Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Dixie Tour Street tire drivers please check in

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:15 AM
gunluvS14
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2014 Dixie Tour Street tire drivers please check in

How is going guys?

Let me apologize in advance, we didn't introduce ourself in person this past weekend when we walked by you in the paddock area. My brother and I codrive the blue 02 C5z and ran in A-street.

I noticed we have total of five C5 drivers who ran in this new street class. I want to hear your opinion on your thought of the classing and realisticly how well can our plaform place in street tire class.

I don't exactly looking for setup tips but i would like to learn from you guys so at least I know which direction I should be heading.

I've been autocrossing for years in much smaller cars rolling on R-comp.
I just bought this C5z back in 2013 October and this is my 3rd event rolling on the BFG Rival.

I think the grip level is mangeable and not quite "undriverable" like some folk shared. Of course, the car is MUCH slower compare to those SSR C5/C6. One main thing we suffered this weekend was grip. Especially front end grip and turn in response. It appears our wide car didn't do too well in those transistion elements. what's your thought?

I notied all B-street Corvette drivers use the Dunlop Z2, how are they?
What kind of shocks and front bar you guys recommended? Whatever works on your FRC should work on the C5z too right?

nice to meet you guys (a day late)

Philip
Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have been watching with interest myself.

You can look at the results and try to draw some conclusions. Some of this is dictated by size availability or lack of. I noticed no one in A Street ran the Dunlops. The first and second place in B Street did not have their tire choice listed but Dunlops took 2nd through 6th. C Street was Dunlop, Toyo, Yoko in the top 3 but the dunlop car won by 1.3 seconds.

I think it looks like the heavier cars do well on Dunlops if they have your size which isn't the case on your Corvette.

http://sololive.scca.com/
Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Have been watching with interest myself.

You can look at the results and try to draw some conclusions. Some of this is dictated by size availability or lack of. I noticed no one in A Street ran the Dunlops. The first and second place in B Street did not have their tire choice listed but Dunlops took 2nd through 6th. C Street was Dunlop, Toyo, Yoko in the top 3 but the dunlop car won by 1.3 seconds.

I think it looks like the heavier cars do well on Dunlops if they have your size which isn't the case on your Corvette.

http://sololive.scca.com/
The car that placed one-two in BS at Dixie was on Federals.

Dunlops are good on Corvettes. I've driven a C5 with them quite a bit and like them. I'll be running Hankooks on my BS car is a couple weeks. They also seem to be decent on heavier cars. I've never tried them before so we'll see how it turns out. Both the Dunlops and Hankooks have sizes that will work for you. You shouldn't be cramming street tires on small rims the way you would with the Hoosiers anyway. For reference, on 8.5/9.5 inch wide rims, I'm running 255/275.

As for the parts you asked about, lots of people run the Koni 3013s. I had those for a while and switched to MCS's for more tuning ability. I like them both. I run a 33 mm hollow Strano Parts front bar. We'll see if that sticks with the street tires. My guess is I might need a 31 or 32 mm hollow, but having never driven on the Hankooks, I could be wrong. I'm not sure what bar is used on the C5Z's.

There are a bunch of guys that run SSR on the forum that can probably help with bar choices. I've seen people run anywhere from stock all the way up to a T1. Strano would also be able to help you out, he has given me a bunch of good advice on parts.

A bigger bar will help the turn in response you mention you are worried about. Lack of front end grip might be an alignment issue too; maybe try more or less camber depending on where you are at.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltborg
The car that placed one-two in BS at Dixie was on Federals.
Do you know what model? Was it the 595 EVO or ???
Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Do you know what model? Was it the 595 EVO or ???
Federal 595 RS-R.

This is an interesting read about the tires. It's a couple years old and I don't know anything about the people giving the feedback, but there is a lot of information to consider.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gunluvs14

i notied all b-street corvette drivers use the dunlop z2, how are they?

Philip
Hi Philip,

I was there in the Black C4 running SSM. I was in a gun fight with a knife.

The #96 C5 in BS is a friend of mine. According to him, the dunlops are actually wider than all the other tires in the same published size.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 AM
gunluvS14
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hello,
yes I recognized you, I saw you pre-grid when Heat 3 was going on.
yes sir i noticed Dunlop ZII's 275/35R18 has publish thread width of 10.4", vs. BFG Rival's 10.2".

From what I've learned in this event, I think i need to take advantage of the +/- 1" diameter rule in street class and run 18" front. That will widen my tire selection.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:18 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by gunluvS14
hello,
yes I recognized you, I saw you pre-grid when Heat 3 was going on.
yes sir i noticed Dunlop ZII's 275/35R18 has publish thread width of 10.4", vs. BFG Rival's 10.2".

From what I've learned in this event, I think i need to take advantage of the +/- 1" diameter rule in street class and run 18" front. That will widen my tire selection.
That is exactly what I am doing with my BS car.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Dixie Tour Street tire drivers please check in

Quick Reply: 2014 Dixie Tour Street tire drivers please check in