Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Pins

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:17 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default Hood Pins

I asked recently in the C6 forum about hood pins and it was suggested I ask here instead (they gave me some info. but I imagine they're right, this is a better place to ask!). So I have the following questions about hood pins (I've never had them before, my previous vehicles were classic muscle/show and not driven aggressively on track):

I'm looking at picking up a new hood from LG, the listed options are either hood pin or OEM hinge style. The problem with the OEM hinge style is it adds $900 to the price which is a bit much so I wanted to get the skinny before I take the plunge.

How many hood pins are required (I've heard four, but only ever seen two)? Where and how are they mounted on a Corvette (since the latch mechanism is towards the driver and not the bumper as in traditional hood styles)? I'm assuming I'd have to completely remove the hood whenever I need to get underneath it, since pins eliminate the hinge mechanisms; am I correct in that thought? Finally, how difficult is it to go back to a stock hood if I should ever choose to do that?

My Corvette is a 2010 3LT GS, with 670hp/565lbs-ft torque (full mods listed under my username). The ultimate purpose will be to have a daily driver that I can take to the track on weekends and have fun with without worrying about any potential issues.

These are the pins I'm looking at possibly getting (opinion or suggestions are welcome):
http://www.andysautosport.com/chevro...r00000005.html

To go with this hood:
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/product...oducts_id=1958

Basically- I'm looking for answers to those questions, and any opinions you guys might have. Is it, in the long run, worth going with the hinged hood or am I better off with the pinned one?

Last edited by DillingerRadio; 02-14-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:39 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Your links don't work, but you can get them from Five Star.
4 pins.
Need to take the whole thing off, which might be an issue if you care about pain on the edges of the hood.
You will probably need to weld bases (or somehow anchor) for the front hood pin mounts, so you would need to remove those to go back to stock.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:46 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Your links don't work, but you can get them from Five Star.
4 pins.
Need to take the whole thing off, which might be an issue if you care about pain on the edges of the hood.
You will probably need to weld bases (or somehow anchor) for the front hood pin mounts, so you would need to remove those to go back to stock.
Crap- sorry about the links, they've been fixed, thanks for the heads up!

OK so four, and welded, fair enough! I think that answers most everything. As for hood paint- I wouldn't be worried about it, the intended hood will be carbon fiber (not painted) and carefully removed/replaced so as not to ding or damage it! Thanks for the info!

Last edited by DillingerRadio; 02-14-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You should get the original AeroCatch pins, the knock offs are not good. http://www.aerocatch.com/ (will need to order from a US reseller)
Old 02-15-2014, 12:51 AM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
You should get the original AeroCatch pins, the knock offs are not good. http://www.aerocatch.com/ (will need to order from a US reseller)
Ahh, fantastic- I'll definitely get the originals then, didn't realize those were knock offs! Thanks for the heads up!

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Pins

Quick Reply: Hood Pins