Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electronic water pump for autox and hpde days. what are the benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:58 AM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default electronic water pump for autox and hpde days. what are the benefits?

Just looking into upgrades for my 99 C5. Have headers on the way. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 AM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never mind! Ended up Googling it and found the results I was looking for.

Is it worth it though!?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

None... they flow less overall as they're a fixed rate pump. A proper mechanical pump will vary with RPM, but flow more at high rpms.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
None...
Whether it is "worth it" or not is debatable, but saying there are NO benefits is simply not true. With an electric pump you can switch it on along with the fans and actually cool without the car running. Depending on what yo uare doing with it, that alone could be a big benefit.

Even in almost 100 degree ambient, the Meziere HD pump in my ~500hp LT4 had no problems. A pump like that would have no problem whatsoever with a '99 LS1.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 03-10-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:48 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Personally I like the mechanical pumps for a road race car better than the electric. The new electric pumps do work quite well and we have not really seen any failure issues but it is a fixed flow pump and generally a stock pump works just fine. All of the race cars have had mechanical pumps on them. For us it was the extra load on the electrical system and the risk of electrical failure. We have had batteries start to go, and even alternators start to go during a race and have been fine by shutting down all non needed systems, that is a big draw and you could not turn the pump off during the race.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

The BEST cooling system improvement I have seen was the Evans Racing Water Pump. These guys are awesome. My LS3 stroker motor was running hot regardless of what I did. I have the Ron Davis radiator, a splitter and heat extractor set up that flowed a ridiculous amount of air and I still ran way hot (as in 250-260 in race conditions). After spending a lot of time with me and discussing my needs they built me a pump and my temps are now too cool! On a 60 degree day at the Glen I was running 155 degrees in race conditions and 170 in caution laps. I actually need to reduce the openings in my grill. Talk to the guys at Evans. You will NOT regret your decision.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:17 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
The BEST cooling system improvement I have seen was the Evans Racing Water Pump. These guys are awesome. My LS3 stroker motor was running hot regardless of what I did. I have the Ron Davis radiator, a splitter and heat extractor set up that flowed a ridiculous amount of air and I still ran way hot (as in 250-260 in race conditions). After spending a lot of time with me and discussing my needs they built me a pump and my temps are now too cool! On a 60 degree day at the Glen I was running 155 degrees in race conditions and 170 in caution laps. I actually need to reduce the openings in my grill. Talk to the guys at Evans. You will NOT regret your decision.
Are you referring to a full evans cooling system with their coolant? Doesn't that require an entirely new setup? Also, is their coolant allowed by NASA/SCCA i.e. is it slick if it's dumped on track?

Running coolant that hot would make me think something is up with the motor. Even running the stock radiator in my C5 race car I've never seen coolant get up over 235 and that's in 110 ambient racing on someone's bumper. Normally the car would stay under 220 water temp.

Last edited by travisnd; 03-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:19 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

None... they flow less overall as they're a fixed rate pump. A proper mechanical pump will vary with RPM, but flow more at high rpms.

ALMOST none.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Their pump works fine with plain water. I replaced my LS-6 due to overheating thinking just what you said but when the new motor started running hot also, I went crazy. Changed the radiator twice, even replaced the water pump but with a stock unit. That's the weak link. My engine builder told me the newer ones ( 2004 and up) don't flow as well. At that point I just went with the Evans and I was blown away. They recommend eliminating the t-stat and modify the heater block offs to accommodate. It's a great piece.

Are you referring to a full evans cooling system with their coolant? Doesn't that require an entirely new setup? Also, is their coolant allowed by NASA/SCCA i.e. is it slick if it's dumped on track?

Running coolant that hot would make me think something is up with the motor. Even running the stock radiator in my C5 race car I've never seen coolant get up over 235 and that's in 110 ambient racing on someone's bumper. Normally the car would stay under 220 water temp.

Get notified of new replies

To electronic water pump for autox and hpde days. what are the benefits?

Quick Reply: electronic water pump for autox and hpde days. what are the benefits?