Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE 1 2 day vs 1 day

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:57 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Default HPDE 1 2 day vs 1 day

I'm planning to do NASA HDPE 1 at nola motorsports park next month and wanted to see what kind of difference there is (other than more seat time) for the 1 day vs 2 day hpde 1 class.

In all honesty I'll probably end up booking the 2 day class, but I wanted to see what would be missing out on if I didn't.

If it matters I'll be going in a stock base m6 c6 with z06 front spring, z06 shocks and pfadt light sways with stock tires and most likely stock brakes.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:43 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer doing 2 day events. All that prep might as well make the most of it. And, if you've never been on that track before, you will find you are just starting to get the flow of the track, then time to pack it up. 2nd day you come out comfortable with the track, well rested, and really pick up the pace.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:13 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I run Nola often and might be there on the 12th instructing and running my car.

Buy some good front brake pads, you will need them if you have ANY ability at all. That 3300 foot front straight allows a car like yours to build a head of steam.

I never do 1 day events, waste in my opinion. Day 2 is when you really start learning.

Here is a vid of me at NOLA back in Jan. Your lines will be the same, watch the vid and make notes.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 03-21-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:48 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll buy some track pads for the front (suggestions?) and install an oil cooler before the event.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I registered for the 2 day session!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SEVINN
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll buy some track pads for the front (suggestions?) and install an oil cooler before the event.
IMO you dont need an oil cooler(yet), I run my car hard and it has never had one. I do change the oil every 2 events.

On Pads call Tim at Porterfield brakes.

I would suggest Carbotech XP10 or XP8 for the front.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
IMO you dont need an oil cooler(yet), I run my car hard and it has never had one. I do change the oil every 2 events.

On Pads call Tim at Porterfield brakes.

I would suggest Carbotech XP10 or XP8 for the front.
I already have a z06 kit on the way so I think I'll throw it on. Could you PM me the info for porterfield? I checked their site and don't see any carbotech products so I just want to make sure I get the right store (also if you want me to reference you when I contact them let me know what to say ).
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

I already have a z06 kit on the way so I think I'll throw it on. Could you PM me the info for porterfield? I checked their site and don't see any carbotech products so I just want to make sure I get the right store (also if you want me to reference you when I contact them let me know what to say ).
They dont sell Carbotech, but they sell everything else lol.

Give Tim a call, he will get you lined out and yes tell him David D told you to call him.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:07 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I'm planning to do NASA HDPE 1 at nola motorsports park next month and wanted to see what kind of difference there is (other than more seat time) for the 1 day vs 2 day hpde 1 class.

In all honesty I'll probably end up booking the 2 day class, but I wanted to see what would be missing out on if I didn't.

If it matters I'll be going in a stock base m6 c6 with z06 front spring, z06 shocks and pfadt light sways with stock tires and most likely stock brakes.

Thanks!
I replied to your other post Carbotech XP10 and XP8 combo will do the job.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
I replied to your other post Carbotech XP10 and XP8 combo will do the job.
Thanks! I'll get them.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Another junkie in the making right here.

Better titanium coat the Visa/Mastercard for heat protection lol.

A few notes on NOLA.

Watch my vid and notice where all the skid marks are that go off track, these are the places that bite most people....this works on any track. When I first go to a track I take the first session at about 7/10's and make mental notes of those areas.

Turn 13 is sneaky, it will bite. Turns 3 and 4 are hard to learn as their shape is goofy.

Google you a track map and watch the vid or any vid of NOLA on Youtube.

May see you there, cant make up my mind to go to NOLA or Barber that weekend.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:53 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Wow thanks for all the good tips. I feel like I'll be pretty familiar with the track by the time I get there.

Also you aren't kidding about the credit card...this stuff all adds up for sure.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I prefer doing 2 day events. All that prep might as well make the most of it. And, if you've never been on that track before, you will find you are just starting to get the flow of the track, then time to pack it up. 2nd day you come out comfortable with the track, well rested, and really pick up the pace.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:42 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Old 03-28-2014, 03:06 PM
giantkeeper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two days is definitely best. The track I go to is 50 miles one way and I drive home and back each day. It's quite an exhausting weekend.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:51 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I went this weekend and had a blast. I do think I saw your Camaro FASTFATBOY but I wasn't sure. My times weren't quite up to part with what the car can do, but I was definitely limited by my stock runflats. Things got interesting once I started pushing a little harder. I did have a "spin" in turn 3 on my second day in the second session because I over drove the tires a bit.

