Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting modding advice for my '93

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:05 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting modding advice for my '93

Hey everyone!

I posted this a little while ago in the C4 Tech & Performance section, but I am looking for a little more in depth responses so I'm here! Anyways, I'm looking to turn my C4 into a great auto-x car, but still retaining the great DD ability that Corvettes have.

So far my plan is;
-Half cage
-Good seats (Sparco, Corbeau, etc.)
-5-point harness
-Camber Brace (just waiting on the UPS man )
-C4 Convertible X-brace to help the horizontal frame flex
-C6 Z06 Brakes
-C6 Z06 wheels

I'm not really concerned about making it fast at the moment. I just want to make it handle and stop until I can build up my skill level. 300hp is enough for me right now.

What do you guys think? What more should I do?

Last edited by VeryUnoriginal; 10-31-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:32 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a terrible list. The camber brace makes a LOT of difference on the C4. The half cage will stiffen it up a bit too which is good.

A seat would hands down be my #1 modification after the basics of good pads, fluids, etc are taken care of.

What trans? What rear?

My opinion that if you are going to do brakes, I would go with the Wilwood SL6 on a C4 as opposed to the C6Z setup. It's reasonably priced and you have a ton of much more affordable pad options with the common backing plate. Depending on what you are doing, the C4 J55s could be sufficient for AutoX and save some cash.

As for wheels, I'm not sure about the backspacing/fitment of the C6Zs on a C4 unless you are going to the non OEM look-alikes that are made for the C4.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
Not a terrible list. The camber brace makes a LOT of difference on the C4. The half cage will stiffen it up a bit too which is good.

A seat would hands down be my #1 modification after the basics of good pads, fluids, etc are taken care of.

What trans? What rear?

My opinion that if you are going to do brakes, I would go with the Wilwood SL6 on a C4 as opposed to the C6Z setup. It's reasonably priced and you have a ton of much more affordable pad options with the common backing plate. Depending on what you are doing, the C4 J55s could be sufficient for AutoX and save some cash.

As for wheels, I'm not sure about the backspacing/fitment of the C6Zs on a C4 unless you are going to the non OEM look-alikes that are made for the C4.
Probably should have added more details. It's a 6-speed with the stock 3.45 D44. If the Wilwood's are cheaper, I'll definitely go with them! My grandfather's C5 vert has a Wilwood big brake kit on it and I'm trying to reproduce the stopping power from his car.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I was also going to suggest not going with C6 brakes, and I still am.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I was also going to suggest not going with C6 brakes, and I still am.
May I ask why not? Is it the price that's driving you away? I'm not dead seat on the Z06 brakes, I'm just going around that size or in that ballpark. I have considered the C4 J55 brakes, but I don't want to change them and realize that I want more stopping power. I would rather have too much than too little.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

I'm not saying don't upgrade, I'm saying don't get the C6 stuff. Those padlets are stupid, the Wilwood SL6R is a very reasonably priced caliper upgrade. 1 piece pad selection for the C6 calipers seems to suck too.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 AM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

I'm not saying don't upgrade, I'm saying don't get the C6 stuff. Those padlets are stupid, the Wilwood SL6R is a very reasonably priced caliper upgrade. 1 piece pad selection for the C6 calipers seems to suck too.
I know you weren't saying not to upgrade, I'm just wonder why not the specific C6 hardware? I'm sure once I got close to buying my brakes my research would have persuaded me away. The experience I've had with Wilwood is that they are very good quality brakes, and would love to have them on my C4.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Can you share what class you want to have it be a "great autox" car in?

That will have an awful lot to do with what folks recommend.

I love the handling of my 93 with Bilstein's, Rippe Coilovers with very stiff springs, big sway bars, Rippe FX3 chip, custom offset Fikse's running 315s in the back, convertible cross brace, 383, Kumho Ecsta 700s, etc. but it will never be a great autox car because it would fit in a Prepared Class and it would be tail end Charlie against built B Prepared cars.

Last edited by pkincy; 11-01-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:21 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Originally Posted by pkincy
Can you share what class you want to have it be a "great autox" car in?

That will have an awful lot to do with what folks recommend.

I love the handling of my 93 with Bilstein's, Rippe Coilovers with very stiff springs, big sway bars, Rippe FX3 chip, custom offset Fikse's running 315s in the back, convertible cross brace, 383, Kumho Ecsta 700s, etc. but it will never be a great autox car because it would fit in a Prepared Class and it would be tail end Charlie against built B Prepared cars.
To be honest, I don't exactly know what class I want it to be in. Which in hindsight should be something that I need figure out. I just want to make the car the best drivers car it can be, until I can specify what class I want to be in. Hell, I'm not even sure if I want to be competitive per say, I just want to make a hell of a street car that can still be daily driven.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VeryUnoriginal
I know you weren't saying not to upgrade, I'm just wonder why not the specific C6 hardware? I'm sure once I got close to buying my brakes my research would have persuaded me away. The experience I've had with Wilwood is that they are very good quality brakes, and would love to have them on my C4.
I want to say the C6 calipers still have some uneven pad wear issues. That and they're not a true race oriented caliper. Cost/selection of pads too.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

I want to say the C6 calipers still have some uneven pad wear issues. That and they're not a true race oriented caliper. Cost/selection of pads too.
Makes sense. Thanks! Now to figure out what sizes and brands to get..
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VeryUnoriginal
Makes sense. Thanks! Now to figure out what sizes and brands to get..
On a C4? Zero question in my mind:

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 11-04-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your car is 20 years old so start with the basics. Bushings, Tie rods, ball joints, and hubs. Check all.

30/26 sway bars and some cheap re-valved Bilsteins

Aggressive pads and fluid should be good enough for Autocross to get started.

Matt

Last edited by mrc24x; 11-04-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Or buy mine...already fully set up and pennies on the dollar
Old 11-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

J55s and a good pad is all that's needed for AX ,as far as brakes are concerned . You wont notice the camber or X brace if you are a nooby
Get some tires ,shocks , bushings .
Learn on a street tire before slicks

Old 11-04-2013, 04:46 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrc24x
Your car is 20 years old so start with the basics. Bushings, Tie rods, ball joints, and hubs. Check all.

30/26 sway bars and some cheap re-valved Bilsteins

Aggressive pads and fluid should be good enough for Autocross to get started.

Matt
Way ahead of you my friend! There was a thread on the C4 section about sway bars and I learned a lot. Going to be looking for them in the very near future. The stock brakes will (barely) do for now. Going to change the fluid soon and get good pads right before the next season starts. The pads now are good enough to last me on the street until then. I'm not going to make the car any faster until I do a good brake upgrade.

Originally Posted by Rob31
J55s and a good pad is all that's needed for AX ,as far as brakes are concerned . You wont notice the camber or X brace if you are a nooby
Get some tires ,shocks , bushings .
Learn on a street tire before slicks
Of course! Starting off stock/close to stock and then going to start adding the fun mods. I'm running Nitto NT555's which are great tires!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 PM
imadirtguy
Intermediate

The mod that had the greatest effect on autocrossing my 91 was changing the rear spring to an 84 z51 spring. Got the car to rotate and eliminated a lot of the under steer.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:36 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
On a C4? Zero question in my mind:

I think I've figured out what I'm doing with brakes. Now to decide what 18" wheels to go with...

Last edited by VeryUnoriginal; 11-13-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wanting modding advice for my '93

Quick Reply: Wanting modding advice for my '93