Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas container question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Gas container question?

Now that I moved up to a track only car I need to bring gas to the track...I know I can purchase gas at the track, but I want to have some with me. For those that bring their own gas.... What gas containers are you using? Or are they all about the same?

Thanks for the help,
Charley
Old 12-10-2013, 12:12 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

VP cans.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:17 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

They are all the same, as far as I can tell. I like the rectangular shape better.

Grab spare vents:
Amazon.com: Scribner Plastics 5223 Jug Poly Vent: Automotive Amazon.com: Scribner Plastics 5223 Jug Poly Vent: Automotive

Grab a filler (prob not needed on a "real" race car): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vp-5-Gallon-...-/310814395949

Here was my order from autoplicity:
Scribner 5 Gallon Utility Jug Red
SKU: SCR-2000R $15.78 6 $94.68
Sub-Total $94.68
Shipping $16.22
Order Total $110.90
Old 12-10-2013, 10:10 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

There is absolutely no need to go spend a lot of money on jugs. We use the ones that I think were about $10ea from ebay. Been using them for years and never had a problem and never had 1 leak.

Something like this. If you look around you should be able to find them even cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5Gal-Fuel-Utility-Jugs-Purple-/251398392476?hash=item3a88830a9c&vxp=mtr
On a positive, the bases are a smaller footprint than the VP jugs so they take up less floor space in the trailer. You can build a filler for next to nothing with a tube and fittings from any hardware store.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

First, check the laws in the states you'll be transporting the fuel in. Especially if your pickup bed's not covered (since you plan to have an open trailer).

The Radical isn't set up with a dry break filler, right?

The hose and fittings, yea, Home Depot, their clear hose works fine but gets hard after a while, easy to change.

The jugs with the "no spill" valves work really on cars like ours (center mounted tank).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g8007-4/overview/

Also look at the large, triangular funnel on this page, I use one.
BUT, on some cars, the rear bulkhead interferes with this funnel.

Northern Tool used to sell a beautiful gas transfer pump, plastic with a rotary handle, gas safe. I don't see it on their site now.
You could leave the 5 gal container on the ground and fill up. If you got the cell too full, reverse the pump and take some out.

A note on plastic jugs, always remove them from the truck/cart and set them on the ground when filling them (prevents sparks).
Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

agree with checking local laws or where you will be headed to most of the time. for instance I believe that in PA and NJ you must have a red container to transport fuel in. no reason to buy purple and get pulled over and have to buy new ones.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Thanks for all for all of the input

Originally Posted by Bill32
First, check the laws in the states you'll be transporting the fuel in. Especially if your pickup bed's not covered (since you plan to have an open trailer).

The Radical isn't set up with a dry break filler, right?

The hose and fittings, yea, Home Depot, their clear hose works fine but gets hard after a while, easy to change.

The jugs with the "no spill" valves work really on cars like ours (center mounted tank).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g8007-4/overview/

Also look at the large, triangular funnel on this page, I use one.
BUT, on some cars, the rear bulkhead interferes with this funnel.

Northern Tool used to sell a beautiful gas transfer pump, plastic with a rotary handle, gas safe. I don't see it on their site now.
You could leave the 5 gal container on the ground and fill up. If you got the cell too full, reverse the pump and take some out.

A note on plastic jugs, always remove them from the truck/cart and set them on the ground when filling them (prevents sparks).
Bill, The dry break is an option, but my car doesn't have it, so a regular fuel jug should work. I was wondering about the "no spill valves" They look like they could be a good option.

Regarding the trailer...I went out to buy an aluminum tilt bed open trailer...but, came home with a 20' enclosed car hauler. It is a basic model, but should work fine. I am about to make another post about trailer questions...so much to learn.

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
agree with checking local laws or where you will be headed to most of the time. for instance I believe that in PA and NJ you must have a red container to transport fuel in. no reason to buy purple and get pulled over and have to buy new ones.
I agree, In California Gas cans need to be red (or possibly black). Most people have told me that no one hassles them, but the gas stations are not suppose to allow you to fill other color cans.

Thanks again for all of the help,
Charley
Old 12-10-2013, 12:40 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I agree, In California Gas cans need to be red (or possibly black). Most people have told me that no one hassles them, but the gas stations are not suppose to allow you to fill other color cans.
Seriously... this has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I have purple, blue, yellow, red, and white that I use for various things from racing to my mixed gas for the weed eater. If somebody ever told me that I couldn't fill them, it would be met with a polite "Go **** yourself".

