Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picture tutorial on Installing Trackspec Motorsports C6 vented hood extractor louvers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:02 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Yarn tuft testing at 80mph

With the louvers installed directly behind radiator shroud without cutting the hood bracing. The airflow carries a noticeable amount of sound from the engine bay that you can hear with the targa top off the car.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:38 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Photo of the rain trough template I used.
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome looking!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:43 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the writeup. I used your measurements for my install. Unfortunately, i don't have the patience that you do so my cuts arent as clean. I should have test fit them and cut out more hood material exposed under the louvers. But its good enough for me. I left the hood installed and cut the holes for the side vents from the underside. I'll be at thunderhill tomorrow and it should be in the low 90's.
Btw the louvers are very nice looking, really happy with them.
Name:  0821141957a_zpsc41b1d5b.jpg
Views: 4311
Size:  64.8 KB
Old 08-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Nice work!!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

:lurK:.. interested in doing this..
Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

turned out real nice and saved some big cash in the mean time
Old 08-25-2014, 10:20 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm trying to call the number on their site and it says no longer listed. Anyone have a better/new number?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I just called the number and it worked for me. I used the number at this website:
http://www.trackspecmotorsports.com/

888-755-5135
Old 08-26-2014, 06:56 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Email is a good way to contact him.
The louvers worked great. I noticed less front lift on the 90+mph turns. I didn't notice any big difference in cooling because I decided to put the stock tstat back in. Maybe around 5-10* lower on the water. The coolant temp does drop back down to 190* from a long idle a lot faster.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:08 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ordered and on the way.

Question, not sure I understand the rain guard on the alternator side. I understand what and why but wouldn't it just pile up in there and eventually spill over? Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Angled to the rear so it spills off the back behind the alternator.
Not really needed, just thought it may be a good idea as my car sits in the rain alot.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:29 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

On-track testing at VIR. Taped strings to louvers and to the hood. The strings on the hood stay flush to the hood. The strings on the louvers show plenty airflow at all speeds. Noticeable improvement in reducing front end lift above 130mph.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:36 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

After installing the Trackspec Motorsports louvers and having them on the car for a few months I am very happy with the results.

At Sebring during very hot sessions they dropped coolant temps quite a bit.

Running Daytona having the vented hood really helps plant the car at speed. Feels solid at 177 MPH with a sidewind.

Plus they just look good on the street.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:23 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Awesome

Still don't see them on website yet

Last edited by Whis9; 11-16-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:42 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by Whis9
Awesome

Still don't see them on website yet
Email is the best way to get hold of them.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:03 AM
0John@TrackSpec
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trackspec Hood Vents

Hey guys!

This is John from Trackspec Motorsports. My apologies for the for not replying earlier in the posts but we have just become an official CF vendor! We were a vendor on here a couple of years ago so it feels great to get back into the community.

A great big thanks to Matt for posting this fantastic tutorial on installation and results in addition to the others that have the product and have chimed in with pics/feedback. Its truly a great feeling to see our designs in action with great results and happy customers.

Moving forward, please feel free to contact me directly via email John@trackspecmotorsports.com, PM thru here, or 888-755-5135. Email and PM are best as we are not always at the desk! Our old website does not have these listed as of yet and we will be launching our new website shortly featuring the vents. Until then, feel free to contact us directly!

Thanks again to all that have posted, your support is truly appreciated!

John@Trackspec

Get notified of new replies

To Picture tutorial on Installing Trackspec Motorsports C6 vented hood extractor louvers

Old 11-27-2014, 07:36 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
I was concerned about cutting out the center rib and huge holes, but with the louvers installed the hood is about the same stiffness and weight.

Was very easy to install and align hood on car "with my wife's help".
Mark bolt washer locations on hinge and put marks on original hood to act as reference points.

Don't have any road-course track temperature or handling data yet, Sebring and Daytona as soon as the rains stop. Vents do move quite a bit of hot air and have dropped temps on the street.

Do not test how much air your fan is moving by putting your hand on top of vent. Dont ask how hot they get? Hot air, header heat and Florida sun.
Any recordable reduce in temps? Looks great!
Old 11-27-2014, 11:53 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Any recordable reduce in temps? Looks great!
Yes; I do full EFILive Autocal wideband data logs every track session.

Avg 15 degree engine temp. and 20 degree oil temp. drops on track, factoring in ambient condition changes.

Street temps much lower with thermostat controlling completely on highway, and 15-25 degrees lower in traffic. Did the vents for the track as I have never seen any cooling problems on the street, no idea how you could get a C6 hot on the street even in hot climates?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 PM
one bad Z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
After multiple track days here in Florida dealing with stupid heat, I needed / wanted a vented hood to help with cooling & for a bit of lift reduction.
The heat at Sebring in the summer is stifling, and really want the car stuck to the pavement coming out of NASCAR turn 4 at Daytona.

Love the first class $$-$$$$ high end carbon fiber hoods from ACP World Challenge, LG Motorsports, Black Dog & Halltech.
The lower cost hoods I looked at just didn't have the vented area I wanted. Many have big "decorative" louvers, but small actual vents.
Not to mention all the horror stories of trying to make them fit, heavy weight and the cost of painting.

Liked the idea of making an extractor hood & adding louvering to a hood myself. After quite a bit of searching found some nice custom aluminum vents from John at Trackspec Motorsports.
http://www.trackspecmotorsports.com/
These vents seemed like just the ticket. Nice custom C6 or C5 specific design louvers that were developed and tested on GT2 corvettes for flow and durability. Enough sq/in area to make a big difference in under hood temps.

Retail is $299 for the set & come nicely finished, with pilot holes, templates for installation and advice from someone that cares.
I can't emphasize enough how great this shops communication and costumer service has been.

Consulted an engineer buddy, did some air flow modeling, looked at C6 airflow graphs. Then gave up and positioned templates where they just seemed best to me taking into account radiator edge, boundary airflow & support structure.

Positioned center panel leading edge "not cut" 13 7/8" back from center front edge. Side panels with a slight 1/8" offset 6 3/8" at front side and 6 1/2" at rear side from edge of hood to edge of panel. Side panels 24" back from front ege of hood on same plane. This positioned the side cuts just into the supporting rib.

If I were to install another one I may position the center louver about 3/8" fwd.? Didnt want the aft edges to overlap the edge of the hump but could safely go another inch or 2 fwd.

Note: Hole that fell inside center hood rib. Would have been better in center of support or on either side, not on the edge.

This put center panel first vent just aft of radiator for maximum cooling.

Cut holes in hood slightly undersized using a jig saw and fine tooth metal blade. Note: A fine tooth wood blade dulled after 2 inches.
Used a 1/2" sanding drum to rough out edges.

WOW you nd i think a lot alike ! could you please PM me what the exact product numbers so I can make this setup. during the summer months in LA it gets hot for my LS7
Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Picture tutorial on Installing Trackspec Motorsports C6 vented hood extractor louvers