pictures of his set-up in case you're wondering, but Jim is on this forum.
I wanted to vent the dirty air through the side vents like you are thinking about but since there is a dry sump tank behind the RF wheel well I couldn't make it work so I did something a little more similar to what the C6R's do and just opened up the back of the wheel well by slicing the fender and tucking the back part of the fenders in a little more.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I am developing a kit for this as we speak. It's in the clay stage now. I have a lot of aero parts I'm developing for C5 this winter.

I just got out of a partnership building turn key track day cars using a Factory Five GTM chassis. Now, looking forward, this is the direction I'm going.

I'm doing two versions...one that uses the existing cove vents and one that requires you cut the fender and add my part to have something larger, with a small fender flare.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 aero

Quick Reply: C5 aero