Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Mounting Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seat Mounting Advice

I have a Corbeau FX1 Pro fixed back seat arriving in a few days and wanted opinions on mounting strategy.

I'm 6'0" tall and don't have any trouble with helmet clearance with my C6 stock seat when I have it set toward the low range of adjustment.

Are sliding /adjustable rails and then side mount brackets on top of that going to get me in a bad spot with helmet clearance? Seems like mounting options are endless from multiple mfg's. I also have a fabrication shop on-site at my place of work that I can utilize for custom fab / modification of brackets if needed.

How about my 5-point harness mounting points? I installed a Sharkbar harness bar over the weekend for the upper straps.

Also -- is there anything needed with the electrical / airbag sensors since I'm only doing the driver seat for now?

Thanks!
Dan

Last edited by DannyBoyC6; 11-20-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: harness question added
Old 11-20-2013, 05:14 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I like these for mounting, as sliders didnt work for my torso height.
http://www.mtiracing.com/seat-rails-...ti-racing.html

Gave up on airbags as you will get the light anyway with a passenger seat, most orgs. require passenger seat and belts to be the same or better than driver.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:23 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
I like these for mounting, as sliders didnt work for my torso height.
http://www.mtiracing.com/seat-rails-...ti-racing.html

Gave up on airbags as you will get the light anyway with a passenger seat, most orgs. require passenger seat and belts to be the same or better than driver.
That's a beefy bracket and a beefy price to match! Of course, if I don't need a base plate (like Planted) and *then* side mounts, it makes the price more justifiable.

I don't care about passenger seat requirements for my current track day needs. It looks like VetteWorks has a simulator plug for the driver airbag sensor, but I don't know if that allows it to work or or just turns off the airbag light. It's a bit vague what my 3LT base C6 needs -- I'm not sure if I need to simulate the seat position either.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I installed these seats in my C5 with Arisen sliders. Here's the link

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...n-sliders.html

If you plan on using non-sliding rails you may have better luck with achieving the proper headroom. You'll see in my link I needed to chop the rear seat pegs to:
a. Get a little more headroom
b. Get a little tilt backwards. Seat was too upright.

HTH
Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I'm 6'1" but my height is waist-up (31" inseam) so I struggle with headroom. I never fit well with the stock seat in or C6Z wearing a helmet, would always have to lay the seat back farther rearward than I would prefer. I was sharing the car with my wife at the time and we put in a Sparco with a slider and I had to take the seat pad out of the car to get low enough, but even that was tight. Mounted directly to the seat base gains you the most head room and is a safer install (removes variable of the slider) but I get that there are always compromises. Just wanted to share my experience.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

I made my own and we are the same height... no issues.. make sure you brace the back of the seat to the harness bar.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:24 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by 5280Racer
I made my own and we are the same height... no issues.. make sure you brace the back of the seat to the harness bar.
Can you describe or show with a picture how you braced the back of the seat?

Thanks!

Last edited by DannyBoyC6; 11-20-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: removed dumb question
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I installed these seats in my C5 with Arisen sliders. Here's the link

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...n-sliders.html

If you plan on using non-sliding rails you may have better luck with achieving the proper headroom. You'll see in my link I needed to chop the rear seat pegs to:
a. Get a little more headroom
b. Get a little tilt backwards. Seat was too upright.

HTH
Thanks very much for providing a link to your thread. Very useful!

How tall are you, and how close to the roof line did your helmet end up?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

I don't have a pic but I took some 1" dom and welded a small plate which bolts to the seat back and then angled towards my harness bar and welded it to that.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:59 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

I don't have a pic but I took some 1" dom and welded a small plate which bolts to the seat back and then angled towards my harness bar and welded it to that.
So your lap harness belts - you attached to the base of the seat rather than the C6 stock seatbelt bolts. Is that pretty standard? Seems less sturdy, but I'm a n00b at harness configuration.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

I'll take a pic of my mount tonight. I made a 3/4 tube brace in the front with a tab on it for the sub belt then on the rear I made L brackets to bolt the lap belts to and they bolt in under the seat mount. It is exactly how NASA tech specifies.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:46 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

I'll take a pic of my mount tonight. I made a 3/4 tube brace in the front with a tab on it for the sub belt then on the rear I made L brackets to bolt the lap belts to and they bolt in under the seat mount. It is exactly how NASA tech specifies.
Much appreciated.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6
Thanks very much for providing a link to your thread. Very useful!

How tall are you, and how close to the roof line did your helmet end up?
I'm 5'11" tall. With my helmet on, I now have ~1.5" - 2" of headroom clearance.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:00 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the Corbeau double locking sliders and they place my seat a bit too high. I am still fabbing to make something work. I'm 5'11" long torso
Old 11-25-2013, 04:39 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by rabrooks
I have the Corbeau double locking sliders and they place my seat a bit too high. I am still fabbing to make something work. I'm 5'11" long torso
How close was your helmet when you had your stock seat all the way down? I'm sure it will make sense when I see how the stock seat is mounted, but I'm really surprised a fiberglass shell seat on rails and side brackets is much higher than the stock seat assembly with the motors and everything. It must be, as so many in the 6'0" range can't use sliders...
Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

How close was your helmet when you had your stock seat all the way down? I'm sure it will make sense when I see how the stock seat is mounted, but I'm really surprised a fiberglass shell seat on rails and side brackets is much higher than the stock seat assembly with the motors and everything. It must be, as so many in the 6'0" range can't use sliders...
I don't know for sure but I would guess, an inch. My helmet never hit in the stock seat so I never took a close look at it. I assumed I'd have plenty of room going to a racing seat. I'm going to modify the seat bracket by removing everything but the basic frame. Them I'm going to direct mount the seat to the frame. It won't be a slider but I can live with that.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

I went this route. I need to mount the seats using the side mounts to get the seat low enough. Then I had to cut the rear seat mounting pegs flush with the seat bottom. This gave me ~1" more headroom and a little tilt backwards. I thought the Corbeau's were a little to upright for me.

HTH.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Mounting Advice

Quick Reply: Seat Mounting Advice