Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushings!!! racer/track rat advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:59 PM
maxG
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bushings!!! racer/track rat advice

Ok,
I got great feeback on the questions I had about aftermarket brakes.Hoping to get the same quality feedback on bushings. I have done searches on here and other forums, and read up. Still confused.
Seems not many options, and that ones with zerk fittings are desirable for anything that is a friction bushing and not a shear/flex bushing like our OE rubber stuff.

So what do you all recommend from experience? I still street drive this so solids and heims are not an option. I dont mind greasing these up via zerks every so often.

Do i even need poly, or delrin? I eventually will be considering coilovers but was told get stiffer bushings first.

also, since the rubber bushings actually add spring rate if i go to a poly how much wheel rate will i lose? enough to be concerned with/ noticeable?

for reference regarding rubber vs poly

http://www.elephantracing.com/techto...nefriction.htm

thanks!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:17 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive my Delrin-bushed 07 Z06 on the street all the time. I can't say I notice much difference from the change from OE rubber.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Urethane bushings from Phat, street driven. No zerks, 2+ years with the sticky lube they supplied, and only an occasional squeek. Delrin is probably better for the track...
Old 10-07-2014, 05:08 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My stock rubber bushings are all deformed and pushing out the arms now. The guys at Van Steel recommended the Delrin bushings for my use with which primarily a track car driven too and from each event. They said Delrin won't deform like Poly, won't need a lubrication and should not squeak. You might hear some additional NVH but overall it should be tolerable. Cost is about $1200 plus any installation costs.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:09 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by parsonsj
I drive my Delrin-bushed 07 Z06 on the street all the time. I can't say I notice much difference from the change from OE rubber.
Where did you get your Delrin bushings?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
Cost is about $1200 plus any installation costs.
I'd love to do delrin on my now street driven C5Z, but $1200 buys a lot of R compounds depending on how many Toyo Bucks I'm holding. What are the poly options for us? I know ENS makes a set, but have heard jack and shjt for feedback on them.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:11 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Our Spherical bearing solution uses really high quality teflon Lined Bearings. This keeps the street driving road noise down some.

Delrin will not allow for any Caster changes/tuning. Poly is only good enough for the upper A arms because they are not as loaded as the lower arms.

it all depends upon how many times a year you go to the track.

also, even Drag racers need Spherical bearings in the rear suspension.

Give my guys a call about our Coil overs, Sway bars and Spherical bearing kits. I am sure they can help you choose.

We keep Poly and Spherical bearings in stock.

thanks

Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Originally Posted by skfx430
Where did you get your Delrin bushings?
Van Steel here in Florida. I've got 8.5* of caster on both sides, no issues there.

Last edited by parsonsj; 10-07-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I have sphericals and had polys. My car is race only but my two cents is sphericals. They rock. You feel more but I can't recall the noise difference. If you daily drive I guess you would hate it.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
I have sphericals and had polys. My car is race only but my two cents is sphericals. They rock. You feel more but I can't recall the noise difference. If you daily drive I guess you would hate it.
Agreed, I had them on my daily driver ZR1 and loved them.

LG
Old 10-08-2014, 12:46 PM
maxG
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so I am still getting mixed info. Some suggest Delrin, some poly, and some sphericals. I have been told stay away from sphericals for my application by everyone i have spoken to at the track. I track the car 8-12 events a summer, some autoX and a hill climb, and then street drive it 5-7k a year. I had solid links in my last project car and it was nice on the track, crappy on the street, borderline miserable. So since this is a dual purpose car what do you think? I appreciate the feedback but it seems to be from many different car applications, some of which seem to be track only or limited use cars. I really am targeting a car that's almost the equivalent to a porsche GT3 in the sense that it is very track capable but also comfortable on the street. thoughts?
Also Lou I am eyeing your Coilovers for next season
Old 10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

I am getting more confused by the day about Poly vs Delrin. My car is primarily track but needs to be driven too and from each event so the monos will be ruled out. Squeaking from the Polys doesn't sound like much fun either. But, Lou mentioned that the Delrins will prevent you from getting the correct castor on the car which doesn't help matters either. I might be better off just sticking with the rubber bushings for now.

I had a GT3 and there is a big difference between the Z06 and GT3. I like the driving experience of the GT3 a lot more along with the workmanship and fine details of the Porsche. The GT3 is nearly perfect for the track and street without much done to it. All you had to do is really flush the brake fluid, and even the car had tolerable stock brake pads which were Pagids. The consumables on the car were very high for tires, brakes, rotors, etc. which ultimately lead me to buy a Z06.

The Z06 is much faster and needs more work to get the car ready for the track. New wheels, tires, brake fluid, seat, radiator, oil cooler, etc. But, when fully prepped, the Z06 is still cheaper by a very far margin. Plus, you get a car that is faster and better handling than the GT3. The driving experience isn't quite up to the GT3, but the smile on your face when you pass most the Porsche makes it all worth it especially knowing your are saving big $$$.

I enjoy both cars, and the GT3 is like a fine scapel, and the Z06 is almost like a big meat cleaver. Both will get the job done but in different ways.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Urethane bushings from Phat, street driven. No zerks, 2+ years with the sticky lube they supplied, and only an occasional squeek. Delrin is probably better for the track...

If you can find these (company closed) they are the solution & I also go 2 yrs between grease & they are FINE when I take them apart.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:41 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Asking whether a type of bushing is ok for the street is pointless IMO. It's a 100% subjective opinion depending on how much NVH etc the particular person answering can handle.

