Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: Harness bar for C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 02:41 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Default WTB: Harness bar for C4 (91-96 and 90-95 ZR-1)

No longer needed. I found a harness bar from a member here.

Thanks!

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 01-08-2014 at 07:26 AM. Reason: no longer needed
Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I just put a Sparco bar in my '87 and the bar sits at the right height so that the shoulder straps are within the recommended 20 degree angle for shoulder protection. This bar also allows for the use of the standard seat belts.

One thing about the C4 harness bars is that there is a 2" difference in width at the shoulder belt mounting points between the 84-90 and 91 and later coupes. What may be more of a concern is if the halo on the ZR-1 body is even wider than either measurement. When looking, you should specify that the harness bar is for a '90 ZR-1.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:16 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I just put a Sparco bar in my '87 and the bar sits at the right height so that the shoulder straps are within the recommended 20 degree angle for shoulder protection. This bar also allows for the use of the standard seat belts.

One thing about the C4 harness bars is that there is a 2" difference in width at the shoulder belt mounting points between the 84-90 and 91 and later coupes. What may be more of a concern is if the halo on the ZR-1 body is even wider than either measurement. When looking, you should specify that the harness bar is for a '90 ZR-1.
Thanks for sharing your experience and information with the Sparco bar. You're right, I can't use the model C4 bar with the earlier mounting with between B pillar. The 91-96 base and 90-95 ZR-1 share the same width. As far as I know, there is no difference with the ZR-1 and the later MY C4 in the B pillar and the differences are elsewhere in width. When I replaced my interior B pillar cover it was standard Corvette. Thanks for mentioning it, but I knew that I was looking for later model harness bar and made an assumption that might not be known.

Only a few of the manufacturers specify the year difference and not sure why Hardbar does not. The Brey Krause specifies their bar does not fit the early model years. It seems like more and more of the companies no longer make the bars for the C4 other than BK, EM, and Hardbar with current advertisement. I'll keep researching.

Thanks again for your input.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 12-28-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Hope you aren't planning to use a 5 or 6 point with stock seats, it's dangerous to do so.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill32
Hope you aren't planning to use a 5 or 6 point with stock seats, it's dangerous to do so.
Nope. Right now looking at Corbeau A4s because I know they fit, but also researching what else is out there with Recaro, Bride, Sparco, etc. In two weeks I will be attending Tokyo Auto Salon (the SEMA show of Japan) to try out all the seats there and take measurements; I might luck out and find something good and different. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I understand why this is, the whole sub strap thing right?

How about a 4 point? Especially if the car is mostly used for auto-x?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie

I think what he is referring to is splitting the shoulder belts around the upper seat back / headrest. It will allow the upper body to slip between the shoulder belts.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1
Nope. Right now looking at Corbeau A4s because I know they fit, but also researching what else is out there with Recaro, Bride, Sparco, etc. In two weeks I will be attending Tokyo Auto Salon (the SEMA show of Japan) to try out all the seats there and take measurements; I might luck out and find something good and different. Thanks for your thoughts.

I drove a 91 with A4's, liked them.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crepitus
I think what he is referring to is splitting the shoulder belts around the upper seat back / headrest. It will allow the upper body to slip between the shoulder belts.
Yes sir, not a good thing (the sub belt thing too).

In fact, if you come thru my tech line (SCCA), I won't issue a tech sticker for that setup.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Autocross has different tech requirements (and less chance of a frontal impact). Still not a great idea.

What does "mostly" mean?

My personal thoughts on 4 points: What most guys don't think about is that aside from the safety aspect of a sub belt, it's the sub belt length that determines the position of the lap belt when the shoulder straps are pulled tight. If tightening the shoulder straps pulls the lap belt up on to your stomach , it can get uncomfortable on the track.
It's not a big deal on a 1 minute autox though.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:24 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Crepitus
I'm trying to learn about autocross and I think I would like to try it but I would like to keep the stock seats.
Would a shoulder belt retainer be of any use to keep the belts from slipping off your shoulders when using a stock seat? Would the SCCA accept that?
http://offroadpress.com/wp-content/u...iner-strap.jpg
Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I'm trying to learn about autocross and I think I would like to try it but I would like to keep the stock seats.
Would a shoulder belt retainer be of any use to keep the belts from slipping off your shoulders when using a stock seat? Would the SCCA accept that?
http://offroadpress.com/wp-content/u...iner-strap.jpg
Nothing wrong with using the stock set belts just as they are for autocross events. The shoulder belt should not drop off and there should be a button on the lap belt retractor that will lock the belt in place.

