Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DrProper role of throttle induced oversteer in C5/C6's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:27 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default DrProper role of throttle induced oversteer in C5/C6's?

Hi,

I had read an interesting discussion here a few months ago in regards to car control for the C4. It was mentioned that for the C4, understeer tendency was extreme, and that one had to work the throttle just in the "sweet spot" to get it to handle more neutrally. It was said to be easy to give it too much throttle resulting in snap oversteer. The C5 was compared as much more controllable.

My question is this: If the C5 is more controllable in oversteer, how(under what circumstances) are you advanced expert drivers using oversteer to reduce lap time in a normal HPDE situation (a good lap but one that is repeatable several times/session)? Do you use it mostly in slower corners to get small slip angles so the tires are at max grip? My impression from reading & driving is that there is a lot of time to be lost if you were to start fish tailing in every corner. I would guess the oversteer would be more of a weight transfer and not much slippage by the rear tires on a regular basis.

Anyway, I thought this would be an interesting discussion.

Andy

Quick Reply: DrProper role of throttle induced oversteer in C5/C6's?