Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 harnesses with stock seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Kengsxr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 harnesses with stock seat

Any good setups for using 5 point harnesses with the stock seats for Autocross? Cant modify the seat for SCCA autocross.
2005 C6
Thanks
Old 02-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kengsxr
Any good setups for using 5 point harnesses with the stock seats for Autocross? Cant modify the seat for SCCA autocross.
2005 C6
Thanks
Teamtech Jet pilot works the best since you don't need to go through the bottom of the seat. Add a sharkbar harness bar and lap bar and you're good to go.

That being said, without a good seat it only helps a little. And most would argue you shouldn't do just a piece of the safety solution: Seat/harness/HANS. They should all be done at once.

Last edited by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe; 02-27-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:23 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

2005 C6
Thanks
Well....you might be able to get away with using a harness with "stock seats" for AutoX, but many track day sponsoring organizations require that if a harness is used, the seat must have pass-through holes in the seat for the shoulder harness straps - going around the seatback/headrest is a nono!!

PCA and BMW events, and maybe SCCA nowadays, generally require that a seat must be manufactured with the pass-through holes in it. Modifying a stock seat may not be acceptable. Many track day groups follow PCA, so just check when you register for a track day to make sure you'll meet their tech requirements.

There are several threads about this - take a look at these:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-harness.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-schroth.html

As mentioned in the previous post, a harness is just a part of the overall restraint system. Once you begin modifying the restraints you start down a slippery slope that really requires seat, harness, HANS, and a padded rollbar/cage.

Also, if you will have somebody riding in the passenger seat (instructor/coach/passenger) most organizations have an "equal restraint" rule that requires both seats to have similar restraint systems - if you put a harness in for the driver, there must be one for the other seat as well.

Just FYI!!

Bob
Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you looked at Angel Pads as an alternative to a harness? They're a great option if you want to stay with the stock seat, especially if you use your car for more than just autocrossing.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I have a stock 05/06 Seat that has the harness pass throughs in it I got from another member here if you would be interested. I'm never going to use it...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Kengsxr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
I have a stock 05/06 Seat that has the harness pass throughs in it I got from another member here if you would be interested. I'm never going to use it...
I might be, I am in alaska so Shipping might kill me
Old 03-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Have you tried to use seat belt cinch mode? Using cinch mode you can get the lap and shoulder belt tight enough to plant your butt down in the seat and keep your upper body from moving forward/backward. The upper body will still slide side to side and your knees will move back and forth in the opposite direction but your butt will not slide around. Just run the seat all the way back, get in the car, pull the belt all the way out until it stops and then let it ratchet back in to the take up reel as you latch it. Then pull the belt as tight as possible while feeding the slack into the take up reel. Once you get tight as possible then move the seat forwrd to your driving position. If the belt is fastened properly the lap belt will feel like it cutting you in half and the shoulder belt will be tight across your chest and limiting your breathing.

Bill
Old 03-03-2014, 01:55 AM
Kengsxr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Have you tried to use seat belt cinch mode? Using cinch mode you can get the lap and shoulder belt tight enough to plant your butt down in the seat and keep your upper body from moving forward/backward. The upper body will still slide side to side and your knees will move back and forth in the opposite direction but your butt will not slide around. Just run the seat all the way back, get in the car, pull the belt all the way out until it stops and then let it ratchet back in to the take up reel as you latch it. Then pull the belt as tight as possible while feeding the slack into the take up reel. Once you get tight as possible then move the seat forwrd to your driving position. If the belt is fastened properly the lap belt will feel like it cutting you in half and the shoulder belt will be tight across your chest and limiting your breathing.

Bill
Bill, I use that system now, I am an experienced roadracer, moving into autocross, I feel more comfortable with a full harness, but SCCA rules prevent modification of seats, they have to be manufactured with belt slots and the anti sub slot in the seat bottom, I was hoping that someone on here had some "secret setup" that worked inside the rules without spending 4k on a seat, bar, harness, mounts...
I may just live with the chich mode until I decide to move to time attack/track days and go full cage, seat, etc.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Probably So...

I'd like $250 for the seat, but shipping is on you...
Old 03-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Kengsxr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
Can you send me Pics, and maybe a guess of weight and zip code where it would be coming from?
Thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 09:32 AM
928nomore
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you send me Pics, and maybe a guess of weight and zip code where it would be coming from?
Thanks
I have gone thru the stock seats, I hated to lose the side air bags and use a Hans device and harness bar. also have come thru the seat bottom for the 5 point, the system works pretty well to hold me in the seat, bought the collars from safer racer $15. I run multiple PCA groups have never had an issue. I suppose if they wanted to they could make me use the 3 pt belts that are still in the car for everyday use. I had a roll bar set up on my o8 c6 and felt a little safer.
Attached Images     
Old 03-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by 928nomore
I have gone thru the stock seats, I hated to lose the side air bags and use a Hans device and harness bar. also have come thru the seat bottom for the 5 point, the system works pretty well to hold me in the seat, bought the collars from safer racer $15. I run multiple PCA groups have never had an issue. I suppose if they wanted to they could make me use the 3 pt belts that are still in the car for everyday use. I had a roll bar set up on my o8 c6 and felt a little safer.
How did you handle passing the sub belt through the seat spring and other seat hardware below the seat cushion? Did you weld a sub belt mounting bar between the seat tracks?

Bill
Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 PM
928nomore
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How did you handle passing the sub belt through the seat spring and other seat hardware below the seat cushion? Did you weld a sub belt mounting bar between the seat tracks?

Bill
I forget where i got them but somewhere i was able to buy a mounting bracket that was made for the c6 and c6z seats that just fit . you just need to be careful cutting seat for sub not to cut seat heater, springs not an issue.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Feeling safer could be good

Originally Posted by 928nomore
Passengers & non track driving wives appreciate the extra safety
Got suggestions of sources for a C6 roll bar?
How did yours fit? (getting off from the original subject here but my wife would appreciate your response)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:14 AM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

If you don't want to modify or replace the seat, you can get what are called "dick straps". I didn't name them. they go around your headrest, and are made of seatbelt webbing materials and have two loops, one on each side, that the harness shoulder belt goes through. They keep the shoulder belt up above your shoulder where they need to be. Used to have a set for both seats, but gave them to a buddy when I went to a racing seat. Still need a harness bar though. Jerry
Old 03-08-2014, 01:37 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by jstout
If you don't want to modify or replace the seat, you can get what are called "dick straps". I didn't name them. Jerry
Can you link some? I'm scared to google.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:55 AM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Let me do a little digging, and see if I can provide a source for you. Jerry

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Can you link some? I'm scared to google.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Teamtech Jet pilot works the best since you don't need to go through the bottom of the seat. Add a sharkbar harness bar and lap bar and you're good to go.
Here is a picture of the TeamTech JetPilot harness:

They work very well, and keep you solidly located in your seat.
-

Get notified of new replies

To C6 harnesses with stock seat

Quick Reply: C6 harnesses with stock seat