Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving coaches and the Risk of the passenger seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Driving coaches and the Risk of the passenger seat

Saw this article the other day. I know it applies to many here from both the driver and coach perspective...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...ight-side-seat

Around four years ago, I was at the end of an uneventful weekend of trackday driving and instructing. My intermediate student had one session left and a strong desire to get the most out of his mildly tuned C5 Corvette Z06. Everything was going fine until, as the speedometer hovered slightly below the “130” mark, he said in sort of a disbelieving voice,

“My brakes don’t seem to work any more.”

The five or six seconds between that statement and the ensuing tire-wall impact will stick in my memory for a long time. We got lucky: we had a long, albeit bumpy, run-off area and my student was able to follow directions on safe car control all the way to the head-on hit. We walked away with nothing more than sore backs and a story to tell.

Sean Edwards didn’t have that same sort of luck. Or perhaps he’d used it up in all those brilliant drives, all those victories. Maybe there’s really no such thing as luck behind the wheel. When his student’s GT3 Cup car hit the tire wall at Queensland Raceway, it caught fire and there was no way to escape the inferno. Mr. Edwards gained fame as a driver, but he died as an instructor. A coach. A teacher.

Every weekend, hundreds of volunteer and professional driving coaches strap in next to a students on a road course. In some cases, the student is an established racer looking to shave a critical half-second. Those sessions are usually part of an established, ongoing, and trusted relationship between instructor and student. Other times, however, it’s maybe a volunteer with just a few years experience himself sitting next to someone he’s just met—an unknown driver in an unknown and often troublesome vehicle.

Most of my time spent coaching drivers from the passenger seat has been productive and entertaining, but there have been enough bad times to make me occasionally question why I haven’t quit the gig. I’ve seen things I wouldn’t believe if someone else swore to having seen them, like drivers taking their hands off the steering wheel and covering their eyes when things go wrong. I’ve ended sessions in which first-time participants couldn’t find the brake pedal under stress and therefore kept running off the ends of straights.

As word of Edwards’ crash spread across the Internet, I saw several well-respected drivers and coaches say they were reconsidering their participation in on-track instruction. I don't doubt their sincerity, but I believe that most or all of them will keep working with students, despite the risks. For many of us, it’s more than a way to earn a buck or snag some free track time. It’s a commitment—a calling, perhaps.

The next time—or the first time—you show up for a trackday and some guy or girl you’ve never met drops into the freshly Lexoled passenger seat of your car, take a moment to get to know that person.

He’s taking a risk.

He’s betting on you to do the right thing. To listen, to be responsible and responsive. To trust his instruction over your street-honed instincts. To be a safe and considerate student.

He’s willing to put his life in danger to help you be a better, faster driver.

If you think about it for a moment, that isn’t something most people would do for a total stranger. Your instructor, however, is. Which means he’s probably a pretty decent guy, all things considered.

Sean Edwards will be missed for many reasons, not the least of which was that he was willing to get in the passenger seat to help someone become better. Even though he knew the risks, as all of us do.

A pretty decent guy, indeed.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh... Great article, great respect to Sean Edwards and all the instructors putting so much on the table to help us be better at what we love.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I must say, every time I've gotten a new instructor I've wondered why they do it. They don't know me from Adam and they are going to "trust" that I'll not freak out at 137 on the back stretch. The first five minutes of conversation between instructor and student MAY tell them whether or not we are trustworthy (notice I didn't say talented).
Instructors are the life blood of the sport. Without their dedication we would end up little more than "boys and their crunched up toys". I salute their enthusiasm and dedication and willingness to teach in such a high risk environment.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:28 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
I must say, every time I've gotten a new instructor I've wondered why they do it. They don't know me from Adam and they are going to "trust" that I'll not freak out at 137 on the back stretch. The first five minutes of conversation between instructor and student MAY tell them whether or not we are trustworthy (notice I didn't say talented).
Instructors are the life blood of the sport. Without their dedication we would end up little more than "boys and their crunched up toys". I salute their enthusiasm and dedication and willingness to teach in such a high risk environment.
Instructors everywhere appreciate your thoughtful comments!

It's interesting you bring up trust, here's my perspective on the trust issue:

As an instructor, I am always gauging my student's level of trust in me. Because when it comes down to an emergency situation, I need to know that student will listen to me without hesitation and execute. Once I am confident they do trust me, I am comfortable making that student as fast as they can be, because it can be done safely.

