Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trackdaze at VIR: Full & Grand Courses 11 & 12 Nov - Who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Trackdaze at VIR: Full & Grand Courses 11 & 12 Nov - Who's going?

I'm looking forward to driving the VIR Full and Grand Courses once again next month with Trackdaze!!

The weather is usually awesome and I never miss an opportunity for that sweet 4.2 mile Grand Course.

Who's going? Trackdaze always puts on a 1st class HPDE event. I'll be in HPDE 3.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 10-22-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:12 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Was on the grand course for my first experience at VIR. That was many years ago. I think it's the best course to learn on. One of these days I will get back on it. Will be at VIR the 2 days before you in November.

Gene
Old 10-21-2013, 04:49 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be there and instructing. I'll be in the black C6Z; my tow is a black Sierra Denali. I'm usually parked in Block 1 by the timing tower/classroom.

Sa Ya there!

Jim
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I'll be there and instructing. I'll be in the black C6Z; my tow is a black Sierra Denali. I'm usually parked in Block 1 by the timing tower/classroom.

Sa Ya there!

Jim
Jim, we'll be there with our dark gray C5 coupe and a burgundy F250 with truck camper on the back parked on "Corvette Hill".

See you then. Mike

A video from three years ago - a friend in his C6 Z06 chasing me around the Grand Course:

Old 10-21-2013, 08:32 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 71corv
Was on the grand course for my first experience at VIR. That was many years ago. I think it's the best course to learn on. One of these days I will get back on it. Will be at VIR the 2 days before you in November.

Gene
Same for me with Mazda Drivers, does not get better than that configuration. Grand may be a little overwhelming for some first timers, you almost need a GPS

Awesome opportunity for sure!

Anyone renting race cars for this?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys ... forgot all about this... I will be instructing this event in my Silver 221 C5
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I will be there Monday for the full course part of it. I will be in this:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
The weather is usually awesome and I never miss an opportunity for that sweet 4.2 mile Grand Course.
Couldn't agree more. I had to skip last year due to my wedding, but I put this on my "can't miss" list for this year.

I will be there with a black C5 #82 in HPDE-3, towed by a white Ford F150.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM
John01SS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be there both days with my Yellow C5Z. The wife (Mini Cooper S) and I never miss a chance to run the grand course. Doesn't get much better than VIR Grand if you like turning!!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:42 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it this year. The Grand Course configuration at VIR is on of my favorites !! You should run the Grand at least once if you have not.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it this year. The Grand Course configuration at VIR is on of my favorites !! You should run the Grand at least once if you have not.
Curtis, Janet and I will miss seeing you there and running in HPDE 3 next month - looking forward to 2014. I like how your video came out. I just purchased "Harry's Lap Timer Petrolhead" for my iPhone 5 (very reasonable price) and hope to get similar results. Mike

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 10-22-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Did you guys see the note from trackdaze ...

The event packet has been released for this event. Please read through the entire packet before emailing with questions. One MAJOR change is due to the paving and construction taking place at VIR we are being told that we must use South Paddock. We realize this is a much smaller space and we are working on a solution to make it work.

Good lord how are we all going to fit in that small area ? Is Pit in the left turn out of oak tree? Is the blend line track left down the back stretch? (never ran that course only full and grand here)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Did you guys see the note from trackdaze ...

The event packet has been released for this event. Please read through the entire packet before emailing with questions. One MAJOR change is due to the paving and construction taking place at VIR we are being told that we must use South Paddock. We realize this is a much smaller space and we are working on a solution to make it work.

Good lord how are we all going to fit in that small area ? Is Pit in the left turn out of oak tree? Is the blend line track left down the back stretch? (never ran that course only full and grand here)
That is correct.

I ran a private event on the South Course earlier this year, and those are the pit-in and pit-out blend lines. We will have to get the passes done early (before pit-out) on that back straight. Good news is the pit-out blend line is on the uphill portion of the straight, so it will be easy for us to see cars coming out onto the straight.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:39 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

I just got back from the Chin event at VIR. I excited that they are going to finally pave the pits, although it's going to be much hotter in the summer with all that black asphalt. I surprised they are paving the track; it's one of the best surfaces in the SE.

I'm going to the HOD VIR event on Nov 4 and we are using the south paddock so I'll let you know how it works out.

Jim
Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I just got back from the Chin event at VIR. I excited that they are going to finally pave the pits, although it's going to be much hotter in the summer with all that black asphalt. I surprised they are paving the track; it's one of the best surfaces in the SE.
Jim, it's more about widening than repaving. The one complaint about VIR for pro racing is that it's too narrow. I'd be willing to bet that VIR got a spot on the United Sports Car Championship calendar because they promised to widen the track in several places and improve the paddock.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. Lots of takers!!

I'll be there Monday only with this... making it's debut. I am driving from Louisville to pick it up in Tampa and heading straight North to VIR. Should be an interesting trip. Come on over and say hi!

On a side note... if anybody going needs some wheels and tires, or a seat let me know. I haven't listed them on the site yet but I should have at least 4 stock C5 Z06 rear wheels with Continental scrub slicks (good life left) on them that I am looking to get rid of as well as some Sparco seats, 1 has a C5 mount already on it.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 10-29-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Jim, it's more about widening than repaving.
Here are the details:

http://www.michelinalley.com/?p=15816

Get notified of new replies

To Trackdaze at VIR: Full & Grand Courses 11 & 12 Nov - Who's going?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Thanks, I completely missed this news flash.

Jim
Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Zeoohsix
Advanced

I will be there in my Yellow C5Z running in HPDE 1. Been to VIR twice, never on the Grand Course though. Can't wait to get there.

Name:  DSCN0594.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  67.3 KB

Last edited by Zeoohsix; 10-29-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zeoohsix
I will be there in my Yellow C5Z running in HPDE 1. Been to VIR twice, never on the Grand Course though. Can't wait to get there.

Attachment 47743278
Nice looking car :-) Maybe I will get to be your instructor (silver 02 Z # 221)

Last edited by RaleighSS; 10-29-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Trackdaze at VIR: Full & Grand Courses 11 & 12 Nov - Who's going?