Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring 12 hour

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:42 PM
wkidvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Sebring 12 hour

For the first time I plan to attend the upcoming Sebring race. I plan to leave my Corvette home and take my Camaro 1LE to Florida via the auto train.

I have not purchased my tickets yet, but plan to be there for the full 4 days. Are the club level tickets worth the $550.00?

Just booked a room in the Lakeland area, it appears most hotels in the Sebring area have been booked for months.

Are there any restaurants in the Sebring area that you can recommend? How is the nightlife there?

Any recommendations for having a good time and enjoying the event would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Venture into the Greenpark, and Turn 10 areas of the infield, it's tame compared to it's prime, but it is party central. The campsites are impressive.

Walk the track, check out different corners, and be sure to visit the paddock....and cheer for Riley DP's and the Vipers
Old 01-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sebring is the American road racing community's winter vacation / block party / college kegger / Woodstock. Go. Experience. Enjoy.

From fans (Green Park - the spectator camping area) to the serious pros (the racer paddock), everyone is there to have a good time. It's where all the people serious about road racing in North America go to hang out, do business and recreate.

Don't know about fancy suite tickets...but if you want to experience Sebring, get access to the racer paddock, maybe the upper deck over the pits, and MAKE SURE YOU TOUR GREEN PARK, where the spirit of The Bog at Watkins Glen lives on. The Bog didn't die...it just moved south to Sebring.

I go to club and pro races in North America every year. Dinky SCCA regionals, all the way to F1 (Canada & US). My favorite race of the year is Sebring.

There ain't poop (cuz it won't let me say ****) to do in Sebring itself. Get a charcoal grill & a cooler, hang out at the track and stay away from the fire ant mounds. Revel in the weirdness of Sebring. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Don Keefhardt; 01-17-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by wkidvette
For the first time I plan to attend the upcoming Sebring race. I plan to leave my Corvette home and take my Camaro 1LE to Florida via the auto train.

I have not purchased my tickets yet, but plan to be there for the full 4 days. Are the club level tickets worth the $550.00?

Just booked a room in the Lakeland area, it appears most hotels in the Sebring area have been booked for months.

Are there any restaurants in the Sebring area that you can recommend? How is the nightlife there?

Any recommendations for having a good time and enjoying the event would be appreciated.

when i went i rented a van and bought a tent at walmart and a blow up mattress and stayed on grounds it was great. nothing like being there for 4 days. waking up to the sound of race cars. party all night if you want in green park or go to bed at a decent time if staying in the back side areas of the track.

if you got a hotel already that is good for you it was sold out when i went for 100 mile radius.

stock up on water as it goes get pretty hot during the day. lots of fun people watching, be sure to hit up night practice that is amazing if you havent seen it before.

I dont recall if the club level would be worth it or not, does that include full meals each day? if not i would probably pass. lots of other good areas to watch the racing from.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Sebring

We went last year, for the first time

and I would agree with most of the comments above, that you should focus on the RACE and track events and forget the town of Sebring. Forget about accommodations and restaurants, just take a tent and sleeping bag, get food at the track, BUT take whatever you plan to drink. Take lotsa sunscreen, BUT last year it was quite cold, so prepare for all types of weather. Just have FUN and enjoy the experience
Old 01-18-2014, 02:49 PM
BierGut
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

*** LONG

Some practical stuff... Good choice on taking the Camaro... wouldn't want to get that Vette all dusty. It will be very dusty so scope out the car washes if you like your car shiny.

Consider hiking boots and tall socks... again - very dusty. If you plan on nylon breathable sneaks... it'll be the last event you wear them to.

Someone mentioned sun screen -- YEP! Also if you are very sensitive to the sun consider buying a cheap umbrella at Wally Mart. We usually purchase a number of disposable items like coolers, chairs and umbrellas to set up camp on the viewing mounts. At the checker flag we just up and leave.

Regarding setting up chairs or just standing somewhere in the sandy soil... pay attention for red ant holes! It's not a huge problem, BUT if you do happen to stand on one it can really mess up you day for a few hours. (Ask me how I know.)

Expect to walk - walk - walk. (Unless you're a golf cart rental person)

... AND...

If you decide to drive around in Green Park (or anywhere for that matter) make certain you are patient and in no hurry as sometimes the procession of cars and trucks grinds to a halt. (But there will be lots of crazy stuff to look at. F-Troop provides some outstanding comedy straight from "Animal House" except a little more crude.)