I don't think I've ever been more "aware" then when I am instructing. When I am in the right seat, I am constantly evaluating the students trust in my instruction, the lag time it takes for an instruction to be executed, the student's available mental capacity (so I do not overwhelm or overload), the % of available traction the car has left, the "exit" strategy in case we have to drive off track, traffic, flag stations, and the student's consistency lap after lap. All these inputs tell me how quickly I can enable the student to approach the limits of the car's capabilities.

It is very rewarding when I instruct a student and see significant progression at the end of the weekend. I love it when they are blown away how much improvement they see, sometimes taking 20 seconds off a lap time is not unheard of for a beginner, and even 5-10 for an intermediate student. Their confidence grows, their skill set grows, their understanding of vehicle dynamics grows, their interest level in HPDEs grows. They have a huge smile on their face, and they go and tell their friends/girlfriend what an awesome time they had....and I feel like I made some small contribution to the world.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the problem is with the tech inspection. most tech inspections are a joke. I know because I passed a hundred of them with probably less than perfect conditions. rarely had I ever been asked questions about the car, how often I change the fluids, when the last time I bleed the brakes, what kind of brake fluid do I use. there are SOO many cars in line with little time the tech folks are under pressure to just check the major items and get the car out of the garage for the next in line.

How do you REALLY tell if someone is using quality brake fluid with a high boiling point or some crappy off the shelf pep boys brand? you can't. guarantee this guy was running crappy brake fluid and boiled it quickly. If you bleed your brakes and use top shelf brake fluid, you should not lose your brakes completely unless there is some catastrophic failure in the braking system.

don't know how this could ever be implemented, but if there was some way to easily test the fluid with some device or chemical strip, that would probably alleviate a majority of these "I lost my brakes" issues.

Also, if the driver is running R compounds with stock brake pads, that is also an issue. Obviously R compounds will overheat and quickly make useless of OEM street pads. This should be covered as part of the Novice and Intermediate class room sessions along with proper lines and courtesy. Car tech is VERY overlooked in HPDE.

Last edited by 95jersey; 10-30-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:50 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I teach my students to test the brakes midway down any long straight, and urge them to learn left foot braking when driving around on the street, so they get a better feel for the left foot pedal. I don't know why this very simple, and vital skill is not emphasized more in cars.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

A good HPDE organizer will ensure that car prep is covered in the classroom and on the organization's website. In the final analysis, a lot is put onto the instructor and the novice driver. You have to hope that everyone is prudent in their research before arriving at the track and have the good sense to follow the advice. As far as left foot braking, I was instructing in a car last year that experienced boiled brake fluid leading to a very compromised braking situation. Fortunately, we were heading uphill (turn 9 Putnam Park) and were able to negotiate the turn with the scrubbing off of speed at the turn in. The driver was an experienced autocrosser that was used to left foot braking. It would appear he was riding the pedal with the left foot just ever so slightly. Autocross did not present a problem for him but a thirty minute road course did. I always carry fluid and tools to the track and helped the driver change his fluid so he didn't miss a session. Now, when I scan the instruments, I also check the driver's feet very carefully (especially those in an automatic). As you can imagine I prefer right foot braking only on the road course while instructing.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:19 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Left foot braking may not be necessary on the track, but urging students to left foot brake on the street teaches them the muscle memory to get the foot over the clutch to test the brakes. It very quickly becomes second nature. Obviously you must also stress that the left foot should always rest on the dead pedal when not braking. In all of the instruction I've had since starting this last year, not one person mentioned testing your brakes, either in the car or in the classroom. After losing my brakes last year going into T1 at NJMP, a buddy who races suggested I start learning. Now I do it without even thinking about it.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
the problem is with the tech inspection. most tech inspections are a joke. I know because I passed a hundred of them with probably less than perfect conditions. rarely had I ever been asked questions about the car, how often I change the fluids, when the last time I bleed the brakes, what kind of brake fluid do I use. there are SOO many cars in line with little time the tech folks are under pressure to just check the major items and get the car out of the garage for the next in line.

How do you REALLY tell if someone is using quality brake fluid with a high boiling point or some crappy off the shelf pep boys brand? you can't. guarantee this guy was running crappy brake fluid and boiled it quickly. If you bleed your brakes and use top shelf brake fluid, you should not lose your brakes completely unless there is some catastrophic failure in the braking system.

don't know how this could ever be implemented, but if there was some way to easily test the fluid with some device or chemical strip, that would probably alleviate a majority of these "I lost my brakes" issues.

