Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SL-C superlite

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Default SL-C superlite

Anyone have even experience with one? driven? seen one run? Lap times?
Was Looking at one at JDP Motorsports they had in for some tuning, it's just looked like it would be really good on the track build from the ground up as a trackcar with their race cage ect.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Seen one - yes. The look and sound cool. That is all the help I can offer.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:14 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Seen one race. Fast lap times with a lots of hp (the SL-C team car to Mid-O for NASA nats in 2011 and the RCR SL-C team in 2012). Just about as fast as the DSR cars at Mid-Ohio in 2012, but the RCR SL-C is a very expensive build (Roush-Yates engine, LMP transaxle, new geometry, etc). The RCR car is at the Thunderhill 25 (going on now).

A "regular" SL-C looks pretty cool. Definitely could get expensive.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:58 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

I just notice that the 25 hours was on it was in the lead, now i don't see the SL-C on race monitor. there it is, currently running 5th
Old 12-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The RCR replicas and SL-C are interesting cars, all designed by guys that have racing experience.

They use relatively thick aluminum for the tub, (3/16" I think) and that makes for a pretty robust tub that they can seam weld without a lot of distortion. This cuts the cost of fabrication an awful lot. I would have to think that they are pretty stiff. The cage doesn't have to go to the bottom of the tub, it sits on the side tubes.

The only thing I don't like are the very short upper control arms in the front suspension. I think it can work, but the range of motion in that setup has to be pretty small. I would have to think that the ride height setup range is pretty small, and if you got too much roll the geometry would go to hell in a handbasket. If you put pretty stiff anti-roll bars in it and stiff springs and shocks it could work, but they really traded foot room for poor geometry and I think that might not have been a good way to do it.

Other than that, I think they are pretty neat cars and with a big power LS motor they would probably be a heck of a track day car.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, one of the SLC is in the lead now. Don't know if it has the center seat/altered geometry mods like the RCR Superlite.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:33 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

From what I have heard from a guy that tried to build on for the road these things are race cars that take a hell of a lot to make road safe! If the car is just for the track then these are probably a good choice, although as said very easy to get expensive.

If you want a more road orientated solution the UltimaGTR is a great choice that can be built to be VarRY competitive on the track!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
The only thing I don't like are the very short upper control arms in the front suspension. I think it can work, but the range of motion in that setup has to be pretty small. I would have to think that the ride height setup range is pretty small, and if you got too much roll the geometry would go to hell in a handbasket. If you put pretty stiff anti-roll bars in it and stiff springs and shocks it could work, but they really traded foot room for poor geometry and I think that might not have been a good way to do it.
I wouldn't be surprised if the travel from ride height to full bump is about one inch or so. At least the cars I play with are like that and we run around 25mm of clearance, ground to the front of the bellypan.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Here is a link to their web site that shows their suspension pieces. Look at the second shot that shows the upper front control arm.

http://race-car-replicas.com/rcrsuspension.html

The front upper control arm is maybe 6 inches from ball joint to the pivot axis. Probably to be similar to the front, the rear also has very short upper links. Like I said, if you severely restrain the travel (like in a race car with a really stiff setup) you can get away with it, but you really don't want to do that with a dual purpose car. Super high spring and shock rates tend to make the car skitter a lot unless there is a lot of downforce present,

You'd like the arms to be twice that for the geometry to keep the roll center from moving from side to side and up and down an awful lot...
Old 12-08-2013, 09:32 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

I would be building it for a track/race car and primarily for Miller which is a pretty smooth track. I have called Fran the owner about ordering a kit, 6 weeks out but I didn't want to miss the whole spring trying to get it together. Would like to find one for sale that is complete.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
I would be building it for a track/race car and primarily for Miller which is a pretty smooth track. I have called Fran the owner about ordering a kit, 6 weeks out but I didn't want to miss the whole spring trying to get it together. Would like to find one for sale that is complete.
I have one on order with Fran. Really looking forward to starting the build this spring. If you go to gt40s.com there are a couple for sale, one complete, one about 75%
Old 12-09-2013, 12:06 AM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm three quarters of the way finished on my SLC build. The plan is for street driving with the odd "track days".

