Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding Drivetrain: Should I Use Solid Aluminum Couplers for the Torque Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilding Drivetrain: Should I Use Solid Aluminum Couplers for the Torque Tube?

I've got everything behind the clutch out of my car (C6 z06) and I'm rebuilding everything for a dedicated track car (roadcourse). I'm going to replace the torque tube with a 3.5" HD unit from the drive shaft shop, new bearings, and I've got a pair of solid aluminum couplers to replace the OEM rubber units that come with the car. But now I've been reading that this may not be a good idea? I don't mind any extra noise or vibration, but I want to make sure this is the most solid/reliable approach for a dedicated track car. Are there any reliability downsides to using two solid Al couplers on the torque tube? I've heard that while the solid aluminum is much stronger, it could possibly be *too* stiff for the powertrain, which may need a certain level of give in the driveshaft... is there any truth to this? Keep in mind that I am already using Pfadt's solid aluminum engine and transmission mounts. I'm going to be installing a new RPM ZR1 transmission in the car if that matters.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
I've got everything behind the clutch out of my car (C6 z06) and I'm rebuilding everything for a dedicated track car (roadcourse). I'm going to replace the torque tube with a 3.5" HD unit from the drive shaft shop, new bearings, and I've got a pair of solid aluminum couplers to replace the OEM rubber units that come with the car. But now I've been reading that this may not be a good idea? I don't mind any extra noise or vibration, but I want to make sure this is the most solid/reliable approach for a dedicated track car. Are there any reliability downsides to using two solid Al couplers on the torque tube? I've heard that while the solid aluminum is much stronger, it could possibly be *too* stiff for the powertrain, which may need a certain level of give in the driveshaft... is there any truth to this? Keep in mind that I am already using Pfadt's solid aluminum engine and transmission mounts. I'm going to be installing a new RPM ZR1 transmission in the car if that matters.
Only one is what I have heard.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:26 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

One is all I went with. I was told there needs to be a little give.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:10 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I was advised by one of our forum vendors to do rear only. Been in for a couple years now.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:55 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Its a track car, you are going to add a lightweight triple clutch at some point (PS: do it now, the drivetrain is out!) for the extra oomph it gives you coming out of the corners and the ability to execute lightning fast shifts. Those clutches are hard hitting, fierce, no-give on off switches. You just put the rest of the entire drivetrain under a lot more stress. I added the lightweight triple 7 months ago and have snapped one half shaft and 2 weeks ago I destroyed the rubber couplers in the torque tube during a race on an extra bumpy track. The half shaft was old as were the couplers.. but still it could have been directly related. I actually snapped one of the coupler bolts and bent another.

Going forward I keep two stock halfshafts in my spares kit and I'm going to keep 2 OEM rubber giubo couplers/isolaters (plus a couple of extra bolts) in the spares kit. I am also going to replace isolators proactively every 1-2 years just to avoid the inevitable. I can't imagine the stress on the diff and halfshalfts of going to zero rubber in the drivetrain with slicks and a hard hitting clutch. My vote is no.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Its a track car, you are going to add a lightweight triple clutch at some point (PS: do it now, the drivetrain is out!) for the extra oomph it gives you coming out of the corners and the ability to execute lightning fast shifts. Those clutches are hard hitting, fierce, no-give on off switches. You just put the rest of the entire drivetrain under a lot more stress. I added the lightweight triple 7 months ago and have snapped one half shaft and 2 weeks ago I destroyed the rubber couplers in the torque tube during a race on an extra bumpy track. The half shaft was old as were the couplers.. but still it could have been directly related. I actually snapped one of the coupler bolts and bent another.

Going forward I keep two stock halfshafts in my spares kit and I'm going to keep 2 OEM rubber giubo couplers/isolaters (plus a couple of extra bolts) in the spares kit. I am also going to replace isolators proactively every 1-2 years just to avoid the inevitable. I can't imagine the stress on the diff and halfshalfts of going to zero rubber in the drivetrain with slicks and a hard hitting clutch. My vote is no.
Which clutch is the one considered the best? I've go the TT out replacing the tranny and diff (mine just about took a dump 2 weeks ago on a rough road course).
Old 11-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard
Which clutch is the one considered the best? I've go the TT out replacing the tranny and diff (mine just about took a dump 2 weeks ago on a rough road course).

I would go with the Quartermaster 7 1/4" triple disc. The first one lasted me 5 years and it isn't treated nicely at all. You can contact Danny Popp as he can get you that clutch and the custom braided lines that's needed to work in a c5 or c6.

I am rebuilding my TT right now. I am going to use both alum front and rear couplers in it. We will see how long it lasts.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymz
I would go with the Quartermaster 7 1/4" triple disc. The first one lasted me 5 years and it isn't treated nicely at all. You can contact Danny Popp as he can get you that clutch and the custom braided lines that's needed to work in a c5 or c6.
What he said! Exactly what I did.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:53 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

After I did my own research awhile back I went with the BMW ones (same exact coupler) but made in Germany for certain instead of elsewhere. I think GM used them as factory before changing suppliers. Same part goes in a 318 bmw apparently. I have a Spec stage 3 plus and fordenza (sp?) flywheel. The Spec clutch isn't popular on this forum but it has worked for me on pretty stock ls1 racecar. McLeod clutches are popular with higher hp vettes in the circles I run in.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:14 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymz

I am rebuilding my TT right now. I am going to use both alum front and rear couplers in it. We will see how long it lasts.
The route I went. Aluminum both ends and same clutch. 420HP to the rear, been tracking a couple of years with no problems so far.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:46 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you guys going solid keeping the rubber diff mount?
I had a Pfadt diff mount and a QM some time ago, but the pilot bearing exploded. Not sure why, but it has me thinking that something soft is needed somewhere.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:45 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I had a Pfadt diff mount and a QM some time ago, but the pilot bearing exploded. Not sure why, but it has me thinking that something soft is needed somewhere.
Pfadt diff mount and motor mounts, too, in addition to solid couplings and QM.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:59 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Alright, I am chalking up my experience to NYC traffic (including many stops and starts on hills)+QM+towing 600lb trailer.
I had delrin engine mounts and the Pfadt diff brace at the time, though had rubber ends on the prop shaft.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Replace the pilot bearing with a bushing.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Why would it explode?

Also I'm going to be around 600whp....rubber still?
Old 10-21-2018, 02:29 PM
JetBlack_Z06
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
The route I went. Aluminum both ends and same clutch. 420HP to the rear, been tracking a couple of years with no problems so far.
i went aluminum on both ends and im getting hard vibrations at 2k rpm. Did you feel any vibrations?
Old 10-21-2018, 05:07 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

You have to align the wave perfectly.
A maximum of 0.2 elevation at the beginning and the end, then there are no fibrations
We build all track vehicles with aluminum coupler

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding Drivetrain: Should I Use Solid Aluminum Couplers for the Torque Tube?

Old 10-23-2018, 08:09 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

just adding another vote, I would just do one end. I am a big fan of the 5.5" QM clutch, but it won't last long
Old 10-23-2018, 02:31 PM
DJFIN
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A very wise Corvette guy told me that if you only replace one, guess which one is going to break. Had 2 in my car for years with a Quartermaster twin disc clutch, 475 rwhp. No problems
Old 11-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been running two of them for over 6 seasons without any issues.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Drivetrain: Should I Use Solid Aluminum Couplers for the Torque Tube?