Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel / Tire Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:46 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel / Tire Help Needed

Howdy everyone,
I sure could use some help deciding on a direction to go with my next tire choice.

I'm currently using some Chinese Z06 replica wheels in my stock C6-base sizes, so 18x8.5" and 19x10" with BF Goodrich KDW tires in 295/35/19 and 255/40/18 sizes (10mm wider in front and rear than stock). These tires are finally about to run out of life from track use (thank God, as I'm not a big fan of the traction / performance), and I need to find a replacement.

I'm using my C6 almost exclusively for track use lately given I have a 5-pt harness and racing seat that makes grabbing groceries really not worth climbing in and out. I drive 40 miles to my closest track, run some sessions, then drive 40 miles home. So, I want to go more aggressive with the next set.

It looks like there are very few tires that fit stock C6 sizes, but wanted some opinions. I can choose on either swapping with 18" wheels all around and using something like a BFG Rival, Hankook R-S3, Bridgestone RE-11, or even Toyo R888 (assuming they fit the 18" wheel I would need).

Question 1: What 18" wheel and tire sizes would I need on the rear?

Or, stick with my stock wheels and go with Kumho Ecsta XS or a Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. This is just with Tire Rack data selecting Extreme Performance Summer.

Question 2: Am I missing any tire choices in stock size that should be on this very short list? I know some Boss 302s that do well with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's and Pirelli P Zero's but don't *believe* they perform as well as I would like.

If there is a recent thread that I've missed that discusses this topic, please smack me down and point me in that direction.

Thanks as always!
Dan

Last edited by DannyBoyC6; 02-18-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added signature.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:57 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

One more question for everyone:

Would an 18"x9.5" wheel like this one cause rubbing inside the wheel well at full turn?

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...95-p-3717.html

Thanks again,
Dan
Old 02-19-2014, 04:15 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Are you planning on putting a bigger brake kit on the car? If so figure that out now so you can plan accordingly on wheel selection. That is one of the harder things to fit on a base car around those brakes.

Budget? What do you want to spend on wheels? Keep in mind if you want a really lightweight, US built forged wheel you are going to pay for it unless you can find them used.

Rubbing at full lock....if this is a track only car, I wouldn't worry about it. your not parallel parking the car, and lets face it; if you are full lock on track rubbing a tire is the least of your worries. I would be looking for traffic or a wall quickly approaching.

I know a lot of guys ran the C5Z06 18x10.5's on the cars and they work well. A bit aggressive and I believe they stick out a bit at the front but they do clear most 14" BBK's on the market.

There is always CCW, ForgeLine, HRE....custom built wheels and they will do darn near what ever you want them to do. ForgeLine is my preference on this myself but we have worked with them on race car wheels for the better part of 16 years.

Tires...you said this is a track car, but will it be trailered to the track or driven on the street to the events? Does it need to work in the rain?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Are you planning on putting a bigger brake kit on the car? If so figure that out now so you can plan accordingly on wheel selection. That is one of the harder things to fit on a base car around those brakes.

Budget? What do you want to spend on wheels? Keep in mind if you want a really lightweight, US built forged wheel you are going to pay for it unless you can find them used.

Rubbing at full lock....if this is a track only car, I wouldn't worry about it. your not parallel parking the car, and lets face it; if you are full lock on track rubbing a tire is the least of your worries. I would be looking for traffic or a wall quickly approaching.

I know a lot of guys ran the C5Z06 18x10.5's on the cars and they work well. A bit aggressive and I believe they stick out a bit at the front but they do clear most 14" BBK's on the market.

There is always CCW, ForgeLine, HRE....custom built wheels and they will do darn near what ever you want them to do. ForgeLine is my preference on this myself but we have worked with them on race car wheels for the better part of 16 years.

Tires...you said this is a track car, but will it be trailered to the track or driven on the street to the events? Does it need to work in the rain?
I don't plan to spend much time in rain and would sacrifice for better dry performance. I will be driving it back and forth to the track plus some occasional street driving. I don't have a dry sump on my LS2 and still have the stock Z51 suspension parts, so I'm not looking at the slicks yet. For a BBK, it may be coming some day if I find a good deal. For now, Carbotech pads on Z51 calipers are adequate.

Wheel size (including width) is really my biggest question right now, and it sure seems like 18" wheels are the way to go to save in the long run with tire costs.

Is there a big benefit to a square setup versus 18x10 in the rear and 18x8.5 in the front? Does that stress the steering pump / column with the wider rubber in front?

Thanks!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I run c5z06 rears 10.5 on all four or 17 x 11 C4 on all four. Nitto Nt01s are great tires. Depending on the track I run either 275 square or 315 square. I've actually run faster with 275 than 315 on shorter tracks and I've run faster on 275 nittos. If you get 17 in wheels 275 nittos are about 900 bucks delivered.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
I run c5z06 rears 10.5 on all four or 17 x 11 C4 on all four. Nitto Nt01s are great tires. Depending on the track I run either 275 square or 315 square. I've actually run faster with 275 than 315 on shorter tracks and I've run faster on 275 nittos. If you get 17 in wheels 275 nittos are about 900 bucks delivered.
Are you in a base 'narrow' body C6? If so, any issues up front having 2" wider wheels than stock?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I was, I sold the c6 when I went to a committed track/racecar. I don't recall any issues issues running 10.5 wheels c5z rears on the front. I don't recall at what size tires on the front of the c6. I think I ran 305 toyo r888s with no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel / Tire Help Needed

Quick Reply: Wheel / Tire Help Needed