Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969-70 LT1 370HP Engine?! HELP!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:00 AM
iMechanic
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969-70 LT1 370HP Engine?! HELP!

Hey everyone.. I'm new to this forum and am a corvette lover, but I don't yet have much experience with these cars though I'm hoping to change that.. Anyway, my intention was to join and learn from the community, but now unfortunately due to financial issues I'm going to have to let go of my fantasy build for now and sell what was going to be the heart of my muscle car..

The short story is a brand new GM engine in the crate was handed down to me in the family from someone who used to race them before I was born. Since I am the only car nut left in the family, it fell into my hands. For the last 10 years I have been trying to figure out what it is but all I could find was that it was a 350.. not much more. Now, thanks to the internet that's changed slightly, and I'm hoping to narrow it down so I can get what its actually worth and help it find a good home! I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on this for me and help me put a price on it before I finally list it for sale. So between online searching and friends input, this is what I have so far and please correct me if I'm wrong about anything here..

According to my mechanic friend this could be what is referred to as a “Counter Exchange” or “Warranty Block” or more commonly called a “CE” block? the number on the crate was missing a 6 in the middle because of the strap used to hold the crate closed.. found that out after 5 years of nothing matching the number haha. The actual number is 3966921, which apparently was essentially an over the counter "short block" or "partial" 1969 LT1 engine..

He told me this block is the complete lower end and could be the correct LT1 warranty replacement for a 1970 350 4 Bolt Main for a 1970 Camaro or Corvette. It is 11:1 Compression Ratio. All of the parts seem to be correct for the 370 HP LT1. This motor is dated “H” (I don't know how to read these date codes or if I'm even reading the right numbers). He told me it would be a correct replacement motor for any 1970 dated LT1 car.

Specs I have are:

Suffix (on front pad where VIN usually is?): CEB1330
Casting: 25 GM 3970010
Date: H 38 0
Pistons: 3959456 11:1
Crank: forged steel crank (Cant find part number yet)
Cam: 3972182 or 3972178 (cant see the cam number)
Main Caps: 3861 GM 348
LT1 "pink" rods, forged steel, shot peened, high RPM rod bolts

Now that I KIND of know what this engine actually is I'm sort of excited and don't want to give it up, but does anyone know what its actually worth? It needs a good cleaning from sitting in my families garage for 45 years haha but its BRAND new! I was told by someone that these original forged GM crankshafts are VERY hard to come by and might be worth several thousand by itself.. Anyway, please check out the pics and any new info greatly appreciated! thanks!
Attached Images       
Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 AM
iMechanic
Cruising

Default More Pics!

Here is the rest..
Attached Images       
Old 02-26-2014, 05:57 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Obviously, it would be worth the most to someone who has a 1970 LT1 car who currently has a NOM motor, and who also wants to restore and show his "correct" car.

My opinion is that you need to advertise this sooner rather than later as the number of people that care about "correct" are dying off. More and more C2 and C3 Vette's are being converted to restorods with LS motors and such.

Anyone in their right mind is gonna disassemble this 44 year old short block and check it.

I would put it up for best offer (with a pretty high reserve) on some of the restoration journals and or auctions. You only need two guys that really have to have this type.

Most vintage racer's would not be interested as they are building motor's far beyond a "pink" rodded LT-1.

Last edited by bosco022; 02-26-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Is the engine painted blue? If so, wouldn't that indicate post 1977 build date?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
iMechanic
Cruising

Good idea.. I figured this was a good place to start and once I got confirmation and some more info then I would list it for sale but I do need to do it soon..

Anyone have any input as to the stamped numbers in the pad up front? The "CEB1330"? Has anyone ever seen this before because I have stil not been able to find that exact code online or from anyone else.. Funny thing too, one of the two "3's" in "1330" is a completely different type of font. Almost didn't look like a 3 at first but it definitely is, I'll get a pic of thatas well tonight.

And yes there are a few blue dots around it I think, that significant?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM
iMechanic
Cruising

Blue dots only mainly on the crankshaft..
Old 02-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Post this in the C3 section and you should get a lot more responses. Maybe even an offer or two.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
iMechanic
Cruising

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Post this in the C3 section and you should get a lot more responses. Maybe even an offer or two.
I realized later and I did but the pictures are all in this link so I shared it there.. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 1969-70 LT1 370HP Engine?! HELP!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1969-70 LT1 370HP Engine?! HELP!