Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Identifying Conti Slick Compounds

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 PM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help Identifying Conti Slick Compounds

I picked up 4 conti scrubs for DE'ing and noticed after I got them home that they appear to be two different compounds. Can anyone assist me in identifying the compound and/or what series they may have been ran in? Trying to determine which set of two is the hardest so I know which to run on the front.

The first two have "GS-I" which I'm assuming is some intermediate?

Two second two have nothing...

I have next to nothing in them so if someone says they are junk I'm good with tossing them. Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:18 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Todd at GT Racing Tires should be able to give a quick answer.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that that the GT-I's are similar to the older generation GT-O's which were the Daytona(high load, high operating temperature) tire as opposed to the GT-R; which is the road race circuit tire. I've seen them with no designation, which were used for testing, etc. It might not be compatible to run(I.E. handle like s#&t) GT-I's on one axle and some strange construction on the other axle. Personally, I like the GT-R's, the GT-O's are nothing special and if you mix them, they're s#&t.

http://www.continentalrace.com/downl...ional-Data.pdf
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

GS-I = one-off Grand Sport class tire molded specifically for Indianapolis Motor Speedway.....And yes...something of a hybrid as testing showed that what Conti otherwise had in their parts bin was not suitable for Indy...I think.

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 10-24-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 AM
braknl8
Racer

Thanks for the great info! Guess I'll hold off on running these.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM
lmtdconv92
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a bunch of info I have been able to dig up. Cut and paste from some emails.

THe tires I am running are 285/645/18 in the front and 305/660/18 in the rear. Both in the GT-R compound.

There is a GT, a GT-O, GT-R and a GT-I compound. After talking to GT tires they explained that the GT-R was the softest compound. For the season, I ran 14 auto crosses with 10+ runs per autocross and 6 track days on a total of 10 tires. I wont say there is much left over to start with next year. But overall, IMO they are stickier than a V710 and a A6, and dont heat cycle out as fast as a Hosier A6. And they are both more responsive to heat, and they cannot be overheated after multiple hot laps on track and while auto crossing.

The 285 and 305 numbers are the width in mm and the 645 and 660 numbers are the height in mm.

From my understanding there will be more and more take off tires in the 18" size from the different racing series as more series are moving to that direction. So IMO if you can get a set of 18's they are worth it in the long run.

Here are some more info I have found on the tires.
http://www.continentalrace.com/downl...ional-Data.pdf

Hope this helps

Chris

and

lots of good info in this thread

I really want to find out how to read the date codes though.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5852.0

In the Rolex series
The GT-O was used at Daytona, O for Oval.
The GT-I was used at Daytona, Indy and Wakins Glen this year, I for Indy.
GT-R compound is for other road courses R for Road course.

The GT-I in the Contenental Series was used at the Indy race last year and the compound is used at all tracks this year. Last year the 275's were marked GT-I for the Indy race, before this there was no markings. At the start of this year I think they were all marked GT-I and now they just have GT on them.

Also I have been told the GT-O is very close or the same as the GT-I compound. The EC-DR (last year's unmarked tire) will be a little different then the GT-O but it is not enought to make a difference for track use
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM
lmtdconv92
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to read the date codes on them?
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM
braknl8
Racer

Originally Posted by lmtdconv92

Also I have been told the GT-O is very close or the same as the GT-I compound. The EC-DR (last year's unmarked tire) will be a little different then the GT-O but it is not enought to make a difference for track use
Thanks for the info. So, based on the lines above I would be ok running these two different compounds together?
Old 10-26-2013, 03:55 PM
AJRocketeer
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Those tires pictured would be tires from Grand-Sport in CTSCC NOT Rolex GT... The GS-I was a Indy only compound, the unlabeled one was the standard used for the previous however many years (and a a Hoosier). I wouldn't run them unless you had a complete set.

Also current spec CTSCC GS tires with be labeled "GS" which is the indy compound from 2012.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help Identifying Conti Slick Compounds

Quick Reply: Need Help Identifying Conti Slick Compounds