Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how close does a tune have to be to not worry?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:34 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default how close does a tune have to be to not worry?

Tpi 350 - Im full throttle tuning my holley commander and i think its all coming together finally. I've got the wot to have a/f of 12.8-13.3 through my power band. I've got 14.7 at cruise but I know there are some less used portions of the table i haven't gotten to yet.

Can I drive the crap out of it at the track now and just keep datalogging and making adjustments or should I spend hours still fine tuning? Last thing I want to do is damage something, but my thought is the stock ecu compensated for runner/manifold upgrade and few other things, this has to be closer than the stock tune was to my setup.

Im more concerned about not having a knock sensor and holley said I really can't run one with my set up easily. I still dont know what a know feels like or sounds like. Is it like a miss? The car feels powerful and smooth right now, half throttle skips every so often at lower rpms.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Tpi 350 - Im full throttle tuning my holley commander and i think its all coming together finally. I've got the wot to have a/f of 12.8-13.3 through my power band. I've got 14.7 at cruise but I know there are some less used portions of the table i haven't gotten to yet.

Can I drive the crap out of it at the track now and just keep datalogging and making adjustments or should I spend hours still fine tuning? Last thing I want to do is damage something, but my thought is the stock ecu compensated for runner/manifold upgrade and few other things, this has to be closer than the stock tune was to my setup.

Im more concerned about not having a knock sensor and holley said I really can't run one with my set up easily. I still dont know what a know feels like or sounds like. Is it like a miss? The car feels powerful and smooth right now, half throttle skips every so often at lower rpms.

Any advice would be appreciated.
A knock sounds like someone with a ball peen hammer is hitting the block and you can hear it through all the other sounds. To me anyway.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

13.3 seems a little lean. I usually shoot for 12.5 throughout the power band for road racing.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:39 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
13.3 seems a little lean. I usually shoot for 12.5 throughout the power band for road racing.
This guy knows his poop ^^^^^^^^

Do you have a knock sensor on the car? Can you log it?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

By the time you hear a knock, sometimes it's too late.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

I have a knock sensor but its not compatible with the holley commander and when I called holley he said finding the perfect frequency for every engine is next to impossible unless someone already knows it. Changing rocker arms can even throw it off. He said not many people use one especially since I will be moving to my 383 shortly.

12.5 seems really rich and 13 seems to be everything I've read. Im pushing it pretty hard at the track but do occasionally drive on the street. Would I want to have another separate tune aimed at 13 for the street and one aimed at 12.5 for the track?

Should I be doing my pulls in 4th gear? Its pretty dangerous even though I am on a back road with no traffic and no houses. Or could I get an accurate log in 3rd 1200-5000 pulls?

And should I lean out the mix outside of the power band like around 4500 bring up to 13 since

Last edited by rithsleeper; 03-03-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a knock sensor but its not compatible with the holley commander and when I called holley he said finding the perfect frequency for every engine is next to impossible unless someone already knows it. Changing rocker arms can even throw it off. He said not many people use one especially since I will be moving to my 383 shortly.

12.5 seems really rich and 13 seems to be everything I've read. Im pushing it pretty hard at the track but do occasionally drive on the street. Would I want to have another separate tune aimed at 13 for the street and one aimed at 12.5 for the track?

Should I be doing my pulls in 4th gear? Its pretty dangerous even though I am on a back road with no traffic and no houses. Or could I get an accurate log in 3rd 1200-5000 pulls?

And should I lean out the mix outside of the power band like around 4500 bring up to 13 since
I've run every car I've had on a track at 12.5, including an LS2 CTS-V. It works perfectly fine, even on the street. The tuner I used goes with 13:1 on street only cars. A little rich adds a ton of safety, especially since fuels at the pump have some variance with them. Dynos typically use 4th gear to slow down the acceleration of the revs of the engine to get more accurate results. If you did 1st gear pulls, the engine will rev to fast for the computer to calculate all the readings.

As long as it isn't crazy fast revving using 3rd gear, I don't see a problem with it.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

On my LS6 there is 5rwhp difference between 12.6 and 13.2, I will give up those 5rwhp all day every day for the engine to stay happy on track.

I have one of these if you are interested, never used it. You can adjust its sensitivity.

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

This is the one I have, I also bought the gauge for it.

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/NewUni...alVersion.html

Gauge
http://www.jandssafeguard.com/monitors.html
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

I take it the higher fuel ratio of 12.5 is negligable with power loss compared to a leaner mixture? What does your timing curve look like? At full throttle I have 25° @ 1500, 31 @ 1700, 32 @ 2000, 33 @ 2500, 36@ 3000 and 36 till 5000. does that seem about right or tame enough to be safe? Its basically a stock tpi l98 with larger runners and bigger manifold and aluminum heads.

Wow just saw your response while i was writing this. I would be interested in the controller. However ive spent a ton of money on this hardware and my new engine im almost done with. Then again more peace of mind is hard to turn down. How much do you want for the unit and display?

Last edited by rithsleeper; 03-03-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

I take it the higher fuel ratio of 12.5 is negligable with power loss compared to a leaner mixture? What does your timing curve look like? At full throttle I have 25° @ 1500, 31 @ 1700, 32 @ 2000, 33 @ 2500, 36@ 3000 and 36 till 5000. does that seem about right or tame enough to be safe? Its basically a stock tpi l98 with larger runners and bigger manifold and aluminum heads.

Wow just saw your response while i was writing this. I would be interested in the controller. However ive spent a ton of money on this hardware and my new engine im almost done with. Then again more peace of mind is hard to turn down. How much do you want for the unit and display?
You have a PM

Get notified of new replies

To how close does a tune have to be to not worry?

Quick Reply: how close does a tune have to be to not worry?