I do have some video from Harry's Lap Timer that I can upload, but I've only overlaid one for now. My phone mount (RAM Mount) was bouncing around a good bit and my phone has a built in image stabilizer that I couldn't disable so the video is borderline unwatchable but this is the only video I have ready for now. My fastest lap of the weekend was the last lap in this video and I almost lost it twice so I think I have a good bit of time left in me especially if I get some tires and maybe I'll figure out turn 4 eventually.

Overall I was very happy with my first track sessions ever and look forward to more. My instructor offered to sign me out to 2, but I will be signing up for 1 again at least one more time. I have a few bad habits to kick and I liked the instructor time.

Thanks for all of your tips before; they were really helpful and I'm glad I signed up for 2 days for sure.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:52 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

I went this weekend and had a blast. I do think I saw your Camaro FASTFATBOY but I wasn't sure. My times weren't quite up to part with what the car can do, but I was definitely limited by my stock runflats. Things got interesting once I started pushing a little harder. I did have a "spin" in turn 3 on my second day in the second session because I over drove the tires a bit.

I do have some video from Harry's Lap Timer that I can upload, but I've only overlaid one for now. My phone mount (RAM Mount) was bouncing around a good bit and my phone has a built in image stabilizer that I couldn't disable so the video is borderline unwatchable but this is the only video I have ready for now. My fastest lap of the weekend was the last lap in this video and I almost lost it twice so I think I have a good bit of time left in me especially if I get some tires and maybe I'll figure out turn 4 eventually.

Overall I was very happy with my first track sessions ever and look forward to more. My instructor offered to sign me out to 2, but I will be signing up for 1 again at least one more time. I have a few bad habits to kick and I liked the instructor time.

Thanks for all of your tips before; they were really helpful and I'm glad I signed up for 2 days for sure.

Was your car red?

I had a blast and a new best of 2:00.9

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE 1 2 day vs 1 day

Old 04-14-2014, 02:03 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Your lines need tweaking. When I get home I will let you know where.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Your lines need tweaking. When I get home I will let you know where.
Yep that was my red car.

I was having some trouble in that session putting the car exactly where I wanted it because of my tires as well. I would love any advice you can give me too. My instructor told me that he wasn't all that familiar with higher HP cars so the line he showed me may have been less than ideal. I got a 2:07 and I was pretty happy with it but I know I can go faster.

Thank you!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Your turn in into turn 1 is too early, turn in a little bit later. Same for turn 2, stay out for turn 2 entry a tad longer.

Too late at turn 3, you have to turn in here AT the cone and hard, your left front tire should touch the inside rumble strip at the apex cone. You have to slow down a good bit to get the car turned in here, then get the gas on early.

Way too early into 4 stay out past the cone 3/4 of a car length and turn in.

Too early in 5, see how far you are out on track out? You are turning the wheel the whole time to stay off the rumble strips.

Too early into 6, either turn in at the cone or a tad later.

Turn 7 is good

Turn 8 is ok, a tad too early...you can fudge some here depending on where you want to enter 9.

On turn 9 you want your left front tire to touch where the rumble strip ends, you can see the pothole where it has been happening.

Turn 10, waaaay too early, hold 9 longer and then turn into 10.

Turn 11 is jumbled because of the entry into 10. When you get it right you can be on the floor in 4th gear as soon as the car is rotated for 10 and drive straight through there.

Turn 13 is good.

Turn 14, tap the brake and bleed some speed to stop the car from pushing so bad.

Turn 15, get up tighter on 14. When you turn in you want to chop the pit in blend line end off with your left front tire then go to the apex cone.

Turn 16, way too early. Go past the cone, I turn in when my left rear tire is even with the cone.

Here I am on Sunday, I have new brakes on the car and am trying to learn them. But you can see where my line is a lot different.

If you will turn in a little later where I noted it will take a lot of the push out of the car. Slow down a hair more, turn in a little later, rotate the car and get the gas cracked open...when you feel it hunker down squeeze the throttle on.

Be careful, when you start getting this right the car will be going a lot quicker into braking zones...be aware.

Never mind the quick hands drill at 16:25, I lost the battle.

Here is a track map for reference.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 04-14-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: HPDE 1 2 day vs 1 day