Forget nightlife... Green Park after dark is all you'll need OR you'll be so tired all you'll want to do is hit your bed.

The morning of the big race... don't oversleep and give yourself one hour more time than you think you need to get in for the start... you'll learn why. My guess is you'll be driving about 45 to an hour to get to the track.

Food is typical carnival quality for the most part so if you are picky pack you're own cooler.

If parking in general areas... be cool as there is no rhyme or reason to any of it. Parties break out without warning anywhere at anytime.

DO ask for the girls to whip them out...

DON'T be alarmed if you see someone face down in the sand... they are only passed out. (most of the time)

Believe it or not even as crazy as it can be most of the fans along the fence pay close attention to the race and know what's happening even if they look like they are just insanely inebriated. Conversely, the fans farther from the fences are less inclined to know about the race or even that a race is taking place.

Spots you must visit during the race...

Turn 7, the hairpin early PM. Great group of really drunk people and the world's largest pile of empty beer cans.

Turn 1, from the outside at sundown looking straight down the front straight... you'll thank me. Just look for the 200 or so photographers there at that time.

Turn 15 after dark if you want some great shots of bright red break rotors.

Paddock on Friday when full.

Also, be polite, but I personally always feel free to walk in-between some of the camps and RVs to get to the fence. Many feel they own parking spots (which they DON'T) they have rented and can be total a$$holes and ***** about people heading to the fence, but if you are cool many are just fine with it. (This can be especially true at Turn one with the jerks who over paid by thousands for a rented RV with all the fixins' -- typical America these days, but I'm lucky 'cause I'm 6'3" and 300 pounds.)

I find the "Spring Brake Party Zone" a waste of time and a place for Sebring amateurs, but some like the scene and if you are 18 to 22 years old please disregard this entire post.

Most of all -- have a great time. Nothing beat Sebring.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Sebring is my home track. You have to eat at least once at the Sebring Diner. You'll be walking enough that you won't have to worry about calories.

Other than Sebring Diner there isn't much. Central Florida is the land of chain restaurants. Definitely avoid the Chateau Elan at all costs. That may be the worst food in Sebring.

Lakeland has a couple of interesting places. Black and Brew is a great sandwich place in the center of town. If you want cajun try Harry's Seafood Bar And Grille.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 01-19-2014 at 07:00 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-20-2014, 12:27 PM
wulf312
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend that lives in Sebring and I went to down to visit and go to the 12 Hours last year, and am doing it again this year. I was glad to get to see the last run of the ALMS here and will be glad to see the first run of United Sports Car at this track. The track itself is fantastic.

We walked the track for day one. On day two we rented a golf cart to drive around for the next three days. It cost $300 but was so worth it too us. We were spoiled on one trip we both won one year to an ALMS race at Road America where golf carts were provided to us. You can't take them to Green Park because of the mayhem that can occur there, but you can take them to every other part of the track. Like others said as far as night life... Green Park has all you'll need. It's pretty neat how people have their areas set up around there. It's basically a typical Spring Break party. However by the end of the race, the people who were completely drunk and still driving their trucks and cars around the track was very annoying and there were even fights that broke out for some stupid reason. For this reason we will not be parking inside the track this year.

Last year we had general admission tickets. This year we upgraded to the pit exit terrace (Gurney I think???) so we had a place to get out of the sun once in awhile. I highly doubt the club level is worth it. You will find that any isolation from the sights, sounds, and smells of the race take too much away from the enjoyment of it. On the trip to Road America we were able to go to a VIP suite enclosed in glass overlooking the start line. We hated being up there and quickly went back to driving around in our carts from corner to corner. That being said, there is little to no shade to be found in the spectator areas. Bring sunscreen and something to cover your face. You will probably be walking a lot if you don't rent a golf cart. This will get very tiring very fast with no shade and having to carry any chairs / coolers / food with you. You WILL get very dirty as there will likely be a lot of wind and there is DUST DUST DUST! Every night getting home my blue jeans would be tan from the dirt and sandy soil.

One last piece of advice. If you dislike being around immature drunk people and especially if you are parking inside the track, DO NOT park your car in Green Park. Anytime you aren't around it you will be constantly wondering if someone is screwing with your stuff. If you want to be around a mature crowd and be around some of the club racers participating in the supporting races, pay a bit extra and park in the North Paddock area. We ended spending most of our time there and I imagine we'll do the same this year. I love a good drink, with several more after the first as much as the partiers there do. How many drinks did I have last year for the entire trip? Seven beers. One a day basically. I was tired enough as it was. Alcohol would have completely exhausted me fast and I'm only 30 years old!

