Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob Q: Street Tire Remaining Life vs Performance Degradation

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 03:56 PM
BAMbrick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noob Q: Street Tire Remaining Life vs Performance Degradation

Hey guys,

So, when do you notice a degradation of performance of your street tires versus how much tread is left?

For example, I ran a track event during the heat of the summer in one of the deserts of Southern California with tires that had very little life left in them (hitting wear bar between treads). It was as if someone greased the track and was a great lesson in car control with throttle inputs. I see people talking about running their slicks to the wear bars, but that must be more of a budget choice than a performance choice. I assume that the tire's performance degrades relative to the amount of usable rubber. Is this true of street tires?

I'm ready for some lessons.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:46 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAMbrick
Hey guys,

So, when do you notice a degradation of performance of your street tires versus how much tread is left?

For example, I ran a track event during the heat of the summer in one of the deserts of Southern California with tires that had very little life left in them (hitting wear bar between treads). It was as if someone greased the track and was a great lesson in car control with throttle inputs. I see people talking about running their slicks to the wear bars, but that must be more of a budget choice than a performance choice. I assume that the tire's performance degrades relative to the amount of usable rubber. Is this true of street tires?

I'm ready for some lessons.
I haven't run street tires in a while but they are definitely going to degrade once you use up the best rubber. Slicks you run until you can see the cords. Obviously the good rubber is gone by then.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I guess it depends on the tire - the first set of tires on my daily driver (some sport tire from bfg) were stickier when they had no tread left... however the cords were not showing - they just looked like slicks at that point.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of Kumho XS that I put on in 2010 . Not yet on the wear bars . hard as a rock . great for a trackday . First session is a little greasy , second time out better . The hotter it is the sooner they come in . I bet I could get another two years on them before they cord
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always heard that, independent of other factors, wear on street tires is actually better since you have more rubber on the road-- same reason why people shave tires. Don't know if it's true, but makes sense in a way.

I think the *big* issue is heat cycles. Most street tires are designed to operate in a wide variety of temperatures, but they can still degrade from constant changes in core temperature just like DOT's or slicks. I once tracked a 5 year old set of 25,000+ mile FireHawk WideOvals on a cold day, and I might as well have been driving on ice.

Long story short, I'd rather drive on a set of worn but minimally heat cycled tires vs. the opposite. Since those two factors are typically related on street tires (i.e. wear comes with lots of heat cycles), my wild stab-in-the-dark guess is that there is a fairly linear drop off in performance.

Last edited by FuriousDonuts; 11-07-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Noob Q: Street Tire Remaining Life vs Performance Degradation

Quick Reply: Noob Q: Street Tire Remaining Life vs Performance Degradation