Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I have used contis

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:30 AM
woody6244
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should I have used contis

I am in the desert Northwest its cold in the spring and fall. Auto crossing at a road course last weekend it was cold and windy. I was using bfg Rivals the track was dry except for a few sprinkles of rain but dried fast from the wind. Lots of cars going off course including me. Would Conti extreme contact DW be better choice on a cold dry track?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Conti's suck period. After 4 heat cycles they are done anyway. This is road course experience. I can't imagine they are any good for a 60 second autocross, I usually need 1-2 laps of sliding through all the turns in order to get good heat in them. On the 5th heat cycle it takes 3-4 laps to get decent heat but even then they are still > 1 sec/lap slower.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:18 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
I think Conti's suck period. After 4 heat cycles they are done anyway. This is road course experience. I can't imagine they are any good for a 60 second autocross, I usually need 1-2 laps of sliding through all the turns in order to get good heat in them. On the 5th heat cycle it takes 3-4 laps to get decent heat but even then they are still > 1 sec/lap slower.
I don't think that street tires, such as Conti Extreme Contact DW, heat cycle out. They do become greasy at higher pressures and temperatures though.

Those Contis won't offer as much grip as Rivals under ideal conditions, but they also don't get as hard as stickier rubber when it is cold and wet out. I think that Pilot Super Sports would do much better than the Rivals, as even though they are a summer tire, they still remain sticky under less than ideal conditions - or so was my experience when I had them in the past.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Disregard, I was assuming he meant the conti CTSCC spec tires, my bad.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:40 AM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I didn't end up liking the Rival much but I thought they had pretty good cool temperature grip. But there is probably a crossover point with a tire like the DW somewhere...
Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Car and Driver compared these 2 tires (and 7 others) a couple years ago. The PSS won the comparison, but in the wet, the Conti DW wasn't far behind, and its 15-20% cheaper.

So best tire, PSS (especially dry), best value Conti.
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...res-tested.pdf
Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 AM
rotis
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cold autocross choice would be the RS3v2.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:13 AM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not Autoxing anymore, but the Hoosier A6 is the only tire I found to work in the cooler days when dry. I use them on the track for the same reason, they work when it is cooler, I use R6 when hotter days (rare on the west side!) Not sure if your class allows these or if you are street tire.

Get notified of new replies

To should I have used contis

Quick Reply: should I have used contis