Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Brakes and Wheels For C4

Old 02-13-2014, 12:33 PM
TCurtner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Brakes and Wheels For C4

What are best brakes for road racing (unlimited size up to 15" dia rotors) for a 96 vette? What are sources (links/urls please) and brands/part #? Wilwood, Alcon, Brembo, AP, other?

Also, what later OEM wheels fit the 96 without adapters that could be used for racing (need to get to at least 18"s all around)?
Thanks!

Old 02-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear C5 Z06 18" x 10.5"s all around would be my recommendation.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I will not attempt to indicate what I have is the best. Your question will get all kinds of perspectives and opinions. I have 2 C4 road race cars, each with different brakes. Both have their original stock rear brakes. Here is what I have and any applicable comments.

The ’86 has Wilwood 4 piston calipers and stock rotors. This is obviously a significant improvement over the stock brakes. This caliper was selected because at the time it was the only alternative to stock brakes in the racing series I was running. They have been on the car for a number of years. Newer versions will be better than what I have.
I have used several pads and have settled on the Cobalt XR1 pad for front and XR2 for the rear. I highly recommend them, whatever caliper you get.

The ’90 has the Wilwood GN caliper and Coleman rotors. I just recently purchased the car and have had very little seat time in it. However, that little seat time was enough to know that these brakes are even more significantly better than the Wilwoods on the ’86. I do not know the pads on the car now, but I have already received the Cobalt pads to use when the existing pads are gone.

None of my wheels are OEM. They are all 18" CCW aftermarket.

FWIW, my son used AP Racing calipers and Cobalt pads on his ’88 C4 before he stopped racing a few years ago.

Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Brakes and Wheels For C4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racing Brakes and Wheels For C4