Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Daytona in conjunction with your trip to the NCM Sebring HPDE next April

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:02 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Default Run Daytona in conjunction with your trip to the NCM Sebring HPDE next April

Just a heads up - I just learned that there will be a track event at Daytona April 10-11, 2014 here at Daytona.

The NCM Sebring HPDE is scheduled for April 14-15.

So....if you're traveling some distance to attend the NCM Sebring event, you might want to take advantage of being in the area to run the Rolex 24 roadcourse at the Daytona Int'l Speedway.

Here's a link to info about the Daytona event:

http://www.clubregistration.net/driv...?event_id=5456

That link above is after I logged in, so if it doesn't work for you just go to the www.clubregistration.net website and search for events at Daytona.

However, here's what it says:

Event Name CECF Charity Track Days sponsored by Flat Out Motorsports (Driver's Ed) •Registration not yet open

Club Flat Out Motorsports
Registrar flatoutmotorsport@gmail.com
Location Daytona International Speedway
Event Dates 04/10/14 - 04/11/14
Registration Opens 02/01/14 12:01 AM (members)
(central time zone)

02/01/14 (all)
04/07/14 (closes)
(12:01am central time zone)

Timestamp Method When payment screen is viewed for first time.
Description Drive your car on the one the most famous race tracks in the world! For two days, legendary Daytona International Speedway will be ours. We will have the FULL Rolex 24 hour road course (3.56 miles), and all cars are welcome! THIS IS A CHARITY EVENT and all payments and proceeds are going DIRECTLY to the charity not Flat Out Motorsports. We are simply sponsoring the track portion of this great event.

There will be 3 run groups for this event. One of the groups will be for Ferrari Challenge cars as there will be a challenge car race each day. The other two groups will be for all other cars and will be split up based on driver experience and car performance potential . Each run group will get FIVE 30 min. sessions per day. Cost for this event is $795 for 2 days and $495 for one day. REMEMBER all payments are going DIRECTLY to charity.

All cars will go through tech inspection done by Ferrari of Central FL. Please have fresh brake fluid and pads on for this event as this is the fastest track in the country. Newer tires are also extremely important, the right rear tire takes the most abuse at this track. SA2005 helmet, long sleeves and long pants are required for this event! No M-Class helmets will be allowed, no exceptions. To be allowed in the Intermediate or Advanced run groups a Nomex suit is REQUIRED. If you are a solo qualified driver that does not have a full suit you will be assigned to the lower run group.

This is a great opportunity to drive on a world class track at a time of the year it is not usually available to the public and the best part is it's all for charity.

We have gotten a group rate of $59/night at the Quality Inn Daytona Speedway located directly across the street from the race track. Just make sure to mention Flat Out Motorsports when making your reservation to get the special rate.

Quality Inn Daytona Speedway
2250 W. International Speedway Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL.
(386) 255-3661

Track insurance is available for all our events through www.ontrackinsurance.com or http://locktonmotorsports.com/insurance/

The track days are just one part of the the Celebration Exotics Festival. There is also a car show, rally, food & wine festival, etc... If you would like to participate in any of the other events that are part of the festival please visit www.celebrationexoticcars.com

If you have any questions please email us @ flatoutmotorsport@gmail.com

You can see that they will have two DE run groups, and to run in the higher group you need a Nomex driving suit. And then there are sessions for the Ferrari Challenge Racing.

It really doesn't matter if you're in the lower group - you'll go as fast as you need to, and you'll blast by any slower cars anywhere on the banking and in a couple straights in the infield.

As it says, you'll get FIVE 30 minute sessions each day - that's a lot of track time, but it is expensive!!

You can do one or both days.

So....If you're travelling any distance to Florida for the NCM Sebring event, just plan to come down a few days earlier to get in Daytona as well!!!

Bob

Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sweet! Great time of the year to be in Daytona.

I don't get why a full Nomex suit requirement in a street car?
Old 11-16-2013, 12:12 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
Sweet! Great time of the year to be in Daytona.

I don't get why a full Nomex suit requirement in a street car?
I've been to other track events put on by the Flat Out guys, and I don't recall the Nomex thing was a requirement.

Like they say, they're simply doing the admin part of organizing the event for the Ferrari Challenge people.

The "important" part of the event for the Ferrari guys is down in Celebration/Kissimmee area - that would be the car show and wine parties where they stand around in their red driving suits with Italian marque patches, and of course babes on each arm.

I suspect the Nomex thing is a Ferrari Challenge requirement.

Butt....don't let that bother you if you don't have a fire-resistant suit! Even if you run with the "slower" cars you can easily get around them in 2 or 3 passing zones in the infield, and you can rock-n-roll at WOT around the banking and down the straights on the tri-oval by any slower car.

I never was a big NASCAR fan, but when you're going around the banking at 140 or 150 and pass somebody who's only going 120-130, you'll be 2 abreast.

Even 2 abreast makes you focus at that speed, and it gives you a whole new respect for the NASCAR guys going 3 abreast at 185+!!!

C'mon down - you'll like it!!