I guess the subjects of the places with rules like this should be eternally thankful that they are protected from the dangers of purple gas cans.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:46 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

As mentioned, you need red cans in NJ (and maybe elsewhere in the NE). I have had no trouble with red cans. I was able to convince a NJ attendant to fill up blue cans, but I think blue is typically kerosene.
These color regulations would work if everyone knew them (like signs posted at filling stations, on driver's license test, etc). Usually it isn't an issue b/c if you buy a little 2.5gal container for gas, they are labeled and only come in red. The idea is that people wouldn't accidentally put diesel or kerosene in a gas car. Had a friend do that growing up, in his parents' car, it was ugly.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:11 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Correct. Found out pulling into a station in Vineland about 10 miles from NJMP. I stay @ same hotel and go to same station so manager lets me slide.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A good friend of mine from NY called last summer and told me that there was an article in the local newspaper that a guy had been fined $5000 for improperly transporting gasoline in the back the bed of a pickup truck. No other details....

Jim
Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
As mentioned, you need red cans in NJ (and maybe elsewhere in the NE). I have had no trouble with red cans. I was able to convince a NJ attendant to fill up blue cans, but I think blue is typically kerosene.
Ahhhh.... New Jersey. Where you can't even pump your own gas. I wish that would be a law here... because I'm really getting tired of gas stations blowing up all the time.

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
These color regulations would work if everyone knew them (like signs posted at filling stations, on driver's license test, etc). Usually it isn't an issue b/c if you buy a little 2.5gal container for gas, they are labeled and only come in red. The idea is that people wouldn't accidentally put diesel or kerosene in a gas car. Had a friend do that growing up, in his parents' car, it was ugly.

If you can't put the right fuel in your vehicle without government mandated color codes... well. Yea.

I am thankful every day that I don't live in 1 of these idiotic places. No matter how hard some might try, you can't regulate stupidity.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 12-10-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt

Bill, The dry break is an option, but my car doesn't have it, so a regular fuel jug should work. I was wondering about the "no spill valves" They look like they could be a good option.

Charley
We use one similar to the red Summit one on the Formula Atlantic because the sidepods on the Atlantic cause you to stand further away from the center of the car.
With the valve, you can turn the jug upside down and no fuel will spill until you plug it into the cell. If we used the tubing on the jug, it would have to be 2 - 2 1/2 feet in length. It's awkward to try and get the tube into the cell while lifting the jug. It's not that great using the big funnel but better.
With the valve on the jug, you turn it over and no fuel flows until you push down to open the valve.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think our law in Virginia requires a special permit or container if you're transporting more than 10 gallons of fuel in containers.
I never carry fuel inside my trailer; I just think it will be safer in the truck bed.
I didn't see what kind of car the OP has, but Bill mentioned Radical. Does that thing really take pump gas? My CSR is tuned for 110, which eliminates getting gas at anywhere but a track.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5inWV
I think our law in Virginia requires a special permit or container if you're transporting more than 10 gallons of fuel in containers.
I never carry fuel inside my trailer; I just think it will be safer in the truck bed.
I didn't see what kind of car the OP has, but Bill mentioned Radical. Does that thing really take pump gas? My CSR is tuned for 110, which eliminates getting gas at anywhere but a track.
In high school, every Wednesday night was a quick trip thru Md. to the bars in Martinsburg.....er.....nevermind.

Out here in Reno, we can get 110 at 3 or 4 different places.
Probably a $1 to $2 dollar lower than the track prices.
Laguna Seca is just nuts on their gas prices.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

We use one similar to the red Summit one on the Formula Atlantic because the sidepods on the Atlantic cause you to stand further away from the center of the car.
With the valve, you can turn the jug upside down and no fuel will spill until you plug it into the cell. If we used the tubing on the jug, it would have to be 2 - 2 1/2 feet in length. It's awkward to try and get the tube into the cell while lifting the jug. It's not that great using the big funnel but better.
With the valve on the jug, you turn it over and no fuel flows until you push down to open the valve.
Great points Bill... And it is even CARB compliant. I will give it a try.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:58 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

But are they D.O.T. compliant is probably the more important question.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas container question?

Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5inWV

Yes it is a Radical SR3 and it won't run on regular pump gas. But as Bill said, there are still a few stations out here that carry racing fuel....Luckily for me there is one close to my house.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

In high school, every Wednesday night was a quick trip thru Md. to the bars in Martinsburg.....er.....nevermind.

I think I know what you mean about the entertainment in Martinsburg. I have lived here 12 years and the clubs seem to be multiplying. I haven't been to one, as my profession involves some accountability to public opinion.

Thanks for the insight on alternate fueling sources. I will look around for one in my area.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 AM
FNCG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Gas Cans

I recently went with Flo Fast, 7.5 gallon cans (which actually hold 8+ gallons). I bought their hand pump which allows you to pump 8 gallons per minute. No lifting, no spillage. Wish I'd done it years ago. Shop around on the Internet for best prices. They vary quite a bit. There is a good demo video on Flo Fast website.

Quick Reply: Gas container question?