As far as 4-point belts, Bill32 is correct, without the sub belt attached and adjusted properly, the lap belt may ride up to where it would not keep your hips from moving forward in a crash or possibly even heavy braking effort like you would see during track days or autocross events that would have some high speed sections.

I don't think I would consider using a shoulder strap retainer even with race seats. The multi-point harness buckle is designed to release all of the straps at the same time. The 2 shoulder belts would still keep your upper body within that part of the harness. In case there was a fire, that's simply one delay in getting out safely.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I don't think I would consider using a shoulder strap retainer even with race seats. The multi-point harness buckle is designed to release all of the straps at the same time. The 2 shoulder belts would still keep your upper body within that part of the harness. In case there was a fire, that's simply one delay in getting out safely.
I don't tech cars for Autocross so, I can't quote the tech requirements.

And, yes, the rules state that the belts must use a single point release.

Also, you can find used race seats for $200. Pulling the stock seat and putting in the race seat is like 10 minutes (once you have the race seat fitted correctly).
Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Thanks for all the thoughts and information related to the subject. It is great to learn from folks with track experience.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Reason I asked is for Stock now Street SCCA auto-x class you cannot change the seats. However, you can run harness bars and harnesses. From a safety aspect I think a better setup is a good thing and and they do hold you in better than the stock 3 point belts.

Sounds like stock 3pt for auto-x.
Swap seats and use the 5/6 point for a track day.

I've looked into the Jet Pilot harness and while expensive it might be the best compromise with stock seats? Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

I've looked into the Jet Pilot harness and while expensive it might be the best compromise with stock seats? Thoughts?
The Jet Pilot president stated that SCCA has approved his belts (dual release).
But I've never seen it in writing or it the rule book. It's possible that a SCCA inspector did issue a tech sticker for them I guess.
They are approved for NASCAR (which doesn't mean much for SCCA).
If you do run them, you should do some practice runs on getting out of the car quickly (I have the drivers that I coach do this once a year).

Too bad that "Cinch" button on a C4 doesn't lock the shoulder belt too, huh?

Yea, I'd swap seats for your track days.
But, I do run a couple sessions per event in my 92 with the stock belts taking students out and running about 90%. If I was running the car hard and running every session, I'd change seats/belts.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:41 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

The Jet Pilot president stated that SCCA has approved his belts (dual release).
But I've never seen it in writing or it the rule book. It's possible that a SCCA inspector did issue a tech sticker for them I guess.
They are approved for NASCAR (which doesn't mean much for SCCA).
If you do run them, you should do some practice runs on getting out of the car quickly (I have the drivers that I coach do this once a year).

Too bad that "Cinch" button on a C4 doesn't lock the shoulder belt too, huh?

Yea, I'd swap seats for your track days.
But, I do run a couple sessions per event in my 92 with the stock belts taking students out and running about 90%. If I was running the car hard and running every session, I'd change seats/belts.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience as an instructor. Last month I treated myself to the Z06 Experience (1 day) at Bondurant School of High Performance Driving in Chandler, AZ and it was my first experience of taking a car on a track. What a car it is in stock form and I was surprised to see only stock seats/belts. I could see how the car and experience could have been so much more if I was not fighting to keep myself planted (of course because of a my lack of experience too). Thus my decision to get a harness to try to improve my driving abilities as well as increase safety. I should have done it a long time ago after my first experience in someone's BMW M3 years ago and how impressed I was and how much safer I felt.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: Harness bar for C4

Old 12-30-2013, 05:53 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Now that I've installed a 6pt, my old Hardbar harness bar is available
Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience as an instructor. Last month I treated myself to the Z06 Experience (1 day) at Bondurant School of High Performance Driving in Chandler, AZ and it was my first experience of taking a car on a track. What a car it is in stock form and I was surprised to see only stock seats/belts. I could see how the car and experience could have been so much more if I was not fighting to keep myself planted (of course because of a my lack of experience too). Thus my decision to get a harness to try to improve my driving abilities as well as increase safety. I should have done it a long time ago after my first experience in someone's BMW M3 years ago and how impressed I was and how much safer I felt.
You're welcome. I've been instructing for 15 years, Bondurant is one of the top 5 in the U.S.
You're correct about what a harness does (as long as it's with the proper seat). It just makes a huge difference.

There's even a step above a race seat, which is a poured bead seat that's molded to the driver's body, really incredible, your body doesn't move an eight of an inch in one..........but they're mostly for open wheel cars.

Have Fun, Good Luck.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:29 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Now that I've installed a 6pt, my old Hardbar harness bar is available
Thanks. Sorry, I was offered one a few days ago and I'm good to go.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 01-08-2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Found a harness bar and no longer needed

Quick Reply: WTB: Harness bar for C4