Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 more HP or Coil Overs?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 100 more HP or Coil Overs?

What are the benefits of each option?

(car is 06' Z06 with slight tune, R6's, front BBK (DTC 70's) no other mods)

both could be an option also.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

IMHO suspension will give you a much better bang for the buck on the track. A good set of coilovers (LG or Pfadt), Poly bushings, heavier sways, alignment and corner weighting will give you a substantial drop in lap times. It will be a new car and you will have a learning curve before you can effectively use the new much higher capabilities.
The stock 505 HP in your Z is already more than most drivers can use effectively. You can already pass 85-90% of the cars out there on the straight so more is not really needed. Cornering power is where you will really decrease your lap times.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
IMHO suspension will give you a much better bang for the buck on the track. A good set of coilovers (LG or Pfadt), Poly bushings, heavier sways, alignment and corner weighting will give you a substantial drop in lap times. It will be a new car and you will have a learning curve before you can effectively use the new much higher capabilities.
The stock 505 HP in your Z is already more than most drivers can use effectively. You can already pass 85-90% of the cars out there on the straight so more is not really needed. Cornering power is where you will really decrease your lap times.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:22 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia View Post

2nd that Agree
Old 12-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I did suspension (LG coilovers, sway bars, poly bushings, corner weighting) at the same time I did aero (World Challenge vented hood, front LG splitter, wing). Lap times dropped by about 4 seconds. I did the motor the next year (about 100 rwhp increase). Lap times dropped about 1.5 seconds on typical track.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

If cars with less power turn faster times than you, the answer should be clear.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
If cars with less power turn faster times than you, the answer should be clear.
That can be so many factors there are almost too many to list. It could be the driver, the tires, the heat cycles, weight, HP, alignment, shocks, aero and more.

I am going to be the dissenter here. If it is only between coil-overs and 100 HP I might take the HP depending on the track. 100 HP is a lot, especially the results it will produce at Road America or Auto Club Speedway. At a track like WSIR coil-overs might be the answer, but I think stock Corvette suspension is pretty damn good. Many cars get faster with the coil-overs because other things were changed in the process, namely camber, toe and tires.

If you want the most speed increase of all going from street tires to A6s will get you there fastest if you pardon the pun.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM
GT Racing Tires
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Gary like stated above. Have you ever been passed by a car with much less HP?
<--------

Do the coilovers and bushings. Do you still drive that car on the street? Maybe time for a cage if you don't.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Olitho
That can be so many factors there are almost too many to list. It could be the driver, the tires, the heat cycles, weight, HP, alignment, shocks, aero and more.
And IMO the driver, tires, weight, alignment, shocks, and aero are the better places to spend the money. You are a lot more experienced than me though, so to name a track and say which is better is not something I can do.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

suspension before power IMHO if i had to do it all over
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Not necessarily in this order, but close:

1. Seat/harness/hans
2. bushings/camber kit/hubs
3. upgrade cooling for engine/trans/diff and upgrade ls7 heads for reliability
4. sticky tires with race wheels
5. data system and video analysis
6. sways/shocks/springs
7. lightweight clutch
8. weight reduction
9. full cage and race license
9. aero
10. competition and practice

More power would not even make my top 10 list with an LS7. Just my opinion.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:42 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Adding power to the fragile LS7 in a tracked car sounds like a terrible idea.
You should get the dry sump tank upgrade. And do something with the heads, but last time I checked there was no good fix for the LS7's appetite for Ti valves (other than adding boat anchor stainless valves).
I would stick to 1-5 on the list above, maybe play with sways if you really want to bolt something on.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:21 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Adding power to the fragile LS7 in a tracked car sounds like a terrible idea.
You should get the dry sump tank upgrade. And do something with the heads, but last time I checked there was no good fix for the LS7's appetite for Ti valves (other than adding boat anchor stainless valves).
I would stick to 1-5 on the list above, maybe play with sways if you really want to bolt something on.
Fragile LS7 ? That's funny..... to the OP go with the coilovers and Swaybars no question about it
Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

For an ls7 not upgrading the oiling system is going to cost you. The 06 still had the small tank and enough testing has shown that running anything sticker than the good years is pulling the pin on a grenade. Simply adding the larger tank along with baffles add insurance for a small cost. Parts should be under $500 and is a one time expense. The exhaust valve issue is still up in the air with strong believers on both sides. Some say there is nothing wrong with others saying it is a time bomb. Sure the truth is somewhere in between but the bad news is if it fails it seems to take the block with it. The wiggle test may help if there is a clearance issue but it does not seem to be a perfect test. Worst news is there does not appear to be a real fix for the issue. Your car and you have the choice to run it as is but be aware the engine is going to be over 10k in parts to repair.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jmurf28
Worst news is there does not appear to be a real fix for the issue.
I can think of one: aftermarket heads.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 PM
c6 zeee06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmurf28
For an ls7 not upgrading the oiling system is going to cost you. The 06 still had the small tank and enough testing has shown that running anything sticker than the good years is pulling the pin on a grenade. Simply adding the larger tank along with baffles add insurance for a small cost. Parts should be under $500 and is a one time expense. The exhaust valve issue is still up in the air with strong believers on both sides. Some say there is nothing wrong with others saying it is a time bomb. Sure the truth is somewhere in between but the bad news is if it fails it seems to take the block with it. The wiggle test may help if there is a clearance issue but it does not seem to be a perfect test. Worst news is there does not appear to be a real fix for the issue. Your car and you have the choice to run it as is but be aware the engine is going to be over 10k in parts to repair.

Mine is having the larger tank installed now along with a head refresh. What are the baffles you're referring too?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Racing Tires
Gary like stated above. Have you ever been passed by a car with much less HP?
<--------

Do the coilovers and bushings. Do you still drive that car on the street? Maybe time for a cage if you don't.
Todd, could be wrong but I think you are the only one that has passed me with less HP...I'm getting passed by a couple cars making more HP (E85)...hate that!

I do about 4-5 events/year with 2 @ RA. 40k miles on car 5k of them are track miles, so the car is basically a street car. I don't mind the stiffer ride but don't see caging it.

Get notified of new replies

To 100 more HP or Coil Overs?

Old 12-31-2013, 08:18 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c6 zeee06
Mine is having the larger tank installed now along with a head refresh. What are the baffles you're referring too?

Thanks
Here you go, I got mine from lg motorsports http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...mp-insert.html
Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suspension before power. Think about your total time at WOT on a road course, then realize that your suspension is working every time you turn the wheel, squeeze the right pedal OR the left. I'd do adjustable shocks at a BARE minimum. Once you hit double adjustables, you're only talking another $300-400 to put coilover springs on them.

Remember that with suspension upgrades, your corner exit speeds go up, making the power you have more effective.

That being said, if the car is mostly stock now, you need to do:
1) seat and harness
2) LPE oil tank
3) A6s
4) sways and adjustable shocks or coilovers
5) cooling (brake, oil and engine)
Way down the list) power
Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coil overs for sure, they get you around the corners faster than that 100 hp.

Not to highjack your thread, I have a set of Pfadt SA I just took off the car when putting on a set of Penske's. Haven't gotten around to posting a for sale yet, figured I'd wait till after the holidays. PM me if interested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 100 more HP or Coil Overs?