Bob
Old 11-16-2013, 08:27 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

The "important" part of the event for the Ferrari guys is down in Celebration/Kissimmee area - that would be the car show and wine parties where they stand around in their red driving suits with Italian marque patches, and of course babes on each arm. .

C'mon down - you'll like it!!

Bob

I was at a VIR Ferrari event and remember the babes as well as some owners hiring drivers to take them out on track

I'll see you at Daytona in December.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Bob, thanks for posting this. I could not make the Dec '13 event but can attend the April '14 event. Account opened @ clubregistration.net. Will be online in Feb when registration is open.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US Icon
Bob, thanks for posting this. I could not make the Dec '13 event but can attend the April '14 event. Account opened @ clubregistration.net. Will be online in Feb when registration is open.
Now get on Corvette Museum site and sign up for Sebring as its not too much farther south, especially if you already travelled from Wisconsin....Your missing a great time in Daytona, I matched speeds of Dega last year....what a blast, Bob is a great instruction and not a half bad guy either! MY last session today...I got lucky and started out in front and it was great having the track to yourself for 2-3 laps until i passed the others in my group 2-3 times before the checkered.

Thanks Bob for showing me the lines and posting about these events. I just signed up for Sebring and will sign up for Daytona when it opens!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:21 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Scott, be sure to post pics and vids. I'm subscribed to your youtube channel. I thought you'd have gotten a little more top end speed at Daytona than what we got at Talladega. I recon the chicane just before turn 3 killed any chance of hitting a 170 mph-ish speed. Still sounds like a blast, glad to hear you had a great time.

I'm pretty sure I'll attend Sebring as well since I'll already be in Florida, and the track dates for these two events works out perfectly. Check your PM inbox.

Again, thanks Bob for the heads up on these two events. I otherwise would not have known about the Sebring event.

Mike
Old 12-07-2013, 06:36 AM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The GS just doesn't have enough HP to get to that speed in a short run, best chance is after the busstop at start /finish line. Only if you had an issue slowing down and blew past the busstop (threw the cones) and carried speed into Nascar turn 3 might you be able to do it. 4th gear accelerates nicely but 5th gear is the time to watch the mph tick up like hands on a clock...Now Bob has a Z06 and it can hit those speed but he has a 100 more hp.

Honestly though, It is so much fun to see/feel what this car can handle on a road course along with the high banks and not worry about it being a charity event with speeds that are supposed to stay under 100mph...
Old 12-07-2013, 08:33 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Scott, be sure to post pics and vids. I'm subscribed to your youtube channel. I thought you'd have gotten a little more top end speed at Daytona than what we got at Talladega. I recon the chicane just before turn 3 killed any chance of hitting a 170 mph-ish speed. Still sounds like a blast, glad to hear you had a great time. I'm pretty sure I'll attend Sebring as well since I'll already be in Florida, and the track dates for these two events works out perfectly. Check your PM inbox. Again, thanks Bob for the heads up on these two events. I otherwise would not have known about the Sebring event. Mike
Mike,

Ran 44 laps in the 4 sessions today....I pushed hard, worked the line, and dropped my lap times but the best I could get was 167.1 recorded on Harry's laptimer....not quite 170ish......now my fuel wouldn't make it through 2 full sessions if the track stayed green. My last session recorded a 2:11:08 lap time, but I was driving to music....AC/DC highway to hell was playing.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Damn fine driving, Scott!!!

You must've had a damn fine coach!!!

Bob
Old 12-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Scott, thanks for the video. My Vette is in hibernation from now until the next Daytona event in April '14, so all I have to get me through the winter is CF and youtube.

I'll personaly be happy if I can hit a buck 67 like you did.

Were you using your GoPro in that Video? The reason I ask is it's only 240p.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:49 AM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Scott, thanks for the video. My Vette is in hibernation from now until the next Daytona event in April '14, so all I have to get me through the winter is CF and youtube. I'll personaly be happy if I can hit a buck 67 like you did. Were you using your GoPro in that Video? The reason I ask is it's only 240p.
no that video came from my IPhone 5s...for whatever reason it didn't upload that great to YouTube but it actually looked better on my Iphone as well as a post I did to Facebook page. I have been running my GoPro as well but this app Harry's LapTimer overlays the data on the video for any lap you select.

I will post more video's when I get back to a WiFI connection to help get you through the winter!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 AM
grandadsvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The links don't seem to be working. How do I sign up for this event? I reaize you cannot sign up until 2/1/14. Just want to be ready when that day comes.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by grandadsvette
...How do I sign up for this event?...
Registration is done on:

http://clubregistration.net

You'll need to create an account, but it doesn't cost anything.

C'ya at the track in April - I'll be doing Daytona 10-11 and Sebring 14-15!!

Bob
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I will be at Daytona April 10-11 also.

I have been considering doing Sebring on the 14th too, but for some reason just can not talk myself into it. Additionaly, I have been considering doing Palm Beach raceway on the 12th and I have that track on my wish list ahead of Sebring. I could do all 3 track events as the dates for these 3 works out perfectly, and money is no issue, but for some reason which I can't put my finger on, Sebring just isnt giving me wood. And I'm a member of the NCM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:34 AM
grandadsvette
Advanced

Is there any experience requirements?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:00 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Is there any experience requirements?
Best I can remember, there was a novice run group last year - I know there appeared to be a bunch of novice drivers.