I'm using a Corvette C6 gauge cluster, hud, bcm and interior wiring to give it a production car feel. The engine is a LSA block (for the piston oil squirters) and is now a dry sump 427. The transaxle is a Ricardo (used on the Ford GT). The tires and wheels are standard Z06 size. I added side marker lamps, a third brake light and license plate lights for road use. I didn't take the factory wiring. Instead I have replicated a complete wiring system from a C6 Corvette. The C6 Z06 headers and cats are in use as well as the complete EVAP system. Even the C6 fuel fill pipe and cap are used to make it easier to meet registration rules. Five point seat belt harnesses are illegal in my Province so a standard three point system was fabricated.

Last edited by KENS80V; 12-09-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:21 AM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Solofast
Here is a link to their web site that shows their suspension pieces. Look at the second shot that shows the upper front control arm.

http://race-car-replicas.com/rcrsuspension.html

The front upper control arm is maybe 6 inches from ball joint to the pivot axis. Probably to be similar to the front, the rear also has very short upper links. Like I said, if you severely restrain the travel (like in a race car with a really stiff setup) you can get away with it, but you really don't want to do that with a dual purpose car. Super high spring and shock rates tend to make the car skitter a lot unless there is a lot of downforce present,

You'd like the arms to be twice that for the geometry to keep the roll center from moving from side to side and up and down an awful lot...
I just measured mine for you......center of ball joint to pivot axis is 9 3/4". (front upper control arm)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 AM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by z06801
Here is a SLC for sale with the bulk of the work completed.....

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-cars...-145-sale.html
Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KENS80V
Here is a SLC for sale with the bulk of the work completed.....

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-cars...-145-sale.html
Thanks I've have seen that one, your looks great sounds like a solid build
Old 12-11-2013, 11:22 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Damn I'm jealous...I want to build one for the street. What's the weight on yours?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Damn I'm jealous...I want to build one for the street. What's the weight on yours?
It's not registered yet so I can't directly answer that question. Typically they weight approx. 2500 lbs.

Get notified of new replies

To SL-C superlite

Old 12-19-2013, 02:39 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I know Fran (owner of Superlite/RCR) personally and he's a great and super knowledgeable guy. I've been to his place a few times and his work is top notch. The SLC is an incredible bargain for what you get.

At Thunderhill, though teams have had various dumb failures, the car absolutely dominates the unlimited class. PDG has developed their GTM for years, and while they tend to have more bugs worked out for the 25hr race, the SL-C's spank their *** all over the track...the small teams have just had bad luck with things like steering racks and axles, etc. In terms of the chassis though, there just isn't anything in the price range that will touch it on a track shy of maybe his new car that he designed after the LMP Cadillac (he worked on the Cadillac team and has the original molds I believe).
Old 09-13-2015, 10:30 PM
sharkva
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Superlite Coupe

Originally Posted by RC000E
I know Fran (owner of Superlite/RCR) personally and he's a great and super knowledgeable guy. I've been to his place a few times and his work is top notch. The SLC is an incredible bargain for what you get.

At Thunderhill, though teams have had various dumb failures, the car absolutely dominates the unlimited class. PDG has developed their GTM for years, and while they tend to have more bugs worked out for the 25hr race, the SL-C's spank their *** all over the track...the small teams have just had bad luck with things like steering racks and axles, etc. In terms of the chassis though, there just isn't anything in the price range that will touch it on a track shy of maybe his new car that he designed after the LMP Cadillac (he worked on the Cadillac team and has the original molds I believe).
I know this is an old thread -- but wanted to post that I have one available: Listed on racingjunk - dot com--

Clear title, licensed, registered & driven on the street. This car has NEVER been tracked or abused. I am the original buyer/owner.

Since the "rollers" are fairly "standard" I'll list some of the items that immediately come to mind on mine - for more details visit the Manuf. website. I have the complete build manual along with pictures of build.

Isis Electrical system
Painted body
adjustable pedal box
Complete Rebuilt by G-Box - Porsche G96.50 trans-axle with Gikken OS LSD
RaceLogic Traction control system with digital controller
Tillet B5 Full Carbon fiber seats B5/C/GRP/SU - with Dinamica® suede covering)
TB3 Floor mount brackets B4 (pair)
Heat and A/C - operational
GM New crate LS376 (480hp) motor with GM ECM/wiring harness
Approx. 2300 miles I believe last time I checked.

$89.9K

Located in Richmond, VA -- Mike
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2015, 10:48 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

I'm familiar with that car. A good clean build. I've followed along Mikes build thread. That's a great price too.

Quick Reply: SL-C superlite