Your tolerance will differ from everyone elses. A lot depends what you can get used.

People get in my car for a ride and b4 we go 1/4 mile that say "What is wrong with your car?"

To me it feels great (Pfadt poly).

The only way to really decide is to drive or at least ride in a car with each type and make your conclusion.

Same on exhaust sound for example. Too loud for one is too quiet for the next.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM
LG Motorsports

I am getting more confused by the day about Poly vs Delrin. My car is primarily track but needs to be driven too and from each event so the monos will be ruled out. Squeaking from the Polys doesn't sound like much fun either. But, Lou mentioned that the Delrins will prevent you from getting the correct castor on the car which doesn't help matters either. I might be better off just sticking with the rubber bushings for now.

I had a GT3 and there is a big difference between the Z06 and GT3. I like the driving experience of the GT3 a lot more along with the workmanship and fine details of the Porsche. The GT3 is nearly perfect for the track and street without much done to it. All you had to do is really flush the brake fluid, and even the car had tolerable stock brake pads which were Pagids. The consumables on the car were very high for tires, brakes, rotors, etc. which ultimately lead me to buy a Z06.

The Z06 is much faster and needs more work to get the car ready for the track. New wheels, tires, brake fluid, seat, radiator, oil cooler, etc. But, when fully prepped, the Z06 is still cheaper by a very far margin. Plus, you get a car that is faster and better handling than the GT3. The driving experience isn't quite up to the GT3, but the smile on your face when you pass most the Porsche makes it all worth it especially knowing your are saving big $$$.

I enjoy both cars, and the GT3 is like a fine scapel, and the Z06 is almost like a big meat cleaver. Both will get the job done but in different ways.

It is a case of "Good, Better, Best" If the goal is the best on track then that makes the decision much easier.

if you have a car that is driven 90% on track then there is no answer but to go with Spherical/Monomials. Our Spherical bearings do not "click" or get loose like the old Puff daddy parts did.

Once you get to the level where you are at, you can turn that "Meat Cleaver" into a fine scapel without much work. Coil overs, spherical bearings and our Sway bars and you will be impressed at how precise the Corvette Z06 works.

either way, eventually you will step up to the level that you are happy with.

Enjoy your car and Call us if we can answer any questions. We have Poly, and spherical mono ***** in stock. Delrin is an unnecessary middle step with some disadvantages resulting from the "fixed Bushing Centerline".
Old 10-08-2014, 03:27 PM
parsonsj
Racer

I understand the issue with Delrin in that it will resist (more than poly, and a lot more OEM rubber) being pulled off the UCA centerline (assuming a camber kit in the LCA) in order to get caster adjustment. But it is somewhat malleable, and caster can still be adjusted.

Lou, any thoughts on using Delrin on the rear, where there isn't a caster adjustment?
Old 10-10-2014, 06:01 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Here's an article I recently wrote about heim joints. It's pretty basic and it'll get you up to speed.

Richard Newton

Get notified of new replies

To Bushings!!! racer/track rat advice

Old 10-10-2014, 07:58 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I am getting more confused by the day about Poly vs Delrin. My car is primarily track but needs to be driven too and from each event so the monos will be ruled out. Squeaking from the Polys doesn't sound like much fun either.
You are getting varied advice because as you can see there is no one solution that works best for everyone. Over the six years I've owned a C5 I went from OEM rubber to Phadt Poly (with zerks) to LG sphericals. Each has their pros and cons but without a doubt the precision, feel and response increased with each step, as did the NVH. Aside from concerns of 'streetability' another factor that must be considered is how hard one drives on track. An advanced and aggressive driver running slicks on high G tracks will tear up the polys in time, especially the rear lower bushings. So if you are that kind of driver - you will end up replacing polys every couple of years (for anyone who thinks different...pull out your rear bushings after ~25 track days and see how the holes get elongated). In the end you need to evaluate not only your own tolerance for NVH but also how hard you drive the car. Delrin may very well be the best option for you but for me - give me them solid *****! They rock.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:47 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by argonaut
You are getting varied advice because as you can see there is no one solution that works best for everyone. Over the six years I've owned a C5 I went from OEM rubber to Phadt Poly (with zerks) to LG sphericals. Each has their pros and cons but without a doubt the precision, feel and response increased with each step, as did the NVH. Aside from concerns of 'streetability' another factor that must be considered is how hard one drives on track. An advanced and aggressive driver running slicks on high G tracks will tear up the polys in time, especially the rear lower bushings. So if you are that kind of driver - you will end up replacing polys every couple of years (for anyone who thinks different...pull out your rear bushings after ~25 track days and see how the holes get elongated). In the end you need to evaluate not only your own tolerance for NVH but also how hard you drive the car. Delrin may very well be the best option for you but for me - give me them solid *****! They rock.
Exactly
Old 10-16-2014, 12:59 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I upgraded to LG sphericals last year. The car is easier to control at the limit because you are in better touch with what the tires are doing. For the street, running sphericals would be less of an issue than running 20" rims with small sidewall tires IMO. Run 18" rims and tires with some sidewall to soak up bumps and you'll be fine in a street/track car. If you are mostly street driving then you don't need sphericals.

I've taken some hard hits at the track and bent and broken control arms and the LG bearings have survived. TC Design is in the process of trying to swap some bearings from broken arms to replacement arms right now.

Quick Reply: Bushings!!! racer/track rat advice