I don't believe they had any classroom instruction, which is a big part of a novice driver's HPDE learning experience, but I saw instructors/coaches in a bunch of the cars.

You can wait until registration opens and see if there is a novice run group you can sign up for, or you can email the "registrar" for Flat Out that's in post# 1 above:

flatoutmotorsport@gmail.com

The one thing you will definitely need is a Snell approved helmet. As it says in their info in post# 1, it must be an "SA" certified helmet (Snell "M" motorcycle helmets are not approved for this event, and most other track events require an SA helmet as well).

Snell certifies helmets every 5 years, and most track day groups require a helmet certified in the most recent tests, or one period prior - i.e., most recent tests were done n 2010, so you need a SA2005 or SA2010 helmet.

For your car, make sure your tires are in good shape (your street tires will be fine).

But, you should definitely consider flushing some high boiling point DOT 4 brake fluid into your system, and make sure your brake pads have at least 50% thickness remaining - your stock pads are marginal for track use, but may be okay for easy running in a novice run group.

I'll have to get ahold of Flat Out and offer to instruct/coach a couple of Corvette Forum members that might have limited track experience and are interested in attending!!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Run Daytona in conjunction with your trip to the NCM Sebring HPDE next April

Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM
grandadsvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Best I can remember, there was a novice run group last year - I know there appeared to be a bunch of novice drivers.

I don't believe they had any classroom instruction, which is a big part of a novice driver's HPDE learning experience, but I saw instructors/coaches in a bunch of the cars.

You can wait until registration opens and see if there is a novice run group you can sign up for, or you can email the "registrar" for Flat Out that's in post# 1 above:

flatoutmotorsport@gmail.com

The one thing you will definitely need is a Snell approved helmet. As it says in their info in post# 1, it must be an "SA" certified helmet (Snell "M" motorcycle helmets are not approved for this event, and most other track events require an SA helmet as well).

Snell certifies helmets every 5 years, and most track day groups require a helmet certified in the most recent tests, or one period prior - i.e., most recent tests were done n 2010, so you need a SA2005 or SA2010 helmet.

For your car, make sure your tires are in good shape (your street tires will be fine).

But, you should definitely consider flushing some high boiling point DOT 4 brake fluid into your system, and make sure your brake pads have at least 50% thickness remaining - your stock pads are marginal for track use, but may be okay for easy running in a novice run group.

I'll have to get ahold of Flat Out and offer to instruct/coach a couple of Corvette Forum members that might have limited track experience and are interested in attending!!

Bob
I sent an email to ask about a novice group.

I have a 2014 Stringray Z51, I hope the stock pads and brake fluid would suffice?
Old 01-21-2014, 05:45 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I sent an email to ask about a novice group.

I have a 2014 Stringray Z51, I hope the stock pads and brake fluid would suffice?
Great!! Let us know what they say about a novice run group.

As far as the Stingray brakes, I'm sure the factory brake fluid is DOT 3, just like the previous generations have been filled with. The C6 clutch system has DOT 4.

There was a ZR1 parked next to me in the garage at Daytona a couple years ago. After a couple sessions I saw him packing up. I asked what he was doing and he said he was leaving because his brakes weren't working. He told me he had blown the Bus Stop and the turn into the infield. He said coming into those brake zones at 160+ he was scared $h!tless when the brake pedal went to the floor with no brakes (fortunately there are good runout areas in those locations). He said he was leaving because he just didn't have any confidence in his brakes anymore. I asked what fluid he was using, and he said the stuff that came in it (which is DOT 3).

Pedal to the floor means he was boiling the DOT 3 fluid. Stock stuff might work at many slower tracks, but in your Stingray you'll be up in the 160 range across the S/F line, and when you hit the brakes to lose 100 mph down to about 60 for T1 into the infield, you want total confidence that your brakes will be there for you!!

Your stock pads with street tires will probably be okay. If you exceed the operating temp of the pad compound you'll have a firm pedal - you just won't get much braking.

Bottom line - I think your stock Z51 pads will be okay, but I really strongly recommend a DOT 4 brake fluid.

I've run several events with Flat Out, and I know the guys that run it from Cars-n-Coffee events we used to attend. Ill have to get ahold of them and tell them I'd like to mentor a couple Corvette Forum drivers.

Bob
Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 AM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I will be at Daytona April 10-11 also. I have been considering doing Sebring on the 14th too, but for some reason just can not talk myself into it. Additionaly, I have been considering doing Palm Beach raceway on the 12th and I have that track on my wish list ahead of Sebring. I could do all 3 track events as the dates for these 3 works out perfectly, and money is no issue, but for some reason which I can't put my finger on, Sebring just isnt giving me wood. And I'm a member of the NCM.
Watch this on Sebring and check out your man meter....

Quick Reply: Run Daytona in conjunction with your trip to the NCM Sebring HPDE next April