Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Square tire set up vs staggered

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:24 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Square tire set up vs staggered

I am prepping my newly acquired 1993 C4 for HPDE tracking. Being a newbie, I will take the advice of experienced track drivers, and initially run on street tires; then as my skills grow, I will move up to stickier tires.

So for now, I am running a square 275/40 x 17 set up, on 9.5 saw blades. In preparation for eventually running separate track tires, I have two extra sets of wheels. One set is another set of 9.5 x 17 saw blades; the other is a staggered set of 9.5 and 11 x 17 A molds.

I expect to run primarily on either the PIR track in Pittsburgh, and at Summit Point. I may occasionally visit VIR.

So the question is this:for the track should I run a square set up, or staggered?

obviously a staggered set up denies tire rotation. So over the course of two tire sets, and assuming fronts wear at twice the rate of rears, I will replace two fronts at the end of cycle 1, then all 4 tires at the end of cycle 2. Total 6 tires over 2 cycles. A cycle being whatever time it takes for the fronts to wear their corners to an unacceptable degree.

But if I run square, I will only rotate front to rear, and not have to buy tires at the end of cycle 1. Then at the end of cycle 2, I will replace all 4 tires. Total 4 tires over 2 cycles.

Is that the conventional wisdom? Or is the assumption of less rear wear incorrect?

Two more questions:

Is there a performance advantage to running larger rears?

Does anyone running a staggered set up rotate side to side for extended life on fronts? Or is that ill advised ( as discouraged for regular street tires).

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Run a square setup. Get two more 11x17 A Molds and run 314/35/17 tires front and rear. If I remember correctly there were a number of people who ran that setup while C4s were still popular on the track. To find out try your rear A Molds on the front. One thing to check is to see how the clear the lower control arm. When I ran that setup on my C5s I had issues with turning the wheels too far in the garage and paddock and the rim would rub against the control arm and strip the wheel weights off the rim. Since your car is a 93 you will need to get the GS Offset A Molds. The ZR1 offset will make the rims stick out too far and may not work well on the front.

Bill
Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Square setups allow for much longer tire life, you can rotate and flip tires on the rims.

Saves mucho dinero.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running NT01's on my car, staggered A-molds. I couldn't be happier with this setup. The front doesn't push at all and tires are wearing pretty evenly.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

315/35/17 all around here

used to run R888 but they runout quick..
so went with NT05s to stay within SCCA rules of 200 thread wear.. for auto X
wheels are
17x10 F 17x11R ccw classic race ver.

Last edited by rkdc5z06; 06-17-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

So, posters 4 and 5, are you rotating? If so, how?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I run 305 square on 18x10.5 Z06 rear wheels on a C5. Yes, rotate every event by putting the best tire on the left front, second best on right front, and the most worn on the rears. Every couple of events, flip the tire on the wheel to put the worn edge on the inside. (Assuming that your tread pattern allows for running them in both directions of course.)
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I run 305 square on 18x10.5 Z06 rear wheels on a C5. Yes, rotate every event by putting the best tire on the left front, second best on right front, and the most worn on the rears. Every couple of events, flip the tire on the wheel to put the worn edge on the inside. (Assuming that your tread pattern allows for running them in both directions of course.)
I do this as well.

I run slicks, so I can put them on any corner. And when the outside edges start to wear down (because I do not run enough camber) then I get the tires flipped on the rim to even the wear on the other side of the tire.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:39 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Originally Posted by emptnest
Just like above said,

I take the tire off the wheels and put left tire on the right and vice versa.

Cheers!

Last edited by rkdc5z06; 06-18-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Curiosity question:
Does running a square setup make the car more prone to encountering ABS "ice mode"?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:39 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

I never have with my '00 hardtop, but IDK about the more modern systems.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire
Curiosity question:
Does running a square setup make the car more prone to encountering ABS "ice mode"?
Can't say, since I have never encountered the fabled "ice mode" other than when really driving on ice covered with a layer of water. Touched the brakes and all 4 instantly locked at the same time. That was a real "Ice Mode". There was so little friction the ABS never saw a difference in in wheel speeds and never activated.

Bill
Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Can't say, since I have never encountered the fabled "ice mode" other than when really driving on ice covered with a layer of water. Touched the brakes and all 4 instantly locked at the same time. That was a real "Ice Mode". There was so little friction the ABS never saw a difference in in wheel speeds and never activated.

Bill
+1
When I drive hard in the canyons and get the hops, All I get is

"Active Handling activated" for a second it and goes away.

never had Abs or other light came on.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:55 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Default So square seems like the clear winner

Will 10.5 c5 Z rears fit all around on the 93 C4?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

C4's run best square,,,, period....

The reason is that the car is a bit nose heavy and putting big tires on the back gets you nothing but makes the car push. If you try to run bigger tires on the back you can't put enough bar on the back before the rear end jacks due to the rear roll center height.

It's embedded in the DNA.. Just run it square and don"t waste time trying to figure out a setup that will let you run bigger tires in the back. To do it and make it worthwhile you need to rework the rear geometry to lower the rear roll center or you are wasting your time.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
It used to happen in autocross in C4's all the time. Or if you are on the track it can happen often. The reason is that sometimes you have to hit the brakes when the car is really light on one or more wheels and it goes right into ice mode. You will probably not see it on the street much, but if you have one wheel on a really dirty surface (like at the edge of a street where the road has a patch of gravel on it) and if you are braking really hard it can get into ice mode in a heartbeat.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Solofast
C4's run best square,,,, period....

The reason is that the car is a bit nose heavy and putting big tires on the back gets you nothing but makes the car push. If you try to run bigger tires on the back you can't put enough bar on the back before the rear end jacks due to the rear roll center height.

It's embedded in the DNA.. Just run it square and don"t waste time trying to figure out a setup that will let you run bigger tires in the back. To do it and make it worthwhile you need to rework the rear geometry to lower the rear roll center or you are wasting your time.
Ok I'm sold on the square set up. I appreciate everyone's advice.

So, given that, will c5 z rears (18 x 10.5) fit on all four corners, or should I limit myself to the 17 x 11 A molds mentioned in the initial posts above?

Get notified of new replies

To Square tire set up vs staggered

Old 06-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by emptnest
No I'm not rotating. The tires are wearing nice and evenly.

I've heard a lot of AutoX guys run square 315 setup.

A lot of people here say that a staggered is going to push, but I've yet to have that happen at all. Next year I'm going to Hoosier R6's in the 275 fronts and 315 rears.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
No I'm not rotating. The tires are wearing nice and evenly.

I've heard a lot of AutoX guys run square 315 setup.

A lot of people here say that a staggered is going to push, but I've yet to have that happen at all. Next year I'm going to Hoosier R6's in the 275 fronts and 315 rears.
You would most likely be faster with the 315's all around. You could put in more front bar and have more grip on the front with the bigger tires, provided you can keep them flat on the ground.

This goes back to the thread on how much tire is "enough" and is more better after that. Typically if you have "enough" tire more doesn't help that much. If you don't have "enough" then more tire brings big benefits. It is very dependent on the tire, the setup, what the tire likes, and the velocity of the relative wind....
Old 06-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
What he said. Except I'm running 315's all around. MOAR TYRE PLZ!

Quick Reply: Square tire set up vs staggered