Also, if the driver is running R compounds with stock brake pads, that is also an issue. Obviously R compounds will overheat and quickly make useless of OEM street pads. This should be covered as part of the Novice and Intermediate class room sessions along with proper lines and courtesy. Car tech is VERY overlooked in HPDE.
First, you're correct about the tech line, I can have as many as 70 cars in line and only 2 guys working for me (3 on a good day). I have from 7a.m. to 9 before the first group goes out.

The questions about brake fluid and pad compounds aren't asked because they aren't on the tech sheets, not for HPRE or Time Trials and not even on the racecar tech sheets for club racing. And they aren't in the rule books either.

SCCA and NASA probably have the most stringent safety rules for any of these events but you can't cover everything.

I feel bad for Sean and his family but things just happen.

I'm way more worried about driving on the streets than instructing, I missed getting t-boned by a red light runner by about 10 feet yesterday.

Bill - SCCA Chief of Tech and 18,000+ miles as an instructor.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:50 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

IMO - it would be beneficial if those two line items were added to the tech forms of all organizations and clubs that have a tech form.

Type of brake pads
Type of brake fluid
Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,691 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I'm with 95jersey

When instructing, I go through the usual chit chat...How long have you been driving on the track, what type of mods, stock brake pads or aftermarket (and if so, I ask for more specifics), any brake cooling, type of fluid, did you torque the lug nuts, etc, etc. I want intel on the car and I want to know what they know...ie did they write a check and have no idea about the car mechanically or do they understand the dynamics of it? The engagement also helps to relax new students and it helps to build the relationship with more experienced drivers. Having said all that....

At the end of the day, we have a cross-section of the general public. That means that no matter what you ask or have them write down/identify, someone.....WILL lie. "Of course I'm using Castrol SRF..." when in reality it's Wally World special brake fluid they bought on sale. While comforting that a correctly written form and verbal confirmation may provide some legal coverage, it doesn't bring back a life or repair damage.

At the end of the day, we're trusting someone we likely don't know with our lives.

Of course it's not just about proper car prep. It's also how they respond to instruction during an activity that while exciting is also stressful for them. I had the unfortunate experience of having a student not listen to clear instruction that was given well before entering a turn (we had helmet to helmet comm, and it's on video so there's no ambiguity). The clear instruction? "brake, Brake, BRAKE!" Hitting the wall in a gutted early '80s 911 at nearly 100mph F!'ing hurt.

Nonetheless, my view is that if I can help one person drive better, it's one more person that will be safer on the street
Old 10-31-2013, 06:49 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
......... It's also how they respond to instruction during an activity that while exciting is also stressful for them. I had the unfortunate experience of having a student not listen to clear instruction that was given well before entering a turn ............:
Let me make a comment for benefit of those that are thinking about instructing or are somewhat new at it. You may find the occasional driver that simply wants to drive his way without any desire or intention to listen to an instructor. The only reason you are in his car is because he is required to have you in the right seat. This happens maybe 1 in 10 or so drivers. When I first ran into this situation I was hesitant to be as adamant and headstrong on 'I'm the instructor and you will listen to me' as I should have been. I was trying to be open minded, leaning more to the consideration of the enjoyment of the driver and his having paid good money for a track day and wanting to foster a good following for the particular organization that I was instructing for. However, after a few off track excursions, black flags that cost other participants their time on the track and realizing that you sometimes have folks that don't care about playing fair with others I now will do whatever I have to do to get a driver's attention and get things under control quickly even if it means leaning over into his face and yelling or turning the key off (almost did that once). I always use a chatterbox but I have seen a fellow slide the speaker down and not listen. That guy spun off twice. I ended his day. He has not been back and is no great loss. It is all about fun but within the confines of safety for all on the track (and corner workers).

Last edited by SouthernSon; 10-31-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:51 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My hat goes off to the dedicated instructor who does, indeed, take his life in his own hands when getting into a car with a stranger who most likely has tons less experience than he has.

I wonder, though, which is more dangerous: the above, or driving on the track wheel to wheel with (presumably) equally talented drivers in an actual race at speeds sometimes exceeding 150 mph. Instructors are most likely also racers, so they are more keenly aware of the hazards and can anticipate trouble quicker in order to properly instruct novice drivers well in advance of danger.

Anyway, when I attend an HPDE, I always arrange to have the same instructor.

Last edited by s'noJob; 10-31-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:29 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to admit that I have no plans on instructing, especially as street cars (ie. no safety equipment whatsoever) continue to get faster and faster. I'm greatful for those who helped me early on and I'm glad you do what you do... but y'all have to be f'n nuts.