Like others said, the town of Sebring itself is just a typical city with a 30,000 population far from a metro area. Read... boring and uneventful. If it wasn't for the racetrack no one outside of Florida would even care about it's existence. It would just a be a large plot of orange groves.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit. I cannot wait to get down there this year myself!

Last edited by wulf312; 01-20-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:52 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

A few years back I sent the Audi team to Green Park. It was at night. I don't think they've gotten over it yet.

Richard Newton
Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM
wkidvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for all of the interesting information, Sebring sounds like the 'Woodstock" of racing. I have attended various ALMS events, Long Beach, Baltimore, VIR, etc. and never experienced anything like what several described. But it sounds like a lot of fun and I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM
amtronic1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You've signed yourself up for a heck of a commute, the route from Lakeland to Sebring is not a simple or easy drive. There are several spots where you do not want to speed, especially after the race where the po-po are waiting for wannabe racers leaving the track.
Likely the best route is 98 to 60 to 27.
Wave when you go past a cemetery, I got relatives planted in just about every one of them.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Forum member Henry Gilbert's Performance Driving Group has something worth considering:

Sebring 12 Hour Turn 1 Hospitality Suite

March 12-15, 2014

The 4 day suite credential, which includes parking is $150/each.

•Suite Amenities

–750 sq. feet

–Private, trackside access right on Turn

–Private parking area w/ security personnel at entrance

–Pub tables, chairs & Bar w/ barstools with trackside views

–Private, exclusive viewing mound adjacent to suite

–State of the art kitchen w/ Wet Bar, Refrigerator, Microwave & Sink

–Private restroom

–42’ Flat screen TV’s with closed circuit feed on race day

Here's a link for that info plus a picture and a link to purchase a Hospitality Suite "credential":

http://performancedrivinggroup.com/p...itality-suite/

Edited: Per Henry's post below - 4 day general admission ticket for the races is included in the $150 price for the Hospitality Suite. A GOOD deal!!!

The PDG Hospitality Suite sounds like a nice place to watch and hang out!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-22-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:13 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Forum member Henry Gilbert's Performance Driving Group has something worth considering:
Here's a link for that info plus a picture and a link to purchase a Hospitality Suite "credential":

http://performancedrivinggroup.com/p...itality-suite/

I guess that you still need to purchase general admission, but the PDG Hospitality Suite sounds like a nice place to watch and hang out!!

Bob
Bob, the general admission 4 day pass and the private parking are included. You'll be at Turn 1, Hospitality Suite, private bathroom, closed circuit TV and security so only PDG drivers can get in. Only have a few tickets left. You can come and go as you want. I might be racing my DP in the HSR support races prior to Saturday, it all depends on how things go with the 2 previous weeks. I am racing Trans Am this year and we race Sebring and Homestead the 2 weekends before.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by sgsvette
Bob, the general admission 4 day pass and the private parking are included. You'll be at Turn 1, Hospitality Suite, private bathroom, closed circuit TV and security so only PDG drivers can get in. Only have a few tickets left. You can come and go as you want. I might be racing my DP in the HSR support races prior to Saturday, it all depends on how things go with the 2 previous weeks. I am racing Trans Am this year and we race Sebring and Homestead the 2 weekends before.
IMHO THIS sounds like one heckuva deal
Old 01-25-2014, 01:48 PM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You will be there for at least 13 hours on race day, so yes the suite tickets are worth it. Think about how much each of you could spend on food each day alone. Then think that if it rains you have somewhere to get inside. When I went a few years ago we had a hospitality area and it was fantastic. Three meals a day, somewhere to get out of the sun, and while in there television with the race on.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:56 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

that is a hell of a deal henry wish i was making it down that way!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Have tickets to the Corvette Corral and hope to remember the race. Actually have a pre set limit to be sure we do.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:01 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

4 days for a n00b is gonna leave you pretty tired for that trip back to Lakeland everyday...be careful.....bring a cooler, LOTS of water, sunscreen, hat, light jacket....we did 4 days last year after doing our usual Fri/Sat and it made for long days...there is a great Mexican place by the lake....Don Jose's....

Get notified of new replies

To Sebring 12 hour

Quick Reply: Sebring 12 hour