Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dodging a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Default Dodging a Mustang

Even vintage racing, can be perilous!

This video was shot from Jim Glass' 65 Corvette vintage racer, in the SVRA Group 6 race, at The Glen's US Vintage Grand Prix last month.

The Mustang is owned by a friend of ours from England. He keeps the car in NY, and flies over a couple times a year to race it. At The Glen, he was sharing it with his 20ish son. It was only his son's second weekend in the car, and the first time in it, he crashed it at Sebring! In all fairness to his son, he does race a vintage MG in England, and I think he's just having a tough learning curve, with tracks that are new to him and the Mustang's extra power. To his credit, after the race he came immediately to our trailer, and apologized to Jim,.......and to also thank Jim for not hitting him!

Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That was tough, left, right or middle?
Old 10-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

My instinct is usually to dodge on the outside. Of course to caveat that, it depends.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:57 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Phew!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:35 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like how your first statement was "even vintage racing can be perilous" but as soon as he passes the spin a $hitty 90s mustang shoots out. I think that single handedly ruined the "vintage"
Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The kid was all over the track. Judging by the tire smoke it looks like he didn't get the downshift done well going into the toe. He almost lost the car going into T8 because he tried to get back on line for the turn Vs making an off line entry. The spin in T9 (Off Camber left) is typical of either too much throttle or sudden lifting in a slow (mid 50s) turn especially with the changes in track surface that occur right in that area. Asphalt, new concrete followed by old concrete and then asphalt. I have seen a lot of cars hit that inside wall over the years.

Bill
Old 10-15-2014, 11:56 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

:eep:
Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The kid was all over the track. Judging by the tire smoke it looks like he didn't get the downshift done well going into the toe.

Bill
I'll agree that Danial's driving was a bit "erratic", but I can't lay all the blame on him, for the tire smoke. The right rear was locking up all weekend, when his father was behind the wheel, too.

I don't know if it was an issue with the spring rates, the brake bias, or something else. It's definitely not something, I've seen their car do that much before.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This is a great video for novice drivers as an example of what happens when you apex early, especially in an unforgiving corner with no run-off. Once committed to that line, he had no choice but to lift or brake during the turn. He was lucky to end up in the middle of the track rather than the guardrail.
When following a driver that commits the early apex, give yourself some room to get around him should physics prevail.

Get notified of new replies

To Dodging a Mustang

Quick Reply: Dodging a Mustang