When I decided to make the jump from AutoX to the full size road courses I packed up and headed off to Summit Point. I was in a 500hp track rat of a C4 with R compounds... on a damp track. I see the instructor that strapped himself in that car with me on that day pretty regularly. When I do, I remind him that there is absolutely no way in hell that I would have hopped in the passenger seat with me in that car!!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:58 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I instructed for the first time earlier this year, had 2 students. One was a 65 year old who wanted to drive his 996 better. I got him going fairly quick by the end of the event.

The other was Bo Duke in a 2013 Boss 302, All it had was good pads on it.

Air temp was 35*, first time out of the pits he was going WAAY to fast on cold everything. He was the guy who thinks being abrupt at everything is "going fast" the "****** and stab" guy.

I got him settled down after a good scream at him. This guy was hard headed and his ears were off. He was not a danger on track in my opinion but I could have gotten him faster if he would have just listened to me. This was the guy infatuated with lap times and had a timer in his car, I should have taken the timer out of the car looking back now and will in the future until I get better control of the student.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:22 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
.......This was the guy infatuated with lap times and had a timer in his car, I should have taken the timer out of the car looking back now and will in the future until I get better control of the student.
Yep, I have had 'that guy' many times before. Got to watch those that have buddies watching, those with a camera for a good youtube video and the ones that keep asking their friends how fast they were going. It would be nice to have an instructional write up for new instructors with input from a bunch of old hands at it. There are definite things that are warning signs.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:46 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I have to admit that I have no plans on instructing, especially as street cars (ie. no safety equipment whatsoever) continue to get faster and faster. I'm greatful for those who helped me early on and I'm glad you do what you do... but y'all have to be f'n nuts.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving coaches and the Risk of the passenger seat

Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,691 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
This was the guy infatuated with lap times and had a timer in his car, I should have taken the timer out of the car...
Remember to ask them if they have their Smart Phone in the car and if they do, tell them to take it out as well. Plenty of apps out there that can determine lap times.

If you're instructing for BMW CCA or the PCA, unless it's changed at the regional level, they don't allow timing...hence the reason many will bury their Smart Phone in the center console....some with velcro mounting
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

I've enjoyed every instructor I've had in the short amount of time that I've done track days/HPDE...they must have ***** of steel! Even when I got soloed I still took the opportunity for an instructor every time it was available...there would be one or two little tidbits that help every time out.

Regarding losing brakes...here's a last-ditch method if your brakes COMPLETELY fail...had it happen to me once, back when I was into drag-racing...car caught on fire midway down the track and I went to hit the brakes...NO BRAKES...NOTHING...it had already burned...well, it was a standard tranny...simple solution...start banging downshifts...sure, it's only rear braking but that's better than nothing...got it slowed down to a roll and I bailed out before becoming Texas BBQ...smelled like it though.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Let me make a comment for benefit of those that are thinking about instructing or are somewhat new at it. You may find the occasional driver that simply wants to drive his way without any desire or intention to listen to an instructor. The only reason you are in his car is because he is required to have you in the right seat. This happens maybe 1 in 10 or so drivers. When I first ran into this situation I was hesitant to be as adamant and headstrong on 'I'm the instructor and you will listen to me' as I should have been. I was trying to be open minded, leaning more to the consideration of the enjoyment of the driver and his having paid good money for a track day and wanting to foster a good following for the particular organization that I was instructing for. However, after a few off track excursions, black flags that cost other participants their time on the track and realizing that you sometimes have folks that don't care about playing fair with others I now will do whatever I have to do to get a driver's attention and get things under control quickly even if it means leaning over into his face and yelling or turning the key off (almost did that once). I always use a chatterbox but I have seen a fellow slide the speaker down and not listen. That guy spun off twice. I ended his day. He has not been back and is no great loss. It is all about fun but within the confines of safety for all on the track (and corner workers).
I had one similar to that last month. He was driving an Audi R8 and done one or two schools at other tracks. He told me he learned better if I didn't talk so much so I cut down on the chit chat to see what happened. Things didn't go well and after two laps I couldn't stand it anymore and started giving him more direction. When I repeated Brake, Brake, Brake he told me he only needed to hear it once. I politely unloaded on him and told him that he wasn't braking enough going into the corner and carrying too much speed. Brake, Brake, Brake meant I wanted more braking from him. He wanted me to Solo him but I refused. He would have been a danger to to himself and others.

Bill

Quick Reply: Driving coaches and the Risk of the passenger seat