Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rake for autox

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Rake for autox

I have been thinking about lowering my rear to set zero rake (is 1/4 inch now).

This is by measure at the 4 jacking pad points. Front is all the way down on stock adjusters. Handles on rails, just looking for all I can get in handling.

Anyone who AUTOX's ever play around with this?

Worth it or waste of time?

Not for track.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I have been thinking about lowering my rear to set zero rake (is 1/4 inch now).

This is by measure at the 4 jacking pad points. Front is all the way down on stock adjusters. Handles on rails, just looking for all I can get in handling.

Anyone who AUTOX's ever play around with this?

Worth it or waste of time?

Not for track.

I had some rake with the front a bit too low and the back at about the right height, and the car had really good forward bite. When I dropped it in the back to a level attitude, it lost a lot of forward bite coming off of corners. I raised it back up and the bite came back. I realize that it may just be total CG height that is driving this, or it could have something to do with the geometry, but I didn't help to lower it to flat.

Just my experience
Old 03-18-2014, 12:10 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Thank you.

Was it about what I have or more that you lowered the back?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I started with the front lowered to the max on stock bolts, and had about 3 to 5 threads in the back, 3 on one side and 5 on the other. I lowered it to 0 and 2 in the back and lost the bite, and put it back up to where it was. Since then I've added about 2 turns in the front from lowered all the way and that seems to be a "good place"
Old 03-19-2014, 12:34 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solofast
I started with the front lowered to the max on stock bolts, and had about 3 to 5 threads in the back, 3 on one side and 5 on the other. I lowered it to 0 and 2 in the back and lost the bite, and put it back up to where it was. Since then I've added about 2 turns in the front from lowered all the way and that seems to be a "good place"
That's pretty similar to me as well. My new shocks allow more wheel travel, but I haven't been able to test yet if it is a geometry thing or if it's just a matter of keeping the suspension off the bump stops.

Get notified of new replies

To Rake for autox

Quick Reply: Rake for autox