Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i know what hoosier website said

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 06:20 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts
Default i know what hoosier website said

about leaving a6's out in the cold for the winter( in shed), if they are not on a car, just sitting on a bench will the cold hurt them? i have seen them get damaged being used in under 32 degrees, but sitting off the car? any one know?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:50 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I have read where IF they are slowly thawed out they SHOULD BE ok.

IMO I would avoid the issue if possible.

I would not get a comfy feeling going 150 ish on tires I knew had been frozen.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:10 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I left some on my car on the trailer all last winter, they took a few sessions to soften up, then felt fine. These were well used too.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:13 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Unfortunately, my building is quite old and cold. And I live/work in western PA. Mine see freezing temps. I'd recommend simply you donm't drive on them when that cold (if you can help it, we've had events where it was that cold to start). You can crack the rubber, it's not an all season or winter tire. Just have them off the car and you'll be ok.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:32 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts
Default thank you all

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Unfortunately, my building is quite old and cold. And I live/work in western PA. Mine see freezing temps. I'd recommend simply you donm't drive on them when that cold (if you can help it, we've had events where it was that cold to start). You can crack the rubber, it's not an all season or winter tire. Just have them off the car and you'll be ok.
and sam i will see you at hershey park for that two day autocross 25th, 26th. i still dont sleep well after that 5 second beating (on 60) you gave me at pocono this year. it was nice to see a corvette FTD the event( no it was great) thanks again
Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I keep mine in storage and stack on top of old tires so they aren't on the ground. When race compound rubber tires begin to degrade, they will show cracks which look like some one took a razor blade and sliced into the rubber
Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by savage
and sam i will see you at hershey park for that two day autocross 25th, 26th. i still dont sleep well after that 5 second beating (on 60) you gave me at pocono this year. it was nice to see a corvette FTD the event( no it was great) thanks again
Small world.

I'll be there, with a non-failed master cylinder this time! Looking forward to it, ought to be a battle in SSR, I know a few other fast guys are coming to end the year right.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The tires can get quite cold when being shipped around the country in the winter time. I don't believe the manufacturers hire heated trailers to move a truck load of tires from the plant to the various sales outlets. Then how many tire dealers have heated tire storage. I have seen plenty of non heated warehouses or in some cases old 18 wheeler trailers used as storage facilities. Just try to avoid running them when they are cold although that can be tough if you are at the Glen for a track day at the end of April with 32 degree ambient temps and snow flakes flying.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To i know what hoosier website said

Quick Reply: i